Plodding determinedly up a 300k mountain!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like a nice day for you today :):):)

Sad about your grandmother's friend ... but I like the more enlightened attitude that doesn't insist somebody like that should get fed intravenously. Having seen it at close quarters, I'm absolutely sure that that's a natural thing that happens. But it must be rough on your grandmother.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • michelle09
    Options
    Thanks KC. I agree, it's the same as with Grandad. He insisted on a DNR when we took him to hospital the final time. (The slight issue was that the Drs didn't hear him say it although the rest of the ward did!). He was done, and he was happy to go. Even if I still miss him and wished he hadn't.

I think the timing makes it rough on my Grandmother, but she understands her friend. Thankfully my Grandmother has found a whole new passion for life (at 89, so it really is never too late) but not everyone has that luxury. I just hope she finds peace, but this is an awful way to go.
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grrr on the non oven buyers!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • michelle09
    Options
    This! I've really been put off selling furniture online - had four instances of people not showing up. Only got two items up for sale.

The kitchen work has finally begun. :D It's all a bit of a mess, kitchen contents in the spare room, living room contents in the office. We have our mini kitchen under dust sheets (a fridge / microwave and kettle) but it's fine for now.

Going back to my parents at the end of the week to do some laundry as the washing machine has been disconnected.

They knocked through the wall today (we're making it a more open plan style) and I am very excited for it!

Current Balance: £246,700.00
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounding good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How exciting, i would love a new kitchen
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Exciting! And will be worth all the mess and hassle :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh boy! At least you live close enough to your mum and dad to take the washing there :) it sounds like its going to be great!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had no washing machine for a few weeks when our extension and utility was done last year. I spent a fortune at the launderette and that was wit doing a few loads at my mum's too. It was quite nice leaving it at the launderette and picking it up dry and folded but a bit of an expensive luxury.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • michelle09
    Options
    It's been a long week! Just got home from work, and back in tomorrow morning. I did have yesterday off and went home to see the family - it would have been Grandad's birthday (and tomorrow will be a year since we lost him) so we took my Grandmother out for a meal and I spent the afternoon with her. Took some decidedly non-MSE flowers but they made her happy. Her friend has developed sepsis so we are just waiting for the end now.

In happier news - the kitchen is starting to shape up. We did finally sell my Grandmother's old oven for £50 the day before it would have gone in the skip! Had a bit of a fight with the kitchen company who suddenly dropped the bombshell that the quote did not include painting the kitchen. Gave me some nonsense about not knowing the time needed (in a room he measured twice). We compromised that I would buy the paint but was not paying the £300 extra from them to paint it! The fitters themselves are lovely though, and doing a wonderful job.

try harder - we've been waiting nearly 2 years for this, am so excited it's finally happening!

Laundry is definitely a bug bear, CathT. Our local is £10/load but that's just the ability to use their washers and tumble dryers. I did a load at my parents yesterday (lovely parents) and next week we're going to offer to buy pizza / drinks for a friend to use theirs. Probably same price as a laundrette but we can have a nice evening with mates as well.

Ended up telling my boss I want to leave last week. Probably not the smartest move but they were fairly supportive, so hopefully it'll work? Never left a job because I was unhappy before so this is a brand new situation for me.

Should probably get to bed, hopefully everyone had a great weekend. :)

Current Balance: £246,700.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure