How secure is keyless entry?

Options
13»

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apparently a work around for the problem is to store the key in a metal line bag or metal box, effectively a faraday cage for the key.

In post #1, the OP said:

"It appears that the way to avoid this is to keep your key fob in a metal box or wrap it in aluminium foil to block the signal."

We seem to have come full circle.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Saw this video not too long ago - what happens if you throw out your key (fob) WHILE driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxubcxxXS4
  • fourcandles
    fourcandles Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    If you are worried, just don't buy a car with keyless entry. Simple.

We still want the car, I just wanted to ensure that I understood the article properly, and understand what we can do to reduce the risks of the car being stolen before we pick it up.

The Disklock seems to have very good reviews, so that is an option, and I have been reading up on trackers and immobilisers, which it seems can still be bypassed or disabled. I guess if someone wants the car they will get it no matter how much security is put on it.

We'll be starting by keeping the keys in a tin! Which brings me back to my first question - why don't the fobs have a simple on/off switch, or am I missing something here?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've often wondered how key-less entry would work if you had OCD? How can you double check you've locked the car, if it then re-opens when you get near it!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • fourcandles
    fourcandles Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I've often wondered how key-less entry would work if you had OCD? How can you double check you've locked the car, if it then re-opens when you get near it!!!

Answer - always carry a roll of aluminium foil with you! :rotfl:
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    We still want the car, I just wanted to ensure that I understood the article properly, and understand what we can do to reduce the risks of the car being stolen before we pick it up.

The Disklock seems to have very good reviews, so that is an option, and I have been reading up on trackers and immobilisers, which it seems can still be bypassed or disabled. I guess if someone wants the car they will get it no matter how much security is put on it.

We'll be starting by keeping the keys in a tin! Which brings me back to my first question - why don't the fobs have a simple on/off switch, or am I missing something here?

Doesn't that add quite a lot of time compared to just getting in the car and driving away. How tempting will it be to not bother putting the disklok on?
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »

My Ford (don't know about other makes) either locking with the fob or via the button on the door handle, the car stays locked for a number of seconds so you can check the handle and walk away before the keyless entry goes back into 'detect mode' waiting for the key to get back into range.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    My new Hyundai Tucson has keyless entry, but needs a 'foldaway' key in the key fob, to start the car. There is what looks like a standard ignition lock, but Hyundai say that any attempt to interfere with the lock, immobilises the ignition. It would need a Hyundai workshop to get it started, rectify damage and reset everything. There is no Start Button, which my previous C-Max had.

Hyundai (and any other car manufacturer) probably would say that.

However if you think about it, what would happen when their own team interfere with the lock? They'd be able to get around it.

As whatsapp pointed out when the tories were forcing them to allow a back door for authorities....if you have a weakness in your security it can be exploited by anyone - not just the "good guys".
    Strider590 wrote: »
    They're probably cloning the key somehow, because the car should stop if the key gets out of range.

I had to give a friend a lift a few months back to take their keyless fob to his wife - who had managed to get in & start the car while the key was sat on the windowsill in the house and only realised her mistake when she got to her destination.
    Most keyless entry systems will use a rolling code to prevent replay attacks like this.

Unfortunately with computers, theyre incapable of random. They'll do exactly what they're programmed to do, follow the algorithms theyre told to etc. If it can be engineered, it can be reverse engineered.

These security features may stop your average joyrider, but its not going to stop those who are stealing to order as they will come prepared and know exactly what they're doing.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure