Scammed from TSB

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    karlie88 wrote: »
    I hope it ends well OP. Which bank are we talking about here OP?

Its TSB Karlie.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Regan55 wrote: »
    All I know is that, my son was due to complete on his first flat this Friday, and of course that is in the air now, as he hasn!!!8217;t got the funds for his deposit anymore.

I hope you manage to sort this out, must be an immensely stressful time especially with the above.

What have the police said?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Regan55
    Regan55 Posts: 48 Forumite
    It’s logged with the fraud department, and they told me, that if he doesn’t get his money back, to let them know???
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    One would hope that the bank would refund (if) providing he hasn't disclosed his online banking details to anyone else.
  • ChopperST
    Out of interest I rang my mobile provider to ask what their policy was;

In store you require photographic ID and a utility bill to prove you are the account holder.

Online / telephone you need to verify with account questions and password. The new SIM would only be sent to address on the account.

Has your son's mobile provider (Vodafone) given you evidence as to how the fraudsters proved they were your son? Seems you have a case against them for giving access to your sons account for someone without the correct ID.
  • Regan55
    Hi Chopper,

It would appear, that someone went into a Vodafone store in London, and requested a sim, Vodafone then sent my son a text, asking if he had authorised this, but due to his work (Army) he is not allowed his phone on him..........so he never got to the message until a few hours later.......then phoned them, and told them it was unauthorised..........but the scammer had already walked away with a sim for it.

Apparently, all you need is Name, DOB, and postcode to do this. Which, as Im sure your aware, is not difficult nowadays to obtain.
  • ChopperST
    edited 15 May 2018 at 2:20PM
    Hi Chopper,

It would appear, that someone went into a Vodafone store in London, and requested a sim, Vodafone then sent my son a text, asking if he had authorised this, but due to his work (Army) he is not allowed his phone on him..........so he never got to the message until a few hours later.......then phoned them, and told them it was unauthorised..........but the scammer had already walked away with a sim for it.

Apparently, all you need is Name, DOB, and postcode to do this. Which, as Im sure your aware, is not difficult nowadays to obtain.

I don't want to state which mobile provider I'm with but what I would do is get a friend or family member to enquire (who has an account with VF) and explain your story and see what their policy is in store issuing a replacement SIM face to face is. I can't find their policy online I'm afraid.

Being able to walk into a store and give some very easily found details and ask for a new SIM without any photographic ID seems negligent on VF behalf.

On this note - potentially a complaint to the information commissioners office is required. If your son uses similar security on his VF account, potentially the fraudsters have used that to data mine and get enough info to then trick TSB into believing it was your son online and on / or on the phone.

Where was your son at the time - posted in the UK or abroad?

Presumably you have raised a complaint with TSB for them to investigate what security details were used to login to the account etc?
  • Regan55
    TSB sent a 4 digit pin code when the first transaction was requested, but of course, they had control of my sons phone. So as far as the bank is concerned......it was him.

But what gets me is, why do they only rely on a text message to verify this.......and not follow up with comp generated emails etc etc.

TSB security has been very iffy over these last couple of weeks, although they will say otherwise.
  • ChopperST
    Have they elaborated how they got into your sons account in the first place prior to the OTP being generated? i.e. phone or internet?
  • Alex2011
    Alex2011 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Its difficult to know how much to put on here?

Basically he has been a victim of Sim swap fraud

How they managed to get into his bank account, and transfer an ISA from one a/c to his other a/c, then with 8 faster transfers........empty his account?

All the transactions are traceable and reversible, just takes time to investigate the issue as sometimes the claims are false or just fake as some people are trying to squeeze the money from banks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure