Car insurance cancellation - they won't let me.

2»

Comments

• soblivion
    soblivion Posts: 1,169
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    If your husband is the policyholder, then he would normally still have the NCD!
    My husband had about 30 years but they said because I was spouse they would allocate 9 years and only 9 years NCB to me and leave my husband without any at all which wouldn't make a difference as he isn't allowed to drive anymore. It just says earned no claim bonus protected 9 years.
    I was named driver on the policy for about 28 years.

Thank you for going through it all with me.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    That's good - so they know he cannot drive, and giving you the NCD of 9 years is as effective as 30 years (9 is usually the max any company gives these days, and it's unlikely your new company would have been any cheaper had you been given any more than 9.

By giving you his NCD they are acknowledging his incapacity

So now follow the advice from Dacouch in #3 regarding sending them a letter (from your husband) instructing them to lapse the policy from it's expiry date
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    9 years is probably the maximum discount in any case. I suggest you speak to the insurer's customer relations department, they will have experience of dealing with this sort of thing before.
  • soblivion
    soblivion Posts: 1,169
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you all very much.
    I will send a letter tomorrow and speak to customer relations too and I will start a new insurance and be 100% positive that it states modifications and thoroughly check every detail. I will be the policyholder on this new policy.
    Many thanks to you all for replying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport