Childminding on Bank holidays

Can anyone tell me if your childminder charges on Bank holidays and whether or not they take the children?

Thanks

Comments

• CharleneUK
    CharleneUK Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I know my childminder doesn't charge, she just doesn't take my daughter.

If she did, we'd pay her double.
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"
  • my friend uses a childminder they charge and dont take the kids

My nursery charges for the bank holidays dont take the kids......... but the days that arent bank holidays they dont take the kids and dont charge.
    :ASexy_fufu:A
  • russ_c
    russ_c Posts: 241 Forumite
    my OH is a childminder.the arrangements for bank hols (agreed between yourselves) should be on your contract filled in when you made your placement. OH charges half fee if she does not have them, but some do charge full.
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I always think the contracts childminders come up with are a bit odd.

What other self employed person do you know who doesn't do the work but still expects to be paid?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jet wrote:
    I always think the contracts childminders come up with are a bit odd.

What other self employed person do you know who doesn't do the work but still expects to be paid?
    I think the argument goes that if you're employed you're usually paid for bank holidays (not always I know), and for holidays, so why should the childminder lose out? I'm not picking a fight here, just explaining why it might be so. But it is up to you and the childminder to agree the contract: you can try to negotiate if you're not happy.

Remember if you don't pay the childminder for times when your child is not there, s/he may be charging a premium to cover the times she doesn't work.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • My childminder charges full pay for bank holidays but as my daughter stays with me on all my days off not really sure if the childminder would have her on bank holiday anyway.
    It's best to regret things you have done rather than those you have not...
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had to pay nursery for bank holidays when they were closed. As others mentioned if you don't then they will just load up the daily charge.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • My son's nursery are shut Monday 26th & Tuesday 27th, which are bank holidays and I am expected to pay for them - fair enough, don't mind at all.

But they are also closing Wednesday 28th, Thursday 29th & Friday 30th and are also charging us for them. What does anyone think of this? Personally it doesn't bother me other than I am miffed for having to pay because I am off that week anyway, but I know one of the other mums' husbands has had to take time off (he works in retail) and it's only because he quoted that law about flexible working hours if you have children under six, that they let him have those days off, which I don't think is very fair.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
    April 2006 - £9790.26dr. DFD - March 2011
  • i charge full fee for bank holidays, parents get paid for them so why not me. I have taken the rest of the week off but i do not charge as i have two weeks paid holidays a year which i take in august.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    monkeylugs wrote:
    But they are also closing Wednesday 28th, Thursday 29th & Friday 30th and are also charging us for them. What does anyone think of this?
    I agree that it seems very unfair, but if they DON'T charge you for them, then they will just load it onto the daily charge because the staff are entitled to be paid for any holiday. Plus it may be that they know from experience that there won't be many children using the nursery that week, so it is more cost-effective to give the staff paid leave and close. Or that they know they will struggle to get enough staff in that week.

I expect that all the nursery staff are having to take this as part of their annual leave, which again may not suit all of them.

However, you should have been given plenty of notice of this closure - ideally before you ever started using the nursery!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport