Weekly Spend Challenge W/C 29th September 2013

Options
EverTheOptimist
EverTheOptimist Posts: 2,694 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 October 2013 at 10:14PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
Hello everyone. Welcome to the Weekly Spend Challenge. This challenge is open to anybody, no matter what financial place they are in.

On this thread please post an amount of money you wish to stay below within the week (Sunday to end of working day on Friday). This can be pennies or thousands it depends on the individual. Then next Saturday report back and pledge for the following week. The challenge runs from Sunday to Friday so we don't include Saturdays but feel free to change the rules to suit you and include Saturdays or start on a different day.

Feel free to update this thread with daily spends if that keeps you on track. We colour code the results as below:

Green - within budget
Red - over budget
Purple - zero spend
Orange - made money over the week

This is a little bit of fun but for many it highlights the fact that maybe that magazine/chocolate bar isn't needed. Hopefully your spending habits can be changed forever.

Moozie was the founder of this challenge and here is a quote taken from her:

Originally Posted by Moozie:
"Good afternoon lovely DFWs Now for anyone looking in, please feel free to join - the more the merrier! Basically, decide on the amount you want to spend up to from Sunday until the end of the working day on Friday then pledge it here and off we go! The challenge is about incidental spending and not for stuff that should be budgeted elsewhere such as bills, groceries, debt repayment etc but you decide what to include at the end - this is about changing your habits and improving your recording of your spends more than anything else. Have a great week everyone and keep it low!!! Moozie x"

Good Luck Everyone

W/C 22nd September 2013 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £25 / £21.82
ShootForTheMoon - £20 / GREEN

CasperTheFriendlyGhost - £5 / £3.21
Splodgethefirst - £5
Munchin - £25 / £33.58

Flyinggiraffe - £20 / £19.64
Beanielou - £10
Just2Ashamed - £40
MrsGSR -

W/C 29th September 2013 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £35
CasperTheFriendlyGhost - £5
Flyinggiraffe - £40
Munchin - £5 & €100
Splodgethefirst - £50
ShootForTheMoon - £5
bt1 - £30
MissE001 - £70
Just2Ashamed - £80
SPC 14 Target £200 /
Debt: £11850

Comments

• bt1
    bt1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi please can I join this week? :)

My target for this week is £30 (inc £25 for weekly food shop)
  • EverTheOptimist
    Options
    Evening everyone

Sorry for the delay with the new thread. Was away at a wedding. Had a wonderful time. And my little man was soooo well behaved. I was really proud of him, especially as I was there without hubby. :D

Anyway setting £35 for the week.

Plans

Sunday - drive home from wedding
    Monday - out for coffee with work colleague - £5. Visiting a friend at her house.
    Tuesday - baby group
    Wednesday - music group
    Thursday - baby group. Out with a friend for lunch - £25. It's my wedding anniversary and as hubby is usually away it has become tradition for my friend and me to spend it together.
    Friday - baby group
    Saturday - no plans

I feel like I've forgotten something, I really need to start writing things down, flippin' baby brain. :D
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • EverTheOptimist
    Options
    Welcome bt1. :hello: Good luck with the challenge.
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • MissE001
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread ETO :A. I'm glad you enjoyed the wedding - and I like your plan of celebrating your anniversary even while hubby's not around - have fun :)

I've been away on holiday so missed the last few weeks. I really need to knuckle down this month. I'm off to the theatre on Friday night with my mum and sisters. This will involve getting my haircut (which is due anyway) and going for dinner - it's my only plans outside of shopping and petrol this month.

Phew, that was a long story to justify the £70 I'm budgeting for this week.....and hoping to be zero spend till Friday though
    SPC Member #112 :A Save £2k in 2014 # 160 :money:
  • Just2Ashamed
    Just2Ashamed Posts: 229 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2013 at 4:19AM
    Options
    Right, I got a bit confused and disheartened last week because I could't decide whether to include Christmas or baby spends. I've decided that I'm not, as long as they're sensible, necessary and go on The List to ensure I don't duplicate and hoard. Having said that, I am going to include grocery and household expenses, which given that we're deep cleaning and entertaining this week (as well as My sister's Hen on Saturday) means my budget is £80.

Plans:

Sunday - NSD
    Monday - Will need to get fresh stuff (i.e. bread, milk, eggs) and some cleaning products (budget £10). DH has decided that Monday night is 'takeaway night' but I sometimes manage to avert this by preparing something before he gets home - if not budget is £15
    Tuesday - Hopefully NSD - going to 'de-smokify' DH's study while he's at work as he's Stoptobering
    Wednesday - Entertaining so need to buy ingredients for dinner and some booze for guests - budget £10
    Thursday - Weekly shop (am budgeting £40)
    Friday - Hopefully NSD
    Saturday - Sister's hen party, going for a meal, kareoke, drinks (non boozy for me obvs) and taxi home - not including this in allowance but don't want to spend more than £40 all told
    PAD: £4843.10 (loan paid, yay!)
    One debt vs 100 days: £288.73 / £750
    £20 a day: March £838.97 / £620 April £224.53 / £600

Total debt 04/2015: £13,997.51
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all

I am going to join this week but I'm away on holiday on Thurs. I might have a problem updating after that as my hotel only has wifi in the lobby:eek: but this will stop me going mad when I'm away.

Planned spends

Sun - £5 (paper, biscuits and charity)
    Mon - NSD
    Tues - NSD
    Wed - NSD
    Thurs - 50 euros
    Fri - 50 euros

Total £5 sterling & 100 euros.

Breakfast is covered in the hotel but I will have to get lunch and dinner.
  • EverTheOptimist
    Options
    Welcome back Just2Ashamed. :wave:

Good luck with your budget. You might find it takes a few weeks of working out what to include or not. I still make changes now. I used to include petrol and groceries, but then found I added bits to my grocery spend that should have been in my weekly budget so I was cheating.

I now have a separate grocery and petrol budget. (Again :rotfl:)

And just use this weekly budget for any miscellaneous items I want or any lunches/ coffees etc.

But obviously you have to set rules that work for you.

Good luck for a week of NSD's MissE001. And hope you had a nice holiday.

ETA:
    Oooo Munchin have a lovely holiday.
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • Hi everyone!

Thanks ETO for starting this thread.

This week I'd like to allocate £5.00 again please.

So far I've managed a NSD for Sunday and also so far today. I know it's still early but I am staying at home and not going out today or spend any money online either!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Cheers
    Casper
    xx
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • flyinggiraffe_2
    Options
    *waves* hi everyone, thanks for the new thread ETO.

I going to pledge £40 this week, as that's what I removed from the cashpoint.

Sunday: £6.78 kids toys for the little relatives
    Monday: £6.98 lightbulb and lamp
  • splodgethefirst
    Options
    Sunday - NSD
    Monday - coop coke bogof £1.71
    Now plan for rest of week
    Tuesday - train fare (7.20) lunch (10) bingo (10) - will also be looking for new trainers at sportsd1rect
    Wednesday - NSD
    Thursday - NSD
    Friday - ?? NSD

Will say £50 to include the trainers. Happy week all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure