Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    I've noticed that the on my CEC results page, the British Gas Fixed till 28th Feb 2019 has exit fees of £60. Looking on the British Gas website they have a tariff HomeEnergy Capped Feb 2019 that has exit fees of £20 per fuel making a total of £40. Are these the same tariffs, if so why the difference in exit fess?

Hi Fox Warrior

These are two different tariffs:
    - HomeEnergy Capped Feb 2019 has £40 exit fees
    - All Online Feb 2019 has £60 exit fees

I hope this helps.
  • Jus got an email from Octopus,

We've updated your tariff!

As of the 1st of February you are on the MSE Octopus 14M Fixed Tariff.

Your tariff details are:

Electricity
    Standard unit rate - 13.11p per kWh
    X
    Standing charge – 17.85p per day

Gas
    Unit rate – 2.88p per kWh
    Standing charge – 17.85p per kWh

Tariff start date – 1st of February
    Tariff end date – 1st of April 2019

Now that's what I call efficient. Sit back and wait for the £25 now.
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 February 2018 at 1:16PM
    We were so impresed when we helped an older relative sign up for Octopus Energy (and thank you to all that have used her link :T) that we decided to sign up ourselves for our electricity.

Again, the sign up was very easy and the account is already set up ready for changeover later this month.

Even though the rates are slightly more than the cheapest available, the £50 cashback more than cancels out the difference for us, and if anyone uses our link it makes it even more worthwhile switching to Octopus. :j

Turns out the tariffs are the same as the 14 month MSE Collective deal, but for just 12 months instead of 14 and you get £50 cashback instead of £12.50 for a single utility switch. :money:

It is worth checking the referrals board for the latest referral links.
  • @familyguy321
    Please remove the referral link as they are not allowed in this board. There is a special Referral Board and that is the only place where those links can be posted.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    We were so impresed when we helped an older relative sign up for Octopus Energy (and thank you to all that have used her link :T) that we decided to sign up ourselves for our electricity.

Again, the sign up was very easy and the account is already set up ready for changeover later this month.

Even though the rates are slightly more than the cheapest available, the £50 cashback more than cancels out the difference for us, and if anyone uses our link it makes it even more worthwhile switching to Octopus. :j

Turns out the tariffs are the same as the 14 month MSE Collective deal, but for just 12 months instead of 14 and you get £50 cashback instead of £12.50 for a single utility switch. :money:

It is worth checking the referrals board for the latest referral links.

Our transfers to Octopus Energy for our electric supply appear to be going very well.

We are getting timely updates from Octopus of where we are in the switch process.

Relative has already received confirmation of no objection from Iresa and meter reading required at the end of next week.

For us, Iresa don't appear to be objecting, so should get the all clear to move to the next stage early next week.

When taking into account the referral cashback credit; they are certainly cheaper than other suppliers for our usage and area.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Our transfers to Octopus Energy for our electric supply appear to be going very well.

We are getting timely updates from Octopus of where we are in the switch process.

Relative has already received confirmation of no objection from Iresa and meter reading required at the end of next week.

For us, Iresa don't appear to be objecting, so should get the all clear to move to the next stage early next week.

When taking into account the referral cashback credit; they are certainly cheaper than other suppliers for our usage and area.

Like you, I have just switched to Octopus: my 5th electrical switch in 13 months. It really is to early to provide feedback. Suffice to say that these ‘family and friends’ deals are not making it easy for the consumer who has just started down the switching road to compare deals. Following recent changes to Ofgem’s Confidence Code, PCWs can now include cashback in annual cost comparisons but ‘family deals’ remain hidden unless people can be bothered to read feedback forums.
  • Just switched as Octopus was cheapest for me and I liked their green credentials. It went smoothly, online account shows correct credit, correct DD amount has been taken. So far so good. I should save about 150 pounds a year switching from First Utility variable tariff. They have no exit fees and their standard fixed tariff is 50% renewable, they also have 100% renewable energy tariffs (gas emissions are offset through environmental projects) at least this is what they claim. If you switch using a referral link you and the person who's link it is get 50 credit when switching is complete, you will get your own link straightaway too.
  • Best energy company ever! They were the only one of the big six whose switch was faultless.Never had the slightest problem with them.Having said that, I have just switched to Outfox themarket!! as they were much cheaper. I'll bet that the price goes up and I'll be back to Octopus soon.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    Having said that, I have just switched to Outfox themarket!! as they were much cheaper. I'll bet that the price goes up and I'll be back to Octopus soon.

I assume you did the same as me and went for out fox the markets variable tariff? In some respects the fixed tariff is probably a better deal, but I didn't like the 18 months tie in with a relatively large exit fee as I have some uncertainty.
  • Yep thats what i did - unless it goes up by 20% I'm better off. As there's no exit fee I'd be surprised if I stay there for that long.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback