Plodding determinedly up a 300k mountain!

Comments

• I hear your pain on the work front.

What has worked for me is trying to detach myself emotionally while being deliberately and irritatingly cheerful.

However, 2 years on I am only just recovering from my last post - I had no idea at the time what a negative impact it was having on me - so please take care.x
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ... 2 years on I am only just recovering from my last post - I had no idea at the time what a negative impact it was having on me - so please take care.x

Yep, that's one of the reasons for my energy problems now. Seconding!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    What has worked for me is trying to detach myself emotionally while being deliberately and irritatingly cheerful.

However, 2 years on I am only just recovering from my last post - I had no idea at the time what a negative impact it was having on me - so please take care.x
    I read about imagining placing a bell-jar over your head to stop other's negativity reaching you. But I decided that would make me claustrophobic and resentful - why should I isolate myself when it's others causing the issue? So instead every time I saw a certain very negative person approach my desk I imagined scrambling Thunderbirds 2 out of the stationary cupboard and bombing down the office to drop said bell-jar over them as they approached. Worked a treat - I would be grinning inanely by the time they arrived :D (especially if bell-jar bopped them on the head on the way down :rotfl:).

In all seriousness, it's awful when work affects you like that. But the above really worked for me. Why not try it (or maybe a different, slightly more sensible, version of it :o).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Thanks guys - SHS, I used to do that with an old manager who didn't like acknowledging people below a certain grade (that I was at the time). So I used to smile and call him by name as we passed in the corridor. Took more pleasure in that than I probably should have done!

Gallygirl, hmm.... this might work. One person in particular I keep hoping will succumb to the illness going round the department. Just for a few days of peace.

I think that deciding to leave has really helped because I don't worry about the long term anymore. Just hoping that one of the PhD programmes decides I'm worth interviewing.

Not sure if someone said something to my manager but they found me on lunch yesterday (while I was hastily hiding job appliations) and told me how valuable I am to them and how well it's going. Maybe it shouldn't take a year for you to pay someone a compliment? (I've been told by them that it's not that kind of workplace. Well, my department is now! My staff do a good job, I'm going to tell them.)

Good news though, I checked our payroll and 18 of the 25 hours of OT I submitted last month were approved (none of it is guaranteed) so at least it'll be a good payday next week.

So tired after this week that I didn't take on any tutoring and slept in until 9am this morning. Can count the number of times that has happened in my adult life on one hand. But I feel so much better for it. It's freezing here so have put the heating on for an hour and crawled back into bed. Seems a bit daft heating a whole 3 bed house all day for me and the cat. Said cat is napping under the covers at my feet.

My MSE Energy saving club cheque came in the post this morning but will wait til Monday to cash it as I am very happy inside today. Going to test out the home laser hair removal kit an old lodger left because it didn't work on their skin/hair colour. I am super pale with dark brown hair so it should be quite good.

Got Christmas cards to write ready for sending. Only one more gift for OH, my brother and a couple of bits we're going to pick up on holiday and we're done for Christmas. Just need to get a potted tree organised and we're golden.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend?

Current Balance: £248,000.00
    Kitchen Savings: £8,250/£13,000
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good luck with Phd application and resisting the work negativity. I' not going outside today either, I'm wearing loads of layers and still can't get warm. However, we did have terrible hail this morning so I'm well justified staying in.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hope the PHD applications turn into something :)

Chilly here, too - I've had the heating on and off most of the day.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Awww, a napping cat :):):)

I'd be interested to know how the home lasering goes - I had professional lasering done years ago (when I was rich!) for my bikini line, and it was very successful, I liked it a lot.
  • Thanks CathT, and hail? Eek, most definitely justified. Hopefully it's not so bad this morning?

Me too, greent! We managed only two hours yesterday but I am debating a second hour already today because I am cold. Will probably cave on it soon as the cat has found somewhere else to sleep today.

She's adorable KC. Like all cats. :) If I could afford it, I would definitely go professional. But this kit was free. Starting with the underarms because apparently you have to shave and not wax between home treatments and so my legs won't be ready for a while. Will report back.
  • Not the best of mornings, been up at the local A&E and it turns out I have broken my foot. Not a serious fracture, but it's the result of running since the physiotherapy started working and I am definitely feeling that this shouldn't be fair. Got to ice it and keep my weight off it for a few weeks and it should heal on it's own.

Couple of MSE wins:

- The gift I was going to get my brother for Christmas next month was half price in the sales this weekend. Plus buying it through TCB got me 15% cashback.
    - Feeling slightly sorry for myself so I have used some overripe bananas and slightly out of date eggs to make a cake. With added chocolate chips and it is delicious.

Now going to plonk myself on the sofa and sort out the Christmas cards as I am not supposed to be moving much!

Current Balance: £248,000.00
    Kitchen Savings: £8,250/£13,000
  • Karmacat
    You poor thing! Wishing you lots and lots of chocolate chips!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure