Can i request letters from bank adressed with full first name?

Two people in my household share the same initials and use the same bank so we never know who's letter is intended for who, Is it possible to have letters addressed using our full first names? We are both with lloyds tsb. I was going to ask next time i am in the bank but just wondering if anybody here know's in case i encounter somebody in the bank that doesn't even know themselves.

Comments

• pochisoldi
    pochisoldi Posts: 261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Two people in my household share the same initials and use the same bank so we never know who's letter is intended for who, Is it possible to have letters addressed using our full first names? We are both with lloyds tsb. I was going to ask next time i am in the bank but just wondering if anybody here know's in case i encounter somebody in the bank that doesn't even know themselves.

Don't ask them - tell them that you want mail addressed so that you can distinguish between each others mail.
    If they refuse say to them "Every time you send my information and it gets accidentally opened by the other person, you, the bank, have disclosed personal information to them. That's a breach of the data protection rules. It's you (the bank) who are revealing my personal data to someone else without my permission, what are you going to do about?".

On a more practical level, one or the other could modify how their name is presented, for example:
    Different gender: one or both of you use Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms
    Same gender (female): One of you use Mrs/Miss the other Ms
    Same gender (male): If the bank supports it, one of you use the title of Esq.
    (So the post would be addressed to "A. Smith Esq." instead of "A.Smith")
    One of you drop the middle initial. (I had the same name as my Dad, however I had a middle name, my dad didn't - you problem never happened when I lived at home!)

PochiSoldi
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    The bank will be more than happy to do this. No need to go in all guns blazing!
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    shortcrust wrote: »
    The bank will be more than happy to do this. No need to go in all guns blazing!

One would hope so but I recall a case mentioned on a consumer programme where two family members were battling unsuccessfully to make this happen. Sadly I am now unable to locate information on their case and I do not recall the final outcome.

Last resort would be for one (or both) of you to change bank.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Bear in mind that not all banks have a central database for customer details. You may get statements changes but still get marketing or admin using the old name details.

Have you considered online correspondence only if this is possible with your bank although this may also suffer from the several different databases issue.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Probably easier to change what you're known as to Amanda.
    Or Mandy.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    robatwork wrote: »
    Probably easier to change what you're known as to Amanda.
    Or Mandy.

Possibly not. Banks generally won't entertain nicknames, aliases, shortenings etc.

Getting the full name displayed on a statement (card, cheque book etc) is a lot more practicable.
    : )
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We are both with lloyds tsb.
    Not anymore you're not - it was decided five years ago back in 2013 that Lloyds and TSB would go their own separate ways so Lloyds themselves now just use the name and not the initials!
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    pochisoldi wrote: »
    Don't ask them - tell them that you want mail addressed so that you can distinguish between each others mail.
    If they refuse say to them "Every time you send my information and it gets accidentally opened by the other person, you, the bank, have disclosed personal information to them. That's a breach of the data protection rules. It's you (the bank) who are revealing my personal data to someone else without my permission, what are you going to do about?".

As well as that being a ludicrous overreaction, it would also be wrong. The bank have not breached the DPA because somebody else has opened the OP's mail. The mail has been correctly addressed and delivered. The bank cannot be held accountable for the actions of people within the recipient's home.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes you can, ask the help and advice or the counter to change the name on the card, this is easily done and I have done so for a customer who wanted their card to read Mr X POA for Mrs X on their card.

They just need to go into manage card, and input the full name after the initial it already has. as mentioned you may have to bring ID to confirm name and nicknames and abbreviations are not allowed but initials are okay.

I used to have the same problem as all my sisters had the same initial and surname which was great when it was a cheque but not when it was a library fine. Not important now both have got married and changed their surnames.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Possibly not. Banks generally won't entertain nicknames, aliases, shortenings etc.

Getting the full name displayed on a statement (card, cheque book etc) is a lot more practicable.

Although my comment was half tongue-in-cheek I have to say you're wrong.

I have lots of bank accounts. Some are opened and mail received in the name Rob, and some in the name Robert. Every piece of ID I have is in the name Robert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure