Switching Supplier and Meter Readings

Options
I have recently switched energy supplier and provided them with a meter reading on the day of the switch. When I recently logged on to provide them with another meter reading I noticed they had added a lower meter reading after the date I had provided my initial one. I have queries where they got this reading from and their response was :-

"When you send us your opening meter readings we have to send them to an industry regulator to verify they are in line with your expected usage. The other reads you are referring to are what the regulator has proposed for your opening reads".

The proposed meter readings provided by the industry regulator are lower than my actual readings. Has anyone experienced this and how did it affect your billing?

Thank you

MaisieDae73

Comments

• glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes.
    In my case the new provider ignored the reading I gave them and used a lower reading (only 15 units low) for the start. That caused a problem with the provider I left because the estimate was lower than the last actual reading I had given them in the week before I left. So it appeared the meter had gone backwards which prevented creation of the final bill.
    It was 3 months before I got a final bill and that was only after 4 calls to customer support. The old provider finally reconciled the bills by cancelling the reading from a week before I left and generating a new Final Bill using the new suppliers (under) estimate reading. I agreed this action with my old provider because my new supplier is one of the small fish in the market, so it wasn't worth trying to get them to use the correct reading; the difference was less than a quid.

The reason my estimate was low is because I was away from home for a few months last year. Apparently the system can't cope with such variable usage patterns.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure