Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brickers911
    • By brickers911 12th Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    brickers911
    Gas meter Imperial or metric
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    Gas meter Imperial or metric 12th Jan 18 at 4:29 PM
    I,ve been giving my meter readings online to the supplier today and it got me thinking, how do they know that I have an imperial gas meter for which every unit is 1 cubic foot of gas as opposed to a cubic metre of gas which is considerably more. So as I give the readings in units ie this month it was 819 as opposed to the last reading 720, ive used 99 units this month. how do I know if im being billed for 99 cubic ft or 99 cubic metres?
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    Have a look at your gas bill and see what they've used for the calculation. Have a shufti hetre to see the difference. Actually the units used are 100's of cubic ft - they dont count the red numbers

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/gas-meter-readings-and-bill-calculation
    Last edited by matelodave; 12-01-2018 at 4:43 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 13th Jan 18, 8:16 AM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:16 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:16 AM
    Your meter is marked m3 if it's Metric, or ft3 if it's Imperial

Imperial meters deliver 100 cubic feet of gas for each meter unit
    Metric meters deliver 1 cubic metre of gas fer each meter unit, which is 183% less than an Imperial meter

Suppliers mixing up the type of meter you have are not uncommon - A quick check is to divide the number of KWh charged on the bill by the meter units used - If the answer is appx 11.2 you are being charged as having a Metric meter. - If the answer is appx 31.5 they think you have an Imperial meter
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    Imperial meters deliver 100 cubic feet of gas for each meter unit
    Metric meters deliver 1 cubic metre of gas fer each meter unit, which is 183% less than an Imperial meter
    Originally posted by dogshome
    That doesn't make any sense. If your meter has gone up by 1m, then the gas supplier has sucked 83 cubic feet of gas out of your home?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,770Posts Today

9,852Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin