MSE News: Tough new penalties for speeding to be rolled out next week

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,180
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    phillw wrote: »
    If anyone was seriously interested in getting people to slow down they wouldn't just be putting up cameras. They won't for example put up 30 mph speed limit signs, instead you have to be aware of the distance between street lights (which don't have to be visible).

If you mean repeater signs, these are specifically forbidden on restricted roads - the presence of street lighting is the sign.

You don't need to judge the distance - examples of street lights more than 200 yards apart are rare if not non-existent.
  • Our local council has forced 20MPH limits in my area, it went out to public consultation & vote and went through with a miniscule majority. Not a single person I know agreed with it, a) because it is virtually impossible to drive at less than 20 & b) it is going to be detrimental to health because of pollution. Apparently, it didn't matter how we voted, the council was going to put it through anyway, which probably explains the result.

I must correct myself on being unable to drive at less than 20 MPH. I got caught behind someone one night last week who didn't exceed 15 MPH & dropped to 5 at each speed bump, which was deeply frustrating & resulted in someone overtaking both cars. As the traffic was on a diversion, this was a virtual stop 20 times before we went in different directions, that cannot be healthy!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Our local council has forced 20MPH limits in my area, it went out to public consultation & vote and went through with a miniscule majority. Not a single person I know agreed with it, a) because it is virtually impossible to drive at less than 20...

Ha ha! Pull the other one! If you hadn't corrected yourself in the subsequent paragraph, I'd say you were desperately in need of some driving lessons.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Our local council has forced 20MPH limits in my area, it went out to public consultation & vote and went through with a miniscule majority. Not a single person I know agreed with it, a) because it is virtually impossible to drive at less than 20 & b) it is going to be detrimental to health because of pollution. Apparently, it didn't matter how we voted, the council was going to put it through anyway, which probably explains the result.

Ditto around here. The 'consultation' actually went 59% against blanket 20mph limits but they carried on regardless because a) "drivers were over represented in the responses" and seemingly other 'stakeholders' views were more important b) the respondents who were against were apparently too thick to understand what was planned and why c) That was what they planned to do all along (the online consultation actually had '20 is Plenty' emblazoned at the top of each page).
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Reaper wrote: »
    The police and government are obsessed with speed and only speed. Frankly if I drive 90mph on an empty motorway I am much less of a danger than the driver doing 70mph a few feet from the car in front.

It would be simple to make a machine that looks for such tailgating but they can't think beyond speed as the only cause of accidents.

Road safety laws have to be designed to be simple enough for morons to understand, because the majority of drivers fit said description.

"Faster than this, you get fined" is simple enough for them to understand.

"Drive within this distance of the car in front whilst travelling at this speed and in these conditions, and you get fined" is not.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,785
    Forumite
    Has anyone seen a definition of 'weekly income', I googled it, but nothing came up (hands up, admittedly I didn't look particularly hard for it).
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Has anyone seen a definition of 'weekly income', I googled it, but nothing came up (hands up, admittedly I didn't look particularly hard for it).
    I can't remember the details but when you go to court you fill in a form giving your income & list some outgoings. Different magistrates view different expenses as "essential" so have different views on your "available" income. It always amazed me that someone is in court for breaking the law & they are expected to be honest on the form! I've never known it be checked.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Pincher wrote: »
    There was a section of the M4 near Bristol, which had road side signs saying 50mph MAX, uneven road surface. Everybody ignored it and overtook me.

Depends on what format the sign was in. The only legally enforceable one is a white round circle with a red border (no need for white background on motorway matrix but must be circle with red border) and the speed limit on it. Anything else is merely advisory and can be ignored. So if it was an overhead matrix that just said "50 Uneven road surface" then you can ignore it. However if that 50 was in a circle with a red border then that was the legal speed limit at that point.

Legally enforceable

uk-30mph-speed-limit-sign.jpg

transport_road_signs_4.gif

Can be ignored as only advisory

gantry-speed-limit.png

recommended-speed-limit-sign.jpg
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite

Here you go:

https://formfinder.hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/mc100-eng.pdf
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Forumite
    EssexExile wrote: »

If you give up your job, and sponge off relatives, so as to have zero income, the court assumes £120 a week.

Which would give a cheaper fine than the fixed penalty ticket, so they add a victim surcharge and costs :(
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure