GDPR - sole trader advice.

Quick question on GDPR.
I run a small gardening business (sole trader)
I use a laptop to create and store invoices on, these contain people's addresses, I also use it to email customer invoices. The laptop is password protected.
I also keep files with paper copies of invoices, again with customer addresses on. My files are stored away in a locked box. I also have customers phone numbers in my mobile, my mobile is password protected. I'm wondering if I need to change anything to become compliant to the new GDPR rules?
All my customers details are only on invoices which I need to keep for my tax purposes. Am I required to tell customers or new customers I keep these and that I have their phone number in my phone or have their email address stored?
I also have a Facebook page which potential and existing customers message me on. With regards to this am I needing to change anything?
I no don't have a website anymore.
Any pointers on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sprucegs wrote: »
    All my customers details are only on invoices which I need to keep for my tax purposes. Am I required to tell customers or new customers I keep these and that I have their phone number in my phone or have their email address stored?

Yes, you need a privacy policy outlining the personal information that you're keeping, the reasons for keeping, your data deletion policy (i.e. when each bit of information will be deleted), etc. Most people seem to be putting their privacy policy on their website. If you don't have one, you may need to give a paper version to each customer (past and present) or find some other way of making them aware of it, i.e. by email or on your facebook page etc.

You'll also need to register with the ICO as a data controller.
  • sprucegs
    sprucegs Posts: 48 Forumite
    Ok. Thankyou. If I post my privacy policy on my Facebook page that's all I need to do? Alot of my customers are elderly, and although I produce an invoice for my own records alot of them do not want an invoice and are just happy to pay me there and then.

I wasn't aware I needed to register, I'll look into that. I was under the impression that because my customers details are held for tax purposes I don't need to.

Many thanks.
  • sprucegs
    sprucegs Posts: 48 Forumite
    I came across this so now thinking I don't need to register as I need the details for record keeping.

"The Data Protection Act requires every data controller who is processing personal information to register with the ICO, unless they are exempt. ... There is no need to register if you handle personal data only for core business purposes of staff administration, advertising marketing and PR and accounts and record keeping."
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just found this, which may be useful for those pondering whether or not they have to register with ICO:
    Exemption
    Any organisation, regardless of size, is fully exempt from paying the fee if it is processing personal data only for one or more of the following activities. If personal data is being processed for any other purpose(s), the exemption does not apply.
    • Staff administration.
    • Advertising, marketing and public relations.
    • Accounts and records.
    • Not-for-profit purposes.
    • Personal, family or household affairs.
    • Maintaining a public register.
    • Judicial functions.
    • Processing personal information without a computer or other automated system.

Organisations have to comply with GDPR and other data protection legislation even if they are exempt from paying the fee.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport