PINsentry Calculator device from BARCLAYS

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Since the card is apparently OK, then logically the PinSentry device must be borked. But it beats me what you expect to be able to do to resolve this, short of replacing the whole PinSentry device.
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    These are the people who write and publish the specifications for chip & pin (EMV).
    Any use?

http://www.emvco.com/specifications.aspx?id=223
  • BGB there is not a single word about pinsentry, not even about barclays on their website and/or in the contents of available ebooks they offer downloading links for.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If your card works in shops and as you say POS then I would think the pin entry device is faulty, use another one, Natwest or Nationwide work with Barclays cards and get the Barclays one replaced if you need it, I have five of these things and I only use one for all my accounts, (Nationwide)

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Janko179 wrote: »
    If I was able to replace card/pinsentry, either of them or both, i wouldn't be working so much on this.
    "How do I get another PINsentry card reader?"
    https://www.help.barclays.co.uk/faq/online-banking/pinsentry/PINsentry_replace.html

Note that with its mobile banking app Barclays offers a "Mobile PINsentry" feature.
  • Janko179
    Janko179 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 2:42PM
    Westie so does it mean that even if PINsentry reacts in the following two ways:

1. Successfully recognized when card is inserted so it shows on the screen "Respond, sign or identify"

2. Successfully reacts on pressed Identify button with showing message ''Please wait''

then this doesn't yet guarantee that it is fully functional?

Chino, I saw that but what you said is completely offtopic to this discussion. We are talking about solving the problem of pinsentry and not finding its alternative. If using mobile access to online banking, features are limited.
  • bravotango
    bravotango Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Easiest way is to go into a branch, and get them to use their card reader on your card, and see if it prompts you for your PIN. If it does, then your card reader is broken, and Barclays staff might be able to give you the one you have just used, or offer to order one to be sent to your registered address. If it doesn't, then as you are in the branch you can show them the issue, and get them to order a new debit card through their internal systems.
    Save Save Save
    :)
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Vortigern: it is J2A080 (80K eeprom) but i don't know if is version V2.4.2 or V2.4.1 but i am yet to be told which type of chips PINsentry is able to read.
    Very few people would know what sort of EEPROM is embedded in their bank cards. If you have such knowledge, many would suspect that you are trying to hack or re-program the chip.

You need to order a new card.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Westie so does it mean that even if PINsentry reacts in the following two ways:

1. Successfully recognized when card is inserted so it shows on the screen "Respond, sign or identify"

2. Successfully reacts on pressed Identify button with showing message ''Please wait''

Number 1. I Enter the card press identify button with two arrows then I enter the pin for the card I'm using and I enter the code into the Internet banking screen of the bank I'm using.

I also use it to confirm new standing orders with Barclays and nationwide then I use the machine to enter the last 4 numbers of the account I'm sending money too and the code that it generates

I have never seen a please wait message on any of my pin entry machines, I have a few but only use nationwide now after my natwest one ran out of battery.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ...does it mean that even if PINsentry reacts in the following two ways:

No. Logically it tells you that it is at least partially functional.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure