BT Broadband reviews?

Options
I'm considering swtiching my broadband to BT and I've just been looking around for reviews... but nearly every single review I can find is extremely negative and outright aggressive. Like these people are all acting as if BT were the devil incarnate. It's all "DISGUSTING COMPANY", "LYING SCAM MONGERS", "!!!!!!!S", "WORST BROADBAND IN THE WORLD!!!!". The general consensus seems to be that BT give you low speeds, bad connections, bad service, overcharge you, insult you and constantly threaten to fine you.

They have a 90% negative score on Trustpilot (not that Trustpilot can really be trusted).

I find it hard to beleive BT can have such a bad reputation. Can anyone at all verify this? It seems rather suspicous to me, like a storm of fake reviews by their competitors.

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm sure people have trouble but my experience (and have been with them a long time) is that the service (both Broadband and Telephone) work. I don't like their overseas call centres but have rarely had to use them.
    At some point I had the free TV service and didn't want it and to make them understand that was quite hard but eventually successful. I don't feel that much moved to change when my contract reaches the end of its minimum term.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Every ISP gets poor reviews. People very rarely post about their good experiences.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FWIW I switched from Sky to BT a couple of months ago, and no complaints here. So far the service has been flawless.
    Stompa
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just switched to BT a month ago - the switchover was messed up and I had no internet for a week. However have been with BT 2-3 times in the past over the years and had no issues.

The switchover aside, I've been with Sky, Plusnet, BT, TalkTalk and the only ISP I will never touch again is TalkTalk.

All pretty much run off the same network and backhaul. I would go with whoever has the best speeds, price and cashback offers you're after.

BT have millions of customers and people always shout when things go wrong. They go wrong with any ISP you go with in my experience, it's just how they handle it. I hate to say but BT seem to be getting better these days.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I switched from Plusnet to BT and am very happy with the service. I find the BT wifi hotspots particularly useful.

As above, the only ISP that would never touch again is Talk Talk.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Options
    "DISGUSTING COMPANY", "LYING SCAM MONGERS", "!!!!!!!S",

That would be my experience of them, yes.

Long ago, after they way they seriously mucked my elderly mother around when she was a customer, I resolved never to have anything to do with BT.

So you can imagine my unbridled joy when a year or so back I started getting demands for payment off them.

So I contacted BT - First attempt resulted in their "Customer Service" operative hanging-up on me without doing anything. Second got me to a bloke who demanded that I prove to them that I wasn't a customer. Third attempt seemed more positive - I actually got to a sympathetic bloke who said he would resolve the matter and that would be the end of it.

Yeah....

They only sold me on to a bunch of pushy, aggressive and harassing debt collectors who pursued me mercilessly or over a year.

So I took it up with BT at high level - Which was a complete waste of time because they never accepted that I HAD NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THEM AND DIDN'T OWE THEM A BRASS FARTHING but never produced any evidence of my having any kind of debt to them and with frequent sly references to signed contracts and details on file etc till eventually they firmly told me they would do no more.

That's when I got Action Fraud involved and surprisingly, I've not heard a peep out of them or their pet debt vultures for over six months now - Which is fine by me..!

So yeah, great British company with no sense of honesty, integrity or responsability whatsoever - don't trust them as far as you could throw an old-style phone box. :mad:
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When everything is working they are fine. As soon as something goes wrong they can be a nightmare to deal with. Their overseas call centres are terrible. They just follow a standard script. They are not allowed to use any initiative. They may as well employ robots.

It took me 3 months to get a broadband fault fixed. I only stick with them for BT Sport (rugby) and the public wi-fi.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not had a real problem with BT .
    But then again i can read the help files and use the BT community forum first .
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Every ISP gets poor reviews. People very rarely post about their good experiences.
    Not entirely true, have a read here (not about BT Internet, but a proper ISP):

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/reviews/171/reviews.html

One on the second page: "It is clear that this ISP is run by people who actually know what they are doing." Says it all really.

(I have used them for fifteen years and recommend them)
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Options
    The actual broadband is fine, its the customer service that's the problem.

Be it failure to set it up on the date set, having to chase cashback or mastercard deals, billing errors of various kinds, and that's me just in last 2 years. I have found in the past year an improvement, but they have some way to go. If they offer a good deal, go for it, just be prepared to do some chasing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure