Reclaiming bank charges - scam?

Hi all

I entered some basic info on an advert I saw on FB regarding claiming back bank charges and fees.

I got a call today saying I could get over £1k back...that part seems legit from the research I've done.

However this company say they won't charge unless I win the claim, but then they'd take 30%...

I feel like this is a scam, especially when they started asking for bank details. Should I avoid this? I don't feel confident pursuing this individually so would seek legal advice in any case - which would probably costs more.

I've gone through my statements and I've been paying bank charge since Jan 2009.

What's peoples experience in using third parties to recover any potential monies?

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's not a scam, it is paying someone for something you can do yourself.

Are you in financial hardship currently?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I got a call today saying I could get over £1k back...that part seems legit from the research I've done.

You "could" get back £5000 and men from mars could invade the day later. That is the thing when you say "could". It could be anything. It could also be nothing.

Banks stopped refunded charges after they won the court case in 2009. It is just financial hardship cases they do not (unless you do not mean bank charges but packaged bank account fees).
    What's peoples experience in using third parties to recover any potential monies?

What monies? We need to know what you are referring to as your subject suggests unfair bank charges. However, there are only two known successful cases since 2009.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure