Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 6th Jan 11, 7:18 PM
    • 1,272Posts
    • 715Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Ground Source Heat Pumps
    • 6th Jan 11, 7:18 PM
    Ground Source Heat Pumps 6th Jan 11 at 7:18 PM
    If anyone wants info on these, then please let me know, as have had one for over 5 years.
Page 52
    • JHen
    • By JHen 8th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    Hi, my radiators upstairs seems to be cooler than the downstairs radiator, especially the radiator further away from the Heat Pump. Is there anything I can do about this or are radiators off the same "feed".
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 8th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    matelodave
    Have you tried bleeding them to get rid of any air in the system
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • JHen
    • By JHen 8th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have bleed them
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 8th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    matelodave
    OK then have they been OK and are now not heating up as well as they used to or have they allways been cooler.

Was the system balanced and has there been any tweaking of the radiator valves. Have you got TRV's or zone controls
    • JHen
    • By JHen 9th Jan 18, 6:55 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    We have lived in the property for just over a year and the rads upstairs, especially the one furthest away which definitely is cooler, appear cooler than downstairs. It's the furthest away one that is the main issue as it heats my daughter's bedroom which is always cold. I'm not sure if its the fact that this room only has one rad for a large room and this is making the rad appear cooler. I suppose I should get a digital thermometer and test to be sure. The system is several years old. All rads have TVR's which are all fully open. Apart from some tweaking to the control panel, as advised on this forum, we have had nothing done to the system.

As usual the prompt replies on this forum are much appreciated
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 9th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    matelodave
    If all the TRV are fully open then they aren't really doing their job. It sounds like the system needs balancing as all the heat is being dissipated in the down stairs before it can get upstairs.

Havre a read up on Google on how to balance the rads and then you can adjust the TRVs so that they can do their job of regulating he temperatures.

You should also bear in mind that the radiator temperature will be lower with a heatpump than they are with a conventional boiler, usually around 40-50 degrees rather than 60+ so the system is a lot slower to react.

You really need to understand how the system works as you need to adjust timers etc differently to a conventional boiler as rooms will take longer to heat up so the system has to be on longer and ideally not shut off, but turned down a bit.

What other controls have you got and how are they set. (timers, thermostats etc). What make is your system and how is it configured

Perhaps others with a similar set up could advise you - I've got a airsource heat pump but with underfloor heating in a bungalow but it still took a whole winter before I'd learnt how it should be adjusted to get the best out of it.

It never gets turned off but it's got programmable thermostats which just turn it down by 3 degrees over night and up again an hour before we get up. If it's turned down too much or off it can take nearly 2 days to re-heat the house at this time of the year.
    Last edited by matelodave; 09-01-2018 at 9:07 AM.
    • beardymarrow
    • By beardymarrow 9th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    beardymarrow
    Yeah, agreed dave. My first port of call would be to turn down the rads downstairs on the trvs. If they are all fully open, then as you say they could be taking more than their fair share of the heat. See if that helps. If it does that suggests that the rads are out of balance. Balancing it would be a good idea. Balancing involves restricting the flow on some rads and opening up others so that all have the same temperature drop across them.
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 9th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Agree with the above comments re balancing the rads etc.
    It would be useful to have the make and model of the unit and what settings/timers you have set.
    You say that you tweeked the system, so what did you alter?
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
    • JHen
    • By JHen 11th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    It's an IVT Reg0637W (?)
    I had issues with electricity consumption previosly and change the following settings as advised (which appears to have worked)
    "Ok I have set 1.11 to 5 from 0. As soon as I did this the Shower Head light came on.
    Temp Inc from 3.1 to 4.0"

My current heating settings
    Temp incr/decr 4.5
    Temp fine tune 1.0
    Room Temp 24.6
    Heat RAD mode - heat pump only
    Stop 37.1 - Present 30.3

I have UFH in the hall and kitchen and rads in the rest of the downstairs and upstairs. I am awaiting delivery of an Infrared Thermometer to double check the temps of the rads.

I must confess I'm not clear on most of the settings and must take some time to read up on it - is there and Idiots Guide to IVT Heat pumps?
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 12th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Hi.
    Can you give me the the readings from GT1 to GT11 when the unit is in heating mode, ( not DHW)/
    Just a quick look at the figures you gave, seems to show that temp inc/dec seems to be set at underfloor heating level and not for a combined system. It should be at least 5.
    Room temp @ 24.6 is quite high.
    Looks like you are using the pump on compressor only heating? Flow cutoff temp looks low, depending on outside temp.
    • JHen
    • By JHen 12th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    GT1 33.2 30.2
    GT2 7.9
    GT3 47.0 46.5
    GT4 28.7 30.3
    GT5 24.6 24.4
    GT6 70.2
    GT7 there is no GT7
    GT8 37.7
    GT9 30.7
    GT10 75.0
    GT11 -1.8
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 12th Jan 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Looks like you have a faulty sensor on GT10, but that only requires a change.
    Gt1, which is reading the heat settings is low due to the 4.5, so turn that up to 5.5 at the moment.
    Can you also look at the alarms and let me know if there are any recent?
    • JHen
    • By JHen 13th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    I have a new sensor, you had identified this last year, but I have not replaced

I have set the Heat Temp. incr/decr from 4.5 to 5.5
    The last alarm was 15 may 2017 Low pressure sensor.

An aside Q, Can the LCD display be changed as mine is missing a few pixels and flickers?
    • JHen
    • By JHen 13th Jan 18, 10:30 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    I have also turned the heating down to 22.5
    • beardymarrow
    • By beardymarrow 13th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    beardymarrow
    I have also turned the heating down to 22.5
    Originally posted by JHen
    22.5 still seems like a really high room temperature target. Ours is at 19 and is currently at 19.5 which feels perfect. I notice though that your current indoor temperature is 24.4, so maybe you just like it warmer than us :-)
    Last edited by beardymarrow; 13-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    • JHen
    • By JHen 13th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    I have since turned this up to 23.5 as you can feel the house is colder.
    The internal sensor is located in the hall, which is a reasonably size, away from the front door.
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 13th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Yes, you can change the display unit, will probably be quite expensive. Check the connections first, as may only need some switch cleaner.
    Let me know the age of the unit.
    Look in K2 menu, as would like to see the % heating to DHW production, this includes the electrical cassette operation . What cycle have you got disinfection set at in days?
    Is it the C model with the integral hot water tank, or the E with the external unit?
    • JHen
    • By JHen 13th Jan 18, 3:11 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    Unit was installed June 2008 and it's an IVT HT+ C7 integral HWC.
    7.2 read 33% DHW and 67% RAD
    How do I check for disinfection cycle. I searched the online manual and do not see this.

I have noticed that for 4.? I have the HP and DWH set to Off for Mon-Fri 22:00-04:50 and Sat/Sun 23:59-06:00.
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 14th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Disinfection cycle is another word for Hot Water Peak. Menu K2 , section 2.2.
    33% on DHW is high, unless you do use a very large amount of hot water. Normally, the % would be a 20/80 split approximately.
    Have you checked for air in the internal tank? If not, remove the front cover of the pump and you will see a small knurled brass nut at the top of the insulated tank. Open this slowly, let any air out, until just water (hot) escapes and then close.
    Good idea to replace GT10 by removing the side panel as well!!
    Timer settings for the water in the menu look ok, unless you need the water before 06.00 on the Sunday. Hope I did not misread, that you have the heating off as well for those times!!!
    Last edited by lovesgshp; 14-01-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    • JHen
    • By JHen 14th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JHen
    2.2 says Mo
    Clock Setting HP is says off for those periods but when I change "Mo" to "mo" the "off" has gone.. I think when the HP was costing me a fortune last year before I found this forum I may have turned it off for those times.

Now the panel has frozen I cannot "Return" of "Adjust" ! IGNORE - off/on resolved this.
    Last edited by JHen; 14-01-2018 at 6:27 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,747Posts Today

9,773Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin