New Starter Business Accounts Software

Hello
Can anyone recommend a low cost accounts software package.

I am a new start-up sole proprietor in a franchise.
My income is commission only, paid once p/m from one source. So a limited number of income entries initially.
I will be VAT registered.
I would like mobile receipt scanning and app facilities.

There's many to choose from, but all with limited unbiased reviews.
I would be most grateful for any user experience recommendations/advice.
Thanks and have a fab evening.
Michael

Comments

• secretdebt
    secretdebt Posts: 72 Forumite
    Hey,

Different businesses will have different requirements.

If its really, really, small volume transactions - maybe even just use Excel to track everything.

For more regular transactions, you can't go wrong with Quickbooks online.

Many accountants push it, due to the fact that its easy to use. The cost of it will likely be saved in the fees you would probably pay an accountant anyway, and some of them will absorb the fee themselves as they get special deals.

For larger volumes, I have used Sage or SAP.

Have a chat with your accountant (if you have one).

I have worked in various finance settings and used all of the above to do the accounts/bookkeeping for the businesses I have worked within.

Cheers
  • secretdebt
    secretdebt Posts: 72 Forumite
    I forgot to add - best of luck too :)
  • dancing_star
    dancing_star Posts: 312
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    secretdebt wrote: »
    Hey,

For more regular transactions, you can't go wrong with Quickbooks online.

Many accountants push it, due to the fact that its easy to use. The cost of it will likely be saved in the fees you would probably pay an accountant anyway, and some of them will absorb the fee themselves as they get special deals.

Cheers

As an accountant I hate quickbooks. You CAN and easily will go wrong with it, it's hideously un user friendly.

I inwardly groan if a client uses it, and would never suggest it.

We prefer Xero over Sage One these days, but Xero is probably too advanced for a very simple business. Sage One Start would probably be fine.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm an accountant and we'd suggest either Sage One or Pandle for a very small/simple business.

As above, I really would NOT recommend Quickbooks unless you have book-keeping experience. It's not user friendly and unless you know what you're doing, it's VERY easy to make mistakes. I hate clients who start using it without really knowing what they're doing - they think they're doing it right, but there's usually all kinds of systematic data entry errors which takes a lot of time to unravel and correct. I've used QB for decades, both the old desktop versions and the new cloud versions and love it when I'm doing the book-keeping or where properly trained book-keepers are using it, but for small business owners without prior book-keeping experience, it's just not recommended.

I used to hate everything Sage with a passion and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, but their new online Sage One is really good (nothing like their desktop versions nor earlier online attempts) and I've started recommending it and clients are finding it very easy to use.
  • mickybee1001
    mickybee1001 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 23 May 2018 at 9:38AM
    Hey All

Excellent. Some differing experience & opinions on software accounting products then.

I have looked at your recommendations.....
    Quickbooks appears to be the cheapest and the marketing paints an easy to enter package for a sole trader..
    Xero reviews are good in terms of product and price, but quite negative for aftercare service with I would find unacceptable if I require their service.
    Sage reviews are good although a few pounds more p/m and maybe because it offers more than I need right now..

As I am having my accountant manage the lot initially (incl. vat returns), I can concentrate on growing my customer base as he will handle anything from a shoebox of paper to any software I choose, I want a system that's easy to follow and facilitate mobile/electronic receipt input, low cost for obvious start-up reasons and is expandable.

I'll look further at Quickbooks & Sage One and roll with what feels easy to use from their free trial.

Thank you all for your generous input and sharing your experience.

Have a fab day.

Michael.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As I am having my accountant manage the lot initially

Has your accountant not recommended the most suitable software for you, in their opinion?

Very strange that they're letting you choose but they'll be the ones doing the inputting!

All accountants have their preferred software. Rather than asking random strangers on the internet, you need to get a recommendation from your accountant.
  • All accountants have their preferred software. Rather than asking random strangers on the internet, you need to get a recommendation from your accountant.[/QUOTE]

The accountant handles clients of all sizes with a myriad of different software package preferences.
    His point was likely that I choose what I am comfortable with rather than what he is comfortable with as I will be doing day to day inputting rather than give hime the proverbial shoebox of receipts.

As for asking random strangers, I am comfortable reading reviews from user experience and knowledge that may lead me in a preferred direction.

Thanks for taking the time.

Michael
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family