edited 25 May 2018 at 4:03AM in Debt-free wannabe
I am writing to get advice on a Paypal Dispute

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Beerus and welcome to the forum

First of all this debt is not a criminal matter, it is a civil one. The police will not get involved, although it is possible that at some point Westcot or Paypal could apply for a county court judgment (CCJ), which will affect your credit file.

Westcot are a debt collection agency (DCA). That means they are not bailiffs and they cannot take your belongings, in fact they have no special powers. Although there may be some debt collection costs added to the debt I wouldn't expect it to be a huge amount.

The problem with moving and not informing them is court papers can be sent to your last known address, and you could end up with a CCJ without knowing about it. Unfortunately you may also have difficulties disputing this debt because it doesn't sound like you had the parcel tracked. Can you afford to pay the debt in one go? If not you could try negotiating an instalment plan. I'd advise you to contact one of the debt advice charities for free advice on the best way to deal with the debt. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure