PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenancy ending nowhere to go, advice please

2»

Comments

• joehfax
    joehfax Posts: 25 Forumite
    An s21 notice does not end a tenancy nor require tenant to leave: If merely, on expiry & if valid (many are not - check it against...
    https://markprichard.co.uk/content/documents/180408-Section-21-checker-tool.pdf

)
    - permits landlord to start court eviction process:

Takes months... If notice invalid DO NOT TELL LANDLORD!! That will merely get a correct notice quicker...

Don't panic, you've way way more time. Perhaps landlord would wish to "encourage" you to go by some particular date, for lots of £££. I'd want £5k+

Thanks for your reply, we are not really interested in getting money out of the LL we just want a place to stay till we find somewhere else. Thanks for your advice re evictions.
  • joehfax
    Or try Openrent. My ex couldn't even get LA's to register him as a prospective tenant when he tried to register with them. Used Openrent and out of three properties he looked at, he was offered 2. He had two dogs. It seems LA's just say no, meeting a LL face to face, they don't use the same formulae.

Thanks for pointing openrent out, I hadn't heard of this before. I will keep an eye on this.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    joehfax wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for your reply, we are in England and the letter was a section 21 notice, I'm not sure if it's a contractual or statutory period tenancy, what is the difference?

Thanks again.

Please do take the time to read the information in the link I provided as it explains the difference and the notice required for each.
  • faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Just want to say I feel for you, I'm in the same boat with an eviction, it's extremely stressful and scary. It wrecks your sense of security. I'm sure you will find a rental that takes a dog eventually, though, even if you have to pay extra deposit to cover any damage. I have cats and I've never declared it to LL but cat's arn't as noisy as dogs.
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Have you considered just not telling landlords/agents about the dog? You aren't looking for somewhere you want to live for many years, a 6-12 month tenancy should be long enough for you to find somewhere more suitable and permanent.
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There's another thread about dogs currently active which might help. My advice in there is gumtree (as well as the other alternatives suggested here). I've moved a lot last 10 years and never had a problem with 2 large collies, obviously it narrows your options somewhat and you may need a bigger deposit.
  • joehfax
    Just want to say I feel for you, I'm in the same boat with an eviction, it's extremely stressful and scary. It wrecks your sense of security. I'm sure you will find a rental that takes a dog eventually, though, even if you have to pay extra deposit to cover any damage. I have cats and I've never declared it to LL but cat's arn't as noisy as dogs.

Thanks for your comment, yeah it's getting pretty stressful tbh but we are trying to keep calm, like you say our sense of security has been ripped up.
  • joehfax
    Have you considered just not telling landlords/agents about the dog? You aren't looking for somewhere you want to live for many years, a 6-12 month tenancy should be long enough for you to find somewhere more suitable and permanent.

Hi Thanks, my gf did suggest we not tell anyone about our dog, like you say we would be hoping we would only be renting for another 6 months, I don't want to be dishonest but if push comes to shove we might have to do that, and face the consequences if and when we are found out.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    joehfax wrote: »
    Hi Thanks, my gf did suggest we not tell anyone about our dog, like you say we would be hoping we would only be renting for another 6 months, I don't want to be dishonest but if push comes to shove we might have to do that, and face the consequences if and when we are found out.

I don't think there'd be many consequences to be honest, if your dog didn't cause any damage what could they be?

The tide is turning against landlords who try to stop people treating the houses they rent as homes, I wouldn't feel any guilt at all.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    As a rule of thumb, you can afford to rent something better than you can afford to buy - it might be that you're being "a bit picky" when looking at houses to buy.

I appreciate you don't want to live in a !!!!!! hole .... but maybe you're being too dismissive of what is in your price bracket and, due to you being under notice at your rental, are letting that dark cloud dampen your enthusiasm.

Fact: Pretty much NOBODY likes the houses they can afford. Most people compromise, often on a lot of things .... so it might be worth your while taking a fresh look, maybe even viewing them all if there's "something about them" (e.g. in your price bracket, where you'd like to be) ... as seeing them in the flesh is always different to photos online.

As I said at the start - most people find that they can afford to rent something better than they can afford to buy .... and, having lived where you are for so long you're "used to" a certain level of quality, space, access to services, etc that you're now going to have to set aside.

Buy a house ..... and set that as your goal, because "the ideal house" will never be in your reach, even if you had another £30-50k available you'd still not like what you could afford as your mind-set shifts with every extra few £££ you have available.

You don't really want to move to rent again do you .... so crack on and buy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure