Self employed cleaner but want to venture into other thing too

Hi guys.

I am a self employed cleaner (domestic) and want to venture into maybe selling vintage/modern clothing as well as doing cleaning.

According to HMRC i have done everything i have to for tax puposes for the cleaning side of things.

I wondered if anyone would know if i would have to do anything else if i wanted to sell clothes as a bit of extra income. i have a business bank account so obviously everything made from cleaning and potentially the clothing thing would go into that business bank account. i just want to do everything properly tax wise.

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,587
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    HMRC ask what you "do" as self employed because it gives them a guideline as to what your income to expense costs may be. So when declaring just add any new type of income to your declaration. So with the clothes you may well have higher buying in costs than with cleaning. This will mean that when the expenses go up because of your buying costs have gone up they can see why, rather than a who does she think she's kidding reaction! But a business implies bought in for resale & not "I bought it ,wore it & it no longer fits so I'm selling it" type sale.
  • autumn2012_2
    autumn2012_2 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Hi Sophie123456,

Have you thought about going into oven cleaning? Good money to be made in it and cheap to do. Obviously there is additional costs such as insurance etc but its a very profitable area of cleaning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure