Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,730Posts
    • 42,866Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 23
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 54,934 Posts
    • 219,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good weekend you all~~Z, Butti & Karmcat
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 12th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Good grief! Taking photos of meter readings never occured to me ... accidents, yes (though I might have forgotten in the stress of the moment) ... blimey.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Nor me. At all.
    My mind does not work like that.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    It's BG and npower - there is an expectation that things will not run smoothly...

https://switch.which.co.uk/energy-suppliers/energy-companies-rated.html

And the way things are going for me at the moment, I will not be emerging from paranoid mode for a while...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 12th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Have a good weekend you all~~Z, Butti & Karmcat
    And you too. No doing something I wouldn't...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 54,934 Posts
    • 219,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    And you too. No doing something I wouldn't...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    If only

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,824 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hiya

Yeah, my weekend's appallingly quiet, I confess ... but I'll try to make it a good one
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Hiya

Yeah, my weekend's appallingly quiet, I confess ... but I'll try to make it a good one
    Quiet weekends are good. I deliberately made this one quiet, as I've run out of steam...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    And from the annals of "extremely serious" and "extremely silly" all at the same time...

Always put something in the doorway of self-locking doors if you're working in there...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    So...trying to leave my "final meter reading" with npower...

This will be the "final meter reading" I've already left of course, but this is npower...

Estimated time on the phone of...forty freaking minutes!
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Received final bill from BT and it is...drum roll please...a 31p refund.

That's the billionaire playboy lifestyle paid for a while...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 54,934 Posts
    • 219,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    Received final bill from BT and it is...drum roll please...a 31p refund.

That's the billionaire playboy lifestyle paid for a while...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Oh where are we going?

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,824 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ha! I had an 89p credit from O2, and they had the cheek to tell me it was for information only, no refund ... then asked why I was leaving? I told them
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Oh where are we going?
    With my budget? I think it will just about stretch to a long expensive trip all the way to the foot of my stairs...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Ha! I had an 89p credit from O2, and they had the cheek to tell me it was for information only, no refund ... then asked why I was leaving? I told them
    With both barrels I hope...

It seems to be more and more of a trend with these companies to employ people who go "Oh it's such a shame you're leaving us... We're wonderful really, and you been with us such a loooong time."

"Hurry up and get off the phone. My will to live is already defibrillator dancing..."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 15th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    Butti
    Don't diss the £5 kettle - Ive always found them pretty good.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (2/15 )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Don't diss the £5 kettle - Ive always found them pretty good.
    Originally posted by Butti
    I don't diss them. My £3.97 previous kettle has lasted about 10 years. It may become the garage kettle once I get that cleared.

I do leave them off the base when not in use though. No sense in tempting fate (and I do read those "cheap kettle recall" notices)...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 15th Jan 18, 11:59 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    Butti
    Worth knowing.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (2/15 )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 16th Jan 18, 12:02 AM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    And how is Butti? Full of busy? And late nights?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 54,934 Posts
    • 219,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    Why leave kettle of the base when not using?

***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 16th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Why leave kettle of the base when not using?
    Because the way these cheapo-nastyo kettles often fail is that the switch (the one you flick on) fails. Often it shorts out, so putting power through the element without being pressed. And failing to stop putting power through the element when the kettle has boiled.

So a typical failure would be that it suddenly kicks on when you're not there, boils itself dry, then melts the plastic, then your kitchen top, then sets the kitchen on fire.

If it is physically separated from the electricity when you're not using it, then it can't do any of that.

It's unlikely to happen, but so is a fridge-freezer setting fire to a tower block.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,824 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh! That's a new one on me, thanks for asking and answering that ...
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,661Posts Today

8,656Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin