7 Day Switching

When you change energy provider there is a 14 day "cooling off" period before the 3 day switching process commences. Is there a similar thing for bank accounts, meaning the fastest switch can be achieved in 14 days (7 days "cooling off" plus the 7 day switch guarantee)?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    No, there's no cooling off period as such, but there's nothing stopping people from choosing a switching date more than seven working days away if they aren't fully ready to commit - see https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/helpandsupport/Pages/help.aspx
    What if I change my mind?
    You can cancel your switch up to seven working days before your switch date. After that only certain elements can be cancelled. Your new bank or building society will guide you through this process if you decide to cancel your switch
  • Psyduck1980
    Psyduck1980 Posts: 139
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    No, there's no cooling off period as such, but there's nothing stopping people from choosing a switching date more than seven working days away if they aren't fully ready to commit - see https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/helpandsupport/Pages/help.aspx
    Thank you. In my experience it seems like the 7 day switch is more concept than reality (in that when offered a switching date you don't seem to get one 7 days in the future).

Do you know what happens if a new DD is set up on the "old" account after the switch has been initiated? Does it get moved to the "new" account like all the other existing DDs?
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,643
    Forumite
    I have made several of my switches last, in effect, longer than 7 days simply by choosing a switch date more than 7 days ahead. You choose the switch date - i.e the date when the 7 days finish.

Up until the 7 days start you can change your mind completely. Once the 7 days start some things may be difficult to stop.

And of course many '7-day' switches take far longer anyway, if it involves a new account being opened first. That account will take a few days (at least) to open usually, and the switch can't commence until it's ready. That's why many dates aren't '7 days in the future'.

One switch I did - a business account from HSBC to Yorkshire - was activated before the 7 day period we chose, which was annoying (and implied neither HSBC or Yorkshire read the switch documentation) and meant we lost access to the HSBC statements we intended to download before we were ready. So be wary of that possibility!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    Forumite
    Do you know what happens if a new DD is set up on the "old" account after the switch has been initiated? Does it get moved to the "new" account like all the other existing DDs?
    Worth spending some time reading through the FAQ pages that I linked previously, as this one is also answered there:
    Will the Current Account Switch Service automatically transfer new payment arrangements if I set them up at my old bank within 7 working days of the switch date agreed with my new bank?
    No. The Current Account Switch Service will take care of all payment arrangements at your old bank up until 7 working days before your agreed switch date. If you want to set up new payment arrangements during the 7 working day period leading up to your switch date you must do this on your new account.
  • Psyduck1980
    Psyduck1980 Posts: 139
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Worth spending some time reading through the FAQ pages that I linked previously, as this one is also answered there:
    Thanks for rooting this out.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have just opened a Barclay's account and said that I wanted to switch. I need to take my documents into a branch tomorrow for verification. (10th May) They tell me that the switch will take place on the 18th.
    If they do not see my paperwork this week- 4 days to choose from - my choice- then the switch won't happen.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    It is perfectly possible to initiate and complete a switch in seven days.

First Direct impose a 14 day cooling off period, so switching with them actually takes 21 days! I'm not absolutely convinced that they should be doing this!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Zanderman wrote: »
    I have made several of my switches last, in effect, longer than 7 days simply by choosing a switch date more than 7 days ahead. You choose the switch date - i.e the date when the 7 days finish....

There may be some limits on this though - Barclays for example only allow a date within the next 14 working days. So for example it is still too soon to ask them for a switch on or after 1st June.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport