PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours over the road - Antisocial/illegal behavior - or just me being intolerant?

ThursdaysChild
ThursdaysChild Posts: 20 Forumite
edited 16 April 2017 at 6:51PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,

I'm after advice, suggestions on what I should do, or if it's just me being intolerant and there's nothing to be done then please tell me that as well! about the situation with my neighbours over the road.

I live in a terrace at the end of a cul-de-sac and the neighbours in question are over the road (in the terrace opposite). They have about 5-6 kids plus "hangers on" (extended family or friends) of various ages from... I'm not sure exactly but I'd say about 6-7 up to mid teens. They seem to spend most of the day outside playing in the street with football etc -- to which I say hurrah as at least they aren't sitting around indoors getting obese with games consoles!

However... they are really loud and do what I'd consider "anti-social" behaviour, but I'm not sure if it actually is, or if I'm (I don't have any kids myself) just being intolerant. Shouting all day long, jumping up and down on their wheelie bins, hammering on their front door / windows for someone to let them in after they went out, climbing over and jumping on the bonnet of their (parents') car, bashing a brick on to their bins over and over and over... etc.

All day long... bangbangbangbang on bins, WhHHEEEeeeSSShhh of wheeling an office chair around in the street (!) knockknocknkocknock on their window, climbing up fences, leaving bicycles in the street so I can't get out of my drive without asking them to move it (not done intentially to wind me up) etc etc.

They haven't done anything destructive to my property as such, as they seem to understand that they can jump on their own car (etc) but not other people's, but it's still really loud and incessant. And they are continually in mine and others' driveways running around with footballs and have kicked them into my car etc.

I don't feel "intimidated" as such, but the level of noise and consistancy of the noise is such that I'm getting to my wits end and can't hear myself think when I'm sat indoors!

It went on for at least 6 hours yesterday and similar today...

I wouldn't have a problem if it was noise from DIY or other things that have to be done, as I do understand that we can't have a silent environment all the time (!)

I'm not on speaking terms with those neighbours, but not on particularly bad terms either. We've never spoken (other than things like "sorry" when their kids almost ran out in front of my car!)

Edited to add: My impression is that those kids are bored out of their mind as their parents aren't providing anything for them to do or paying attention - but I don't think I can report it to social services or anything just for that!

What if anything can I do?

Comments

• Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Having feral children is not illegal as per your thread title but, IMO, it is certainly antisocial.

Do they live in social housing?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't think there is anything you can do. The schools will be back soon and you will get some peace then. We are very lucky with our neighbours. The children are not allowed to play outside the same neighbours houses for longer than an hour. The children then go and play at other end of street or to park. This was done by the parents of children, no one had complained.
  • Having feral children is not illegal as per your thread title but, IMO, it is certainly antisocial.

Do they live in social housing?

They are renting but as far as I know it's a private landlord. Not sure how they pay for it as they don't seem to have a job between any of them! :cool:
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Careful how you go with this one. i have this next door but worse.

If footballs are going into gardens, i know it's not you to do so, but find out if you as neighbours can club together and get some portable goalposts?
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    They are renting but as far as I know it's a private landlord. Not sure how they pay for it as they don't seem to have a job between any of them! :cool:

They'll be on benefits then.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do to stop them. People like that don't respond well to complaints and would more than likely just escalate the problem.
  • alchemist.1
    alchemist.1 Posts: 860 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2017 at 7:20PM
    It's normal behaviour. The reality is in a close packed inner city terraced street you're not going to find quiet.

Based on your description, I do think you are being intolerant.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's normal behaviour. The reality is in a close packed inner city terraced street you're not going to find quiet.

Based on your description, I do think you are being intolerant.

This, as long as they are doing it to their own property.

Whenever I hear kids outside, wireless headphones on.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They'll be on benefits then.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do to stop them. People like that don't respond well to complaints and would more than likely just escalate the problem.

Did you actually just lump everyone on benefits into the same chavvy category? What about them being individuals who may have genuine reasons for being on benefits or even not on benefits at all, just because OP doesn't think they work doesn't mean that they don't. Not everyone who receives benefits would be "people like that" who don't respond well to complaints, it's perfectly reasonable to think that as they are used to a fast paced home full of kids they don't realise how loud and antisocial it can seem to others as they probably block it all out after a while.
  • This is a hard one because as you explain they are only damaging/ being noisy on their own garden/drive etc. However, I can totally empathise with you and I would also be annoyed by it day in and day out. Not really sure what you can do to stop it but I really hope it stops soon and gives you some peace. It's a shame really as kids don't have youth clubs or anything anymore so boredom takes over.
    Hope you get some peace soon.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My impression is that those kids are bored out of their mind as their parents aren't providing anything for them to do
    Most kids seem bored out of their minds. The problem is you're in a cul-de-sac where they are safe from traffic so spend time in the street.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure