can i claim benefits

hi my husband works full time and we get childs tax credits what i want to know is can i claim benefits as i am unable to work as i have depresion stress and anixty disorders i cant work as i would be to unrealable as some days are worse than others this is an on going this as it is not helped by my seven year old daughter also suffering with anixty and ocd and there is talk by teachers that she may also be sizorphinc i know if i was single i would be able to claim but not sure as i am part of a couple thanks
i cant slow down i wont be waiting for you i cant stop now because im dancing

Comments

• amyg
    amyg Posts: 47 Forumite
    Firstly I would contact TC as they may be put up as you are not working, as far as I know as a couple I don't know anyone who is on a combination of TC and disability. So I think Tax Credits would be your first port of call, if they can't help you I am sure they can point you in the right direction. They may require a Dr's note though as when I was off with depression I needed a Dr's note to get disability allowance from social security, not too sure how tax credits works though. Check out the Tax credits website.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/wtc2.htm

usually allows you to work out how much you should be on.
  • amyg
    amyg Posts: 47 Forumite
    The disabled worker element
    You may receive the disabled worker element of Working Tax Credit if you usually work at least 16 hours a week and you have a physical or mental disability which puts you at a disadvantage in getting a job and you satisfy either the 'qualifying benefit' test or the special 'fast-track' rules.

If you are claiming as a couple and your partner is also working for 16 hours or more a week, and is entitled to the disability element, you may receive two disability elements.

Hopw this helped
  • It is likely that your Tax Credits will remain the same as it will be based on your husbands hours.

If you are unable to work but have worked in the previous few years then you may be entitled to Incapacity Benefit which is not means tested so you could potentially get this even if your husband is working.

If you have not paid enough National Insurance credits then you won't get IB but may get IS but as this is means tested it is unlikely you would qualify.

What about Disability Living Allowance for both you and your daughter?

It sounds like you both have some kind of disability - see if you have a disability advice centre near you or some CAB or charities may be able to help you complete these forms.

Obviously if you receive any DLA for your daughter it is likely to increase your Tax Credits as there is an extra element for disabled children.

Please remember that your disability does not have to be a physical one, it can be mental one as well.

EE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport