saving my future self from debt

Comments

• Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    your diary intrigues me :)

I wish you the best of luck. shall subscribe to your adventures.

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • Thanks for the follow Starmummy - no pressure then!

Managed to get to Brighton after a 5 hour trip doing my various errands. My spend wasn't too bad considering and it was lovely to give my boy a big hug en route.

£5.50 on some snack supplies for DS
    £10.00 - musical equipment for DS for uni. (I will take the other £10 as it was £20 in total out of his savings).
    £12.80 parking! Hate paying for parking £2 was from when I got DS bits.
    Don't have access to electricity cost

£25.67 daily available spend remaining (30p drop from yesterday).

Picnic on the beach for tea yesterday- it was positively Mediterranean (aside from the pebbles :))

The weather is due to be good again today so we shall no doubt go for a walk along the seafront later and for dinner I'm going to use up some of my Tescos vouchers that I transferred into pizza express vouchers.

I was going to talk about how I got my 'other life' down here but I'll leave that for another time as its a long post!

Happy Days
    PFTP X
    Goal:to save £16,000 by 30/09/2019 claw back rental costs
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • A Little Bit About Me:

Relaxing in the sunshine and thought I'd write a little about me and my relationship to money as I think it gives a fuller picture to understanding the way I spend and save and the things I do and don't spend on.

In my previous life I was married and living an extremely comfortable existence where receipts were never looked at, holidays were plentiful and the kids attended private schools. I was privileged to be a stay at home mum and loved being with my children. Growing up in a family of divorced parents and a latch key kid I had learnt the value of money from an early age as my mum had to be the master of frugality and multiple jobs to support us so I was never an extravagant spender and didn't really fit into the life of ladies who lunched or the world of the designer bag, never had a cleaner or au pair as did many of my school mum friends but I never had to think about how much was in the bank account. Money always comes at a cost and a husband who lived to work eventually swopped me for a younger model and left me devastated with two very young children about 14 years ago.

Not knowing what lay ahead of me I turned to frugality, paying cash for everything and started squirreling money away whatever I could into a savings account my mum set up for me. Luckily for me I was a natural and soon had spreadsheets and budgets for every possible spend and savings. I got the art of interest free cards, bulk purchasing on reduced priced foods and bank accounts down to a fine art. I never went down the route of lawyers and just agreed to what my X offered in my divorce settlement as I knew chasing money wouldn't make me happy.

The route of frugality eventually lead to my love of minimalism and simple living and I am now a fully fledged hippy dippy Earth loving tree hugger. I love a challenge and so around 9 years ago I challenged myself to step outside of consumer society for a year and bought nothing other than essentials and have never really looked back since.

Having lived both sides of the coin I can honestly say I am so much happier with my life as it is. Yes, money is a requirement but I don't live my life by it. I work for a woman who is extremely wealthy but she is a slave to her money and her lifestyle. She buys and buys and buys stuff all the time but it holds no value to her. Her time is consumed organising and paying for people to maintain her stuff. My life is so free in comparison, despite the slight hurdle I am climbing. My X is the same, he has another family now, 2 £1m+ houses in the UK and 1 in the States. I would never swop my life for his.

Life without enough money is debilitating, but life with lots of money imprisons in a different way. Finding the right balance gives you freedom.

So that's the background of my relationship to money and I hope it provides an understanding as my diary unravels.

PFTP X
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • Hello! I love your 'little bit about me' post - everyone should do one of those as it's lovely to see the ethos behind what you do. I think it affects so many decisions. 90% of our debt was built trying to keep up with not so much the Jones's, but of the subconscious expectations we'd set around out life, trying to maintain the lifestyle we'd had as children, trying to reach a bigger house, nicer clothes for the children, more clubs and activities for them etc etc.

Addressing those has led us to a really similar point - we have become quite minimalist and checked out of the housing ladder competition (we will stay in our small house), although my love of design still challenges me, as I find it hard to resist buying a beautiful thing, whether it's a vase, a toilet brush, an item of clothing or a wooden floor! I am worse with things we 'need' (toilet brush, washing up bowl) as I want the most beautiful one. It's easier to resist things that are unnecessary in the first place - foreign holidays, an excess of clothes.

I like your method of working out your available daily spend, that's a great way of doing it, and might be the sort of solution I need to help my DH get on board with not wildly overspending some days, if he can see the effect on the daily available spend for the rest of the month.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • pennyforthepot
    pennyforthepot Posts: 652 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2018 at 8:47AM
    Hi TreadingonPlaymobil,

Thanks for stopping by. How funny I'm in the middle of reading your diary so meeting the TOPM of the now whilst engrossed in your diary of the past is weird - I feel like I've jumped through time :) The daily available spend works really well for me although seeing it drop significantly after a weekly food shop is a little demotivating but it becomes a great challenge towards the end of the month as you try to see how high you can keep it so you can move the last days worth into your savings pot. For me my 'Debbie's Dailys' is the DFW equivalent of the Tillies Tidy over in MFW - having a daily motivation works well for me :)

Everyone has a story, no one got to where they are today because they were greedy or thoughtless but it is easy to judge and sometimes a little peak into someone's past helps to shed light on how they got to where they did.
    Money should be just a method of transaction, a tool to purchase what is needed or wanted but for so many of us it has become a set of emotional handcuffs. A prime example of this for me was last week when my daughter face timed me from her dads house in Texas. She walked me round the house and through the iPad I got to step into the world that I could have had if my future had travelled another path. For 3 minutes I ooed and aahhhed and felt an overwhelming sense of want and jealousy. Life didn't seem fair as I realised that my whole flat could fit in the hallway! Luckily within 5 minutes of the call all I could think of was the housework and the upkeep a house like that would take, the stuff I would have to buy to fill it but it does show how easy it is to get swept up into the land of desires, the 'it's not fair' and 'I want what he's got.

It was another beautiful day here in Brighton and we made the most of the weather with breakfast on the beachfront. We did have quite a spendy day as we were out all day, walking for miles in the sun and sitting enjoying a drink whilst people watching for a couple of hours too. It is so rare for me to drink but I must say 2 pints of refreshingly cold cider in the sun went down rather well. I did ask for a cuppa after the first pint but they didn't sell tea so DH decided a half of cider was the perfect substitute! We strolled back after to pick up my Pizza Express vouchers and finished the day off with a lovely dinner out. (Going out for dinner is pretty much unheard of for me so both breakfast and dinner out was something of a first). DH had agreed to the kitty idea and it worked really well as there was no feeling of unfairness in our purchases. So on to the daily spend:

From the Brighton Kitty of £80:

£13.50 breakfast
    £7.80 beers and crisps (DH bought some outside of the kitty as he acknowledged that I've already spent £30 on petrol and parking before I've even stepped out the car)
    £15.00 for pizza express drinks including £2 to avoid using an additional voucher and a generous tip. Total 3 course meal came to £55 so only spending £15 is great.

£36.30 total

Non kitty spend

£5.49 for a very large bag of pumpkin seeds that I use daily and is about a quarter of the price I pay in a supermarket. They should last me a good 6 months.

£25.89 daily available spend although this may be lower as I suspect DD will have eaten into the cash I left her for food so will calculate it properly when I get home. Also need to pick up some fruit on the way and do a food shop tomorrow so expecting a significant drop.

Suns still shining so off to make the most of it before the weather turns

happy Days
    PFTP X
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • Time travelling TOPM, at your service :D .

I know what you mean about looking at others with brief jealousy. We had children younger than many of our friends, so many of them are far more stable financially than we are and I sometimes look at their lives with envy (especially the ones with limitless free grandparent childcare!), but then when I examine it more deeply I see some unable to find the right partner, or struggling to get pregnant, or not coping with the huge lifestyle changes of having children after so many years doing what they pleased, and I realise my choices weren't so bad after all. Plus my children are quite nice ;) .
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Delurking to say I really enjoyed your 'This is me' piece pennyforthepot
    It is interesting to read the diary of someone willing to think creatively to find a way of living that suits them. I love the breakfast on the beachfront comment. I visit Brighton sometimes but had always thought it would be a bit 'full-on' living there. It doesn't appear that way from your writing snippets.
    Enjoy your Sunday :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have enjoyed reading your first few posts , you write really well . I have subscribed, look forward to reading and following your journey .
  • Hi Cumbria Lass and DoingitAnyway - thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment. Cumbria Lass - I'm hoping your enjoyment doesn't wane once my posts become all 'about the spreadsheet' :O Our journeys are so personal and the way we diarise varies in so many ways. I think because I don't really talk to any one in the real world about such things - the blank stares and rolling eyes indicating ' Oh God - she's on one again' means that I love the fact that I can open my heart about the subject on here and people actually show an interest. It is a tricky one as it is a fine line between talking about how you live and your values and not been seen as preaching! DoingitAnyway - our flat is towards the Hove end of Brighton so we're not right in the thick of tourist and 'Hen Party Land!

Stepped back into my other life. DD has kept the flat tidy - though the Food Pot was empty. I did take £5 back out before I left, wisely obviously,so it only had £15 in it and DDs BF, gave her £5 for me because he felt guilty about the fact that they had spent the £15, (heart melts) they've stocked the fridge up a little so I'm not complaining.

Trying to get my heads round my spends and transfer them to my spreadsheet.

£7.50 - kids costs (DS uni food shop on Friday)
    £44.00 - Brighton Kitty (we went for tea and cake before I left which was £6.80 I think) - £36 to carry over for next month :)
    £7.79 food (pumpkin seeds and a gf vegan chocolate brownie I picked up for DD.

I have £23 left over from my petrol as I didnt need to top it up and I think that will be able to go into the savings pot at the end of the month as I still have 200 miles left in the tank.

Income today:
    £7.07 from S123 acc2 net after £5 fee.

£25.75 daily available spend for tomorrow - I do have prom tickets to pay for tomorrow and I need to do a food shop so it may take a dive by Tuesday.

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • Quick check in this morning.

I've a busy day ahead. Working today, which I don't normally do but we are full on at work in preparation for an event on Wednesday evening. I don't normally work an event and definitely not evenings, but as I need the money I can't afford to turn it down. I was full on last week too and with my Brighton away weekend I'm really behind on all my chores as well as the fridge being bare. I'll have to do a quick shop when I finish work for the basics and I desperately need to write a to do list as there are so many things that I need to get done including my car MOT which I'm pretty sure is due by the end of April.

Anyway coffee is slurped and I need to get breakfast on the go and think creatively on the GF vegan packed lunch for DD as a lettuce and wilted courgette sandwich may not appeal :)

Spends so far today:

£1.64 - electricity (averaged it out over the last 3 days) shame the weathers turning but refusing to turn up the thermostat

£1895 - rent came out today :(
    £24 - water DD

Treading gently on the earth (I love that phrase)
    PFTP X
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills