Bath Repairs & Resurfacing (merged threads)

Comments

• We have an original 1930's bath that we need to get resurfaced.

I don't want to use any of these DIY kits you can buy, but having looked on the internet the two main companies seem to be:

Renubath & Thermoglaze, both offer a 3 or 4 star service costing between £320 - £350 with 5-7 year guarantees but I cannot make up my mind which company to go for.

Has anyone used either of these companies and can tell me what they think good or bad.

Thanks
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Bluefusion

As we have some existing 'Bath Resurfacing' threads, I've merged them together. If you read back from the beginning, you'll see that post #2 has a comment about one of the suppliers you're considering.;)

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • williams40 wrote:
    I have badly chipped my enamel bath and have spoken to my insurance, I wanted my bath replacing, they are sending a company called surface doctor to repair it. Has anybody heard of it? I have found them on the internet it says they respray the enamel, the company is a francise, i am in the preston area, has anybody used them, it looks very good on the web, but they all do in the pictures, what happens if I let them go ahead only to do a rubbish job, can i still hound my insurance for a new bath

My friend damaged her bath badly and Surface Doctor repaired it really well. They do lots of work for insurance companies and resurface baths brilliantly from yukky green to white or what ever colour you want. I was really impressed and would recommend them . Especially if you don't want to shell out for a new bathroom.
  • abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    Where in the country are you Yasohail? I bought my victorian bath off ebay and had it restored. I can't remember the name of the company but they were based in Batley in Leeds. It cost £200 and they did a great job and bath is still in very good condition.

Rebecca x
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It costs £36 for a bath re-enamelling kit DIY from here:

http://www.brandonmarketing.co.uk/tubby.html

Here is a review of the product in The Times:

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/interiors/article1482569.ece
  • handyman.
    handyman. Posts: 305 Forumite
    if its a cast iron bath then read this thread i did on another forum...........its still perfect

http://www.trustedtradesmen.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4773
    go on, adopt a greyhound
    http://www.dgrescue.org.uk/
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had my cast iron bath resurfaced by Bath Wizard.
    I was too bone idle to replace my bath, you know what they say, a tradesman never works on his own home :o

Basically, they spray the bath with around 10 ten coats of enamel paint, and it takes about 3 days to dry properly.
    The finish on mine was ok, it didnt cover a cloth mark. The cloth had been left on the end of the bath and had been eating away at the enamel for 20 years.
    The finish was a tad like sandpaper when sliding into it.
    After a while, the bath smoothed out and it was ok until junior had bashed a couple of chips out of it with the telephone taps.

I would have it done again.
    Incidentally, Someone I worked with dropped a tile into a plastic bath and the same people came round to fix the dent.
    I couldn't see where the mark had been when they finished :confused:
    Rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • i am in a council house and would like to make the bath look like newish,i tried a tubby bath kit before but i sanded it for hours as it said on the instructions but it did not make a bit of difference ,then i tried an electric sander on the bath but it would not sand ..what am i doing wrong i don,t understand it
  • i want to resurface my bath .i bought a tubby kit but it said i need to sand the inside of the bath first to a rough finish but no matter how hard or how many hours i sanded it it just stayed smooth..i even used a electric sander to no effect..am i doing something wrong..i never used the rest of the kit in the end because i could not sand it.......if i put the enamel stuff on without sanding would it peel off or something ..thanks
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello frosticles1111

I've merged your thread with this existing 'bath resurfacing' thread. If you read back from post #1, there's some useful information to help you.;)

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure