PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,111 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    A few years ago I used Freecycle but I've seen a lot of people refer to Freegle. Please can anyone tell me whether one is better than the other/less hassle etc

Freecycle is US-owned and makes money getting govt. credits for diverting materials from landfill. A few years ago many of the (unpaid) UK moderators got fed up with the demands being made of them and set up Freegle (plus a few other local versions) as a UK managed voluntary organisation. You need to find out what is operating in your area - I usually sign up to all of them and then use whichever has most traffic.

You may also find that there are local FB pages for sharing/swapping/giving away as well as selling.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Floss wrote: »
    I also want to make a start on some crafting for sale, so that those stashes begin to reduce. I have a lot of items for conversion that will form the initial stock for a FB and Etsy shop that I have been planning for some time ;)
    That sounds great! I can't do it now cos of arthritis in my fingers, but I'd have loved to have been an early adopter on etsy. Have fun, Floss.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,230 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Well I have km'd my dresses & summer clothes, some to keep,some to sell and some to donate. Am going to go through the rest through the day. Have realised that flouncy maxi dresses don't really enhance a pear-shaped 50 something :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have realised that flouncy maxi dresses don't really enhance a pear-shaped 50 something :D

:D floss, you are 18 in your head, you know you are

They are exactly the sort of skirts that I gave to the cs, I had a reality check :D sad to see them go tbh but thats life

I have done a bit, fridge and freezer. Needing to use blackcurrants at a quicker rate and have ground almonds and butter sitting there. Melted butter and gently mixed into the almonds to crumbs. Berries into small enamel dishes added xylitol to take the sharpness out, topped with crumbs. Will bake later and refreeze but will be nice to eat as puds over the next few weeks and I now have more fridge space. I should think that this sort of almond crumble would be nice over cooked cauliflower

Washing on as its a lovely bright and breezy day and have decided not to scrap the water features. I found some waterproofing grey paste to put on, it has good reviews, I can certainly do inside the slate feature. It looks as though the mesh inside has come apart, which the paste will cure. Had to spend £10 but will try and do both features, even the taller one with spouts. I love fixing things :D

Interesting about freegle, I also thought it was freecycle. OH`s they do try but its generally women who get into a job quickly, as well as doing other work at the same time. I used to give mine an idea, then I would say nothing about it but later, maybe weeks later, he would give the same idea and I would chuckle to myself, it always worked
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,230 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    kittie wrote: »
    :D floss, you are 18 in your head, you know you are...

...OH`s they do try but its generally women who get into a job quickly, as well as doing other work at the same time. I used to give mine an idea, then I would say nothing about it but later, maybe weeks later, he would give the same idea and I would chuckle to myself, it always worked

Thanks Kittie!

My DH has a virtual list in his head, but does say "when a man says he will do something, he doesn't need reminding every 6 months!"
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Went through my winter clothes, which have been done twice before, but not this year. To CS: one padded coat with a collar that doesn't keep the wind out, and one worn out Laura Ashley cardigan is going for recycling, too done for the CS, had it for years so have had all the value out of it.

Everything else still sparks joy, although one jacket in a tapestry fabric in lovely colours which I bought second hand many years ago, will be reincarnated as a bag. It holds many happy memories and the bag will definitely spark joy.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Good luck with the Etsy empire Floss, I like it as a selling platform and my shop ticks over nicely, just wish their accounts were easier to make heads or tails of!

I've kondod the bathroom sink, a hideous 80's mirror and all the tiles behind that and the loo....just having a food break before tackling the tile glue and then a big clear up before heading for the dump. I'll take the bath out tomorrow and the rest of the tiles and floor and then it will all be clear to start pipe work on Thursday. Need to dig in the loft to find the junction boxes for the electrics, there's thick insulation down now so will dig out a long sleeved top, gloves and a mask before I go delving around.

A slightly undone joint under the kitchen sink promoted a big kondo last night as there were a few soggy things to go. Luckily I've always followed my Mums advice and kept stuff in shallow plastic boxes/trays which means if there is a leak, it's contained in the plastic and not sitting on the shelf and rotting anything.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Igamogam my DH is like that - our attic is converted to a room (1930's house) and the eaves are full of his "treasures" such as diving mask, snorkel & flippers that he has not used since pre-2000, skis that are obsolete, and a family of suitcases which aren't fit to use but are too good to throw out...

Haha! In our garage sort out over the weekend my OH unearthed his snorkel and flippers - not used in around 15 years - and decided that he couldn't part with them (even though he'd forgotten we still had them) He also dug out his rugby kit 'to go' - but then decided that everything in it would stay (except some old grubby plasters and nasal breathe strips and 1 muddy bandage) - as he 'might play again for the vets one day' (he's not played anything at all in at least 15 years....)
    Igamogam wrote: »
    What are RM survey stamps??

Royal Mail survey stamps - if you're on the survey panel you get 'paid' 12 1st class and 4 large first class stamps every month (plus occasional other bits) - useful for fleebay parcels (although I mainly use couriers now, as they tend to be cheaper and tracking is good)
    Pooky wrote: »
    A slightly undone joint under the kitchen sink promoted a big kondo last night as there were a few soggy things to go. Luckily I've always followed my Mums advice and kept stuff in shallow plastic boxes/trays which means if there is a leak, it's contained in the plastic and not sitting on the shelf and rotting anything.

Our current kitchen cupboard is a victim to this - when we have our new kitchen I will a - have less under there and b - store what *is* under there in a plastic tray...

All my little jobs were achieved this morning:T, so lots of little bits went out to here and there. Just spent half an hour in DS2's room with him and we have released several pairs of socks (too small and/ or worn thin), a non-joy-sparking tshirt (will go to DS3) a large empty box (recycled), a loom band kit (donated), an unused 3d jigsaw dinosaur (priced for nns), some random bits of kibble for the bin and several small toys and a pack of crayons put aside for shoebox appeal. Still heaps to do, but at least you can now walk across his floor without stepping on leg0. There's also 3 items of clothing hung outside his wardrobe for trying on tonight/ in the morning and then 3 pairs of boxers to try on (only 1 needs to be tried on - they're a set) all to see if they still fit.

2nd lot of washing out on line - first one now waiting to be ironed. Trying to muster up enthusiasm to do anything, really - fancy a nap after a poor night's sleep! :p:p My mum is meant to be taking the smalls out for a walk soon, so I might see if I can grab 20 mins then :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Working in the garden again today - greenhouse equipment all back in and stored properly. Big bag of bits to go on Freecycle - terracotta plant pots & trays, a heated propagator,pea & bean mesh, plant supports & some seed trays - a bag of old metal baskets & brackets etc to go to the guy who raises money with it for a kids club and a bag of rubbish that will go to the tip for recycling.
    I've managed to move a shelf rack to a position thats less obtrusive and stored all my canes & supports in an old dustbin (with holes in the bottom!) so they are neat & tidy & upright and dont keep falling all over the place.
    Cup of tea time I think as DH has had his trike part delivered and I've just heard him fire up! One happy bunny - probably wont see him now as he'll be out riding ;) Oh & lady coming today for the last bag of woodash for her chickens and lady coming tomorrow for my hats for the hospice
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Carried on working through the jobs list over the weekend and today have been clearing out more emails. Really catching up with those now which is great.

Friend visited last week and said my office still looks the same as always which is disappointing bearing in mind how much stuff has gone. Oh well, will keep plugging away at it. I do know that the reading pile is much more up to date than this time last year so progress has been made there at least.

Other areas of my life such as healthy eating are also much improved - have been keeping a daily record since January of how well I'm doing on that and it is way better than it was at the end of last year. Still have a little middle-aged spread to lose and need to get back into my normal sized trousers in 5 weeks' time. Should be doable as there's not a lot to go - am not looking for actual weight loss as am well within normal range, just a little re-distribution :p.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport