PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Nope, it didn't but will go to a chazzer shortly. I'm not phased, carboots don't tend to be the best place for handicrafts, different mentality. I knitted it to amuse myself and use up yarn remnants, and it achieved its purpose.

Have just been up into the loft (briefly) and 'Christmas Roses' rug was exactly where I thought it was, it is now up beside the hatch and I brought down a cone of yarn for Mum's next project (a jumper for herself). Thinking of heading out for a little stroll as it's a nice spring day and good to take the air.

;) Besides, I seem to be having a bit of a day and there has been a near-miss with a mug as well as the suicidal side-plates at lunchtime, so perhaps it'll be better for the goods and chattels if I'm outside for a couple of hours...... :o
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MamaSaver
    MamaSaver Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    GQ that's disappointing but as you say, not the type of buyers there for it. It's good that you had a deadline though and now it's ready to fulfill its purpose. Without the car boot it may be still hanging around as a WIP.

So glad to hear the kondo-itis is spreading to your folks :j
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Re-visited the dresser cupboard and a series of items lined up, waved and climbed into a box for CS. It was so easy, thank goodness.

DD took a few games/ amusements for when GS is older, Mum took a couple of puzzles, and the unused travel games will go as a lot on eb*y.

I took 2 plates from the 'spares' box to replace those that had a smashing time a couple of weeks back and now the Xmas crockery fits neatly on the shelf, and it will be straightforward to find things in there in future.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    MamaSaver wrote: »
    GQ that's disappointing but as you say, not the type of buyers there for it. It's good that you had a deadline though and now it's ready to fulfill its purpose. Without the car boot it may be still hanging around as a WIP.

So glad to hear the kondo-itis is spreading to your folks :j
    :) That's my view, it could easily have drifted but the deadline made me get my arris in gear and finish the project. Like many (I suspect) I can be a terrible procrastinator if given half a chance.

Re stuff, I don't know whether it's an age thing, a me-thing, a zeitgeist-thing or summat in the watter, but I find myself rather detatched from wantiness.

Not saying so to big myself up, or come across as holier-than-thou, I find myself slightly surprised at the situation. I guess that, for some years, acquistions have proved to be short-lived pleasures and longer-term pains-in-the-posteriors. Sometimes the excitement has gone by the time I've dragged the loot home.

This afternoon we went for a family stroll. Things we've admired; cherry and apple blossoms, the sheen on the heads of mallards on the river, the gnarliness of ancient trees, cute dogs out for walks with their people, the sunlight reflecting on the shallow lowland river flowing through my hometown.

Spends - nil. Traffic jams - nil. Aggro - nil. What could be finer? :cool:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey Mamasava, I feel much better, thanks. Not quite tip top but good enough for now! DH has been poorly since Thurs and is looking a bit feeble. I hope he picks up tomorrow and we can go on Weds (fingers crossed).
    We have both been working today. My last client cancelled just before i was due there so i came home, made a call about renewing breakdown policy, got premium reduced by £22, and so saved more than the lost hour's work! :D

Bumblebeany, that quote exactly reflects my philosophy on possessions and on happiness. So much unhappiness is due to constantly wanting more. The most precious things to me are time (to spend how you want!), health, friends, and joyful experiences - which may be hearing beautiful birdsong, seeing a flower-filled garden, watching the sun sparkle on the sea. I could go on, but I am sure we all feel the same.

Right, must get the fish out of the fridge and the veg prepped for tea.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hello
    My teenager's clothes have been sorted. He's had a growth spurt, so a black bag full of clothes has already been deposited at the charity clothes bank.
    We have sorted out his school books into subjects, I need to buy some folders tomorrow. His older brothers desk, now no longer in use, has been brought down from the loft and we have created a study area. I am hoping it will be put to good use!
    I'm struggling with my back (disc) and desperate to get on with stuff but I'm having to be so careful. Thankfully the boys have been helpful, but they are a bit bored with "housework" now. The football/PS4 is beckoning :D
    It feels good to have waved goodbye to the clothes, a bag full of paper recycling and a bag of general rubbish.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Just got permission to raid the fraternal cache of DVD movies for things to borrow for a few weeks to watch at home on my 'pooter. Have got 20, but some are series not singletons, I will finally start watching Game of Thrones and thus be able to keep up in t'office.:rotfl:

I drew his attention to some duplicates which he obviously didn't even know he had as they were stashed in different places. Shopping without due care and attention.

I will watch these over the next 2-3 months when rug-making or too tired to read and then return them, saving me a few £££ on buying chazzer DVDs and then donating them again.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok I need to know..........what is a ready cut rug? I feel as if something has been missing in my life! Sorry if it has been explained already but this thred moves very quickly and at the mo I am just skimming through
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April 2017 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Ready cut rugs were a kit of printed canvas and short bits of wool and a hook to loop the wool through the canvas.http://www.readicut.co.uk/rugs/latch-hook-rug-kits.html
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Back from Easter break and picking up girls :) dds came home with us after a fortnight at Aunty's and my parents'. They had a wonderful time, although I believe that was mainly due to Aunty letting them watch tv all the time. At 5 and 8, I don't think that is the best thing to do, but I can understand her. She's offering safe childcare, not entertainment :) .

Dropped dd1 off at a children's party on the way back: swimming, indoor playground and fries. Both suitcases and three bags of shopping are already unpacked, and one load of laundry washed, dried, folded, and in the wardrobes. Did a quick sort through the pile of T-shirts and longsleeves that were waiting for dd2 to try on; 9 went to the attic and the rest into the wardrobe. If they don't fit, we'll notice soon enough.

Potted on several trays of seedlings in my greenhouse, and deweeded the garden for 15 minutes.

The girls' room was still full of books and toys, and I sorted through the books, a dozen are now in the attic to move on, one in the paper recycling and one in the bin. Most of the toys are in the Exped1t, only a few more to sort in the coming evenings.

Both girls' reaction to our empty living room: 'wow! Can we keep it this way?'

Where is my husband in this story? On the sofa, watching films.... I told him he had to cook dinner and he wasn't pleased, but did do it. I'm not pleased with him at the mo, as he did not show up for Easter dinner at my parents' last night.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure