Blowing in the Winds of Change

Comments

• *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 2 October 2016 at 5:50PM
    Every so often an image pops up on social media. The background is always idyllic; lush tree-lined slopes leading the eye towards a lake in the distance, sunlight glittering on the waters. Central to this scene sits a cosy, well-maintained dwelling. Sometimes it's the Pioneer Woodsman-style log cabin with a wisp of smoke rising from the chimney, or the other popular choice is a modern brick-built Wilderness Retreat, stolidly hugging the ground – well designed to keep the occupants comfortable through wild storms and winter snow.
    Beneath this enticing photograph is a short paragraph asking the observer whether they'd live in this home for a year, all comforts provided - including a bonus of £10,000 for completing the challenge.. But the snag is, that the house has no internet or mobile 'phone signal. Presumably no TV either, although that's not usually specified.
    Then follows a list of those attracted to the idea of escaping society for a while; the stressed, discontented, not-terribly-happy-with-life-atm people who post comments such as:
    “Sign me up!”
    “I'm on my way!”
    “Yesssss! :D

Reality is more prosaic; the vision above probably accounts for thirty five days of the year. There are maybe one hundred and fifty days when snow metamorphoses all details of mundane life. Which leaves about about ninety days both sides of max and min, delight and despair, heaven and hell - when curtains of rain drive across the aforementioned majestic landscape, an observer's view truncated at the closest ridge-line by monochrome trees in silhouette, set against a back-drop of solid gray.
    Lush pasture metamorphoses into mountain bog underfoot; jump from clump to clump of darker green – still sinking, but not quite so fast. Trying to time Dear Dog's trips outside with short spells when the wetness eases off for a while..
    Damp pervades everywhere, worryingly.

The communal lifeline has been down for over a week. Tempers are fraying.
    How quickly the internet has become an essential tool of the twenty-first century; deprived of it, even the most hardened technophobes are thinking of excuses:
    Visit a friend down in the valley whose bill bears a different network's logo.
    The pub has free wifi.
    Head into town and park outside McNasty's, or the more salubrious central car-park for owners of a mifi box (there's no satellite hovering above this rural idyll – visitors' expensive mobile connections are rendered useless).
    ..One by one residents sneak off quietly to check emails, catch up on social media, partake of whatever electronic soma pleases the individual. Returning with a smile; more relaxed, the soggy reality of an isolated mountain community in Autumn made bearable again for a few more days.

Am somewhat proud to have outlasted Dear Number-Four Son. He beats a path down the valley to the local, although it's doubtful any hardy regulars are impressed by his choice of beverage, with which he retreats to the snug; hot chocolate - for fending off the chills. Mother suggested this image might be improved with a shot of whiskey, but it's pricey stuff - kept for the Laird and deep-pocketed friends.

CD has been equipped with a canine Sou'Wester, the better to resist catching her death of cold. Double-coated dogs get very wet indeed, well beyond the drying capacity of even finest Egyptian cotton towelling. A hair-dryer might suffice, if only A) I possessed such a thing, and B) she would tolerate it's hot blast for long enough. Instead, a jacket intended for greyhounds covers everything behind her ears; a successful trip down to civilisation provided that.

Am sitting in the middle of a boggy, mountain-top field on a yoga mat, where - joy of joys - there is a middling-poor connection on Mifi, and the weather is at last dry enough to try this experiment. Lappy battery almost dead, but at least I've avoided paying interest on CC purchases this month (last day to transfer funds due tomorrow).
    Must say I do enjoy being in m' snug camper-van, listening to rain battering on the roof. :)

Spends since last post:
    Groceries - £72 + £56 + £16
    Fuel - £30 + £42
    'Phone creds [useless here - no signal!] - £10
    CD's rain-coat - £17

ps. Sparky & Chev were right; I'd calculated CGT on total purchase price - Duh!

Back to civilisation next week - love you all, hope everyone is being well-treated by Life.. :)
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,249 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sounds like you're having a good back to the simple life time at the moment Robin. A few years ago Mr SA and I stayed in a caravan in Norfolk for the weekend and it did nothing but rain - but it was so cosy listening to it battering the roof - I understand where you're coming from on that front.

Enjoy the rest of your break :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Just popping in to say hi, hope all is well with you Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Robin have been in self imposed break from MSE but have missed you all and have been thinking of you x

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • We've missed Robin's updates, and hearing about CD.. My best wishes x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • Sun_Addict
    Hope all is well with you Robin xx
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too am hoping all is well.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Good morning World, :hello:

Thank-you to everyone who has wondered how CD and I have been getting on. :)
    Important news before explanations & excuses: Clever Dog is still walking the Earth - slowly as befits her great age - she remains pain-free and happy so long as my hand is within cuddling reach. Currently curled up fast asleep at my feet, next to camper-van's heater which I've put on for her, to banish the pre-dawn chills. :heartpuls

I do apologise for not being able to post for so long.. That damned Black Dog has ripped lumps out of my soul; too many disappointments when life has not favoured my endeavours, bad knocks to my own health which wasted weeks [nay, months!] spent merely surviving.. All of which meant living a truly MSE lifestyle has been impossible - not by my 'normal' standards, anyway - so didn't really feel I could join in with everyone here who is being an honest MSEer.. :o

Change had to happen, so it did: Difficulties and responsibilities abandoned [temporarily!]; CD, Divo Four and self are back on the road in camper-van, heading South to the gathering of our clan for Solstice celebrations, then Christmas and Three Kings. The storage locker beneath my bed is stuffed with wrapped presents (can't remember what most of them are though - :rotfl: - brain-fog currently being one of the most annoying symptoms caused by the curse of ME).

Am very grateful the weather in East Anglia stayed mild so long this winter. Also grateful CD's VIP status is still remembered by the staff at Brittany Ferries which made the watery part of our journey as easy as possible for her. Thirdly today, am sooo grateful DS4 was willing to join us; his presence sharing all the necessary tasks and palava involved, is what makes this adventure possible.
    :happyhear

Ah, the sky is getting lighter. Time to begin our morning routines; tea, toast, medication, a short walk for CD then back on the road.. Not sure where we are right now; just pulled up and parked outside a warehouse last night when car-lights dancing in my eyes became blinding..
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Good morning Robin. You have been missed x. Good to hear CD remains a VIP and you're on the road again. Hope a bit of southern warmth and brightness shakes the black dog back into his cave. Or perhaps black dog is of the stroppy angstridden teenage girl variety wearing us all down - never wondered about gender of the black dog before!
    DS has asked for a SAD lamp for Christmas so there's a bit of it about I fear. Safe travels and ear and belly rubs for CD. Lurcher lad sends many tail wags too.
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • Sun_Addict
    So pleased to read CD is still going strong :) but sorry to read you've not been so good yourself :( It can't be helped that you've had to fall off the MSE waggon. We all do it from time to time and I don't think for one minute we're all paragons of virtue! Oh and Divo 4 sounds a real treasure.

Great to see you back xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family