Bifolds

<sebb>
<sebb> Posts: 453 Forumite
edited 11 June 2014 at 2:09PM in Is this quote fair?
Just had a quote for Aluminium bi-fold doors. 5 doors, total width 4.2M. The manufacturer of the doors is Schuco I believe.

£7,150 including VAT (with an extra 15% on top if I want them in any colour other than white).

Its a bit higher than I was expecting (particularly the colour supplement as I do want them in grey). Waiting for another quote but that seems to be taking an age to come through.

Oh and I'm in London, so I expect that adds a bit to the fitting cost.

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Schuco is a top end brand I think. There are cheaper options.
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's over the top by roughly £2k, Schuco are a good brand but no better than many others and are far from the biggest seller in the UK for this type of product.
    The colour you want is probably RAL7016, the biggest selling Grey in the UK.
    If you want to know anything else let me know, i work for the UK's biggest Aluminium system company (only supply the trade) so cant sell you anything but can help with technical questions and who's worth trying.
  • <sebb>
    Thanks for the response. Would you say it's over the top because they are using Schuco who are expensive, or over the top for providing Schuco doors (ie someone else would supply the same doors for £2k less?)

Another local firm uses Beaufort bifolds - is this a decent brand?
  • ytfcmad
    <sebb> wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. Would you say it's over the top because they are using Schuco who are expensive, or over the top for providing Schuco doors (ie someone else would supply the same doors for £2k less?)

Another local firm uses Beaufort bifolds - is this a decent brand?

You should be looking at circa £1k per leaf, Schuco are roughly 20% more expensive than most then there's your London mark up so it's no more than £1k over the top and if you got the colour option all in it would be more or less spot on.

Beaufort does not exist any more the company is now called ALUK and has been for some time so who ever you have been talking to is a bit out of date!!
    Google ALUK and have a look at the about us section.

Is it a good brand? I can think of two Aluminium systems with better Bi-fold's not including Schuco. Nothing wrong with them as a company though.
  • mongeese
    mongeese Posts: 18 Forumite
    I have been getting quotes for sliding doors, not bifolds, but got the following - 2.1m high x 6.8m wide - 3 vents. This is London. All include fitting and 10 year insurance backed warranty.

Schuco 9.5k
    Sunflex 9.7k
    Reynaers 7.5k
    Kloeber 7.5k (4 vent)
    Smart 9.2k
    Solarlux 13k (2 vent)
    Skyframe 26k :shocked:

I went to Grand Designs Live to check a lot of these out. For all intents and purposes the Reynaers doors are just as good as the Schuco doors, so I am going with them instead. The Reynaers supplier I found fabricates the doors in UK and gets the fittings, etc from Belgium. This no doubt accounts for the large saving compared to the wholly German manufactured items that then need shipping too.

So check out a couple of other brands and also see what is offered by way of leaf size as some will go to 1.2 metres per leaf on a bifold which typically gives more glass than frame and is more thermally efficient too.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stay well away from upvc bi folds , I thought I would save a few quid and regret it now, they expand and contract like a yo yo dieter , stick when its hot and have gaps when it's cold
  • ytfcmad
    mongeese wrote: »
    I have been getting quotes for sliding doors, not bifolds, but got the following - 2.1m high x 6.8m wide - 3 vents. This is London. All include fitting and 10 year insurance backed warranty.

Schuco 9.5k
    Sunflex 9.7k
    Reynaers 7.5k
    Kloeber 7.5k (4 vent)
    Smart 9.2k
    Solarlux 13k (2 vent)
    Skyframe 26k :shocked:

I went to Grand Designs Live to check a lot of these out. For all intents and purposes the Reynaers doors are just as good as the Schuco doors, so I am going with them instead. The Reynaers supplier I found fabricates the doors in UK and gets the fittings, etc from Belgium. This no doubt accounts for the large saving compared to the wholly German manufactured items that then need shipping too.

So check out a couple of other brands and also see what is offered by way of leaf size as some will go to 1.2 metres per leaf on a bifold which typically gives more glass than frame and is more thermally efficient too.

:rotfl: Schuco doors are not fabricated from outside the UK and shipped in they are made in the UK , ALUK, Smarts, Sapa and Reynears are all fabricated in the UK by lots of different fabricators. ALUK are Italian, Smarts and Reynears ar Belgium, Sapa are Norwegian/Belgium.
    Component parts come from all round the world but stocked by the companies above in the UK. Most of the Aluminium used comes from extruders in the UK, Smarts have one at Yatton and Sapa have a very big one in Cheltenham.

I'll stop now:)
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    kaya wrote: »
    Stay well away from upvc bi folds , I thought I would save a few quid and regret it now, they expand and contract like a yo yo dieter , stick when its hot and have gaps when it's cold
    depends on which direction you face. I was advised that north-facing they are fine.
  • <sebb>
    Just got another quote in. £6k for the easifold 3000 system (incl VAT and the colour) which makes it way cheaper than the other quote.

Are these any good?
  • ytfcmad
    <sebb> wrote: »
    Just got another quote in. £6k for the easifold 3000 system (incl VAT and the colour) which makes it way cheaper than the other quote.

Are these any good?

Not the best of designs, there are more up to date products than this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback