oh my life...... Light Bulb moment.

Comments

• MiMi66
    MiMi66 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There might be something in that theory. I think it's probably due to a lack of control and discipline overall. I think if you start getting to grips with one area of life, the others follow. The first thing I sorted out was my weight - by eating low-carb I lost a stone and a half and reached the lowest weight I'd been in years. I have sustained this more-or-less and am now working on dropping another half stone.

In the past few months I am much better at managing my finances - I forced myself to do this by closing my 'spending' credit card account which meant I did actually have to come up with the money for things instead of slapping stuff on credit card.

The decluttering needs more work - I'm a bit like you, I find it hard to part with my stuff 'just in case' but I'm getting better. I should be more like DD2, she chucks stuff without a backward glance. :)

Good luck with the 5:2 diet - lots of people reckon it works for them. I personally would only stick to a diet I know I could follow forever and therefore, low-carb is the one for me. I've never felt so good, those afternoon slumps are a thing of the past, I'm much slimmer and I'm never starving. :)

Well done Peace and Freedom on the weight loss as well as paying back towards your debt - that is terrific. I saw your signature figures and also your catch phrase re Hope not being a plan - I like that - I might borrow it as a personal mantra? Low carb does sound effective an to some extent the %:2 can naturally incorporate that as well - I have found that I have craved less carbs overall - and I have been a carb glutton!!

It is funny you should mentioned your 'spending credit card' as that is where I think most of my problems have stemmed from.. I was thinking about it earlier today actually, and wondering how I can make the transition from using a card that I pay back each month (but invariably 2-3 time a year, I don't hence my overall debt wither stays the same or climbs). I think that perhaps once I do the re-assessment of my living costs with my daughter leaving for uni, might be the right time to try and make the switch to cash only (gosh that brought up a panic feeling...) I know that I can live without fresh credit as I have done it in my early part of my adult life - so it is something about recapturing those old attitudes pre the 1980'/90's spend fest which is when I think many of us got into bad habits.Certainly I did - that and comfort shopping around my early divorce years. But many years later - I have no need to comfort shop, am not a clothing girl really - tend to go to Charity Shops and look for bargains when I can, and therefore I have no excuse really other than not having that little lump of money behind me to see me through month by month. I wonder - if I can I will try to do this before Christmas - how's that for setting a challenge! I shall try to embrace a supermarket :embarasse, reorganise my spending and debt - might mean it goes up for this month rather than down, but really - aim to put away the spending credit card by end of September...... Ohhh that is a time specific plan....Fab! Overall even if debt goes up this time, if I can transfer to cash I will not be building up spending cc debt in the future.

Might have to go and ponder on the figures - but not tonight - time for rest a nd bed and another day in the NHS tomorrow - counting my blessings for all my grumblings about lousy on call payments - I have a job, a job I love, with people, both colleagues and clients, who mean a lot to me. Night everyone who might be reading, :p
    MiMi66 2023 and moving forward ☺️
    £38154 - DEBT FREE May 2021
  • Night night to you too MiMi; sleep well x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• MiMi66 wrote: »
    Might have to go and ponder on the figures - but not tonight - time for rest a nd bed and another day in the NHS tomorrow - counting my blessings for all my grumblings about lousy on call payments - I have a job, a job I love, with people, both colleagues and clients, who mean a lot to me. Night everyone who might be reading, :p

I am entirely confident that if I still had that spending credit card I would have used it in the past few months. It seems I need to force myself to be disciplined. :o Make your plans - perhaps forecast spending over the next few months and see how the figures look.

You are lucky to be in a job you love, working with people you care for - that is a blessing.

Sweet dreams Mimi. :)
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MiMi66 wrote: »
    Hi Sazzie23

My on call hours are in addition to the ones I am contracted to - but I have optionto say no - the post contract we sign includes our partaking in the on call rota - but nothing about the remuneration, I don't think so anyway...

Yes I love spreadsheets - I can spent hours fiddling away with mine and looking at all the different configurations that ultimately end up the same! I am a self taught Excel fiend!

I recently changed my banking provider and I was open with them about my CC debt - they offered me a loan that would cover 15,000 of it - for 6.2% - I am thinking on that - not sure - whether to go the consolidation route or not. Chevalier suggested STEP Change which I did aboout 18 months ago - might be time to revisit them - again after my chick has flown off to UCL. One thing at a time.

Out of interest - do you know anything a bout self publishing and how to get started in that? Nice idea, and with the additional time I might have once my daughter goes off, perhaps I could really consider if I have the willpower to write some thing that might be marketable.

Thank you for the hug too!:T

Just catching up on your thread - also been awol for a while!!! in relation to on call - are you NHS? check A for C terms and coditions in relation to on call payments - The senior nurses at my place were getting around £60 a month for doing a weekend - now they get 4.5% of salary by applying A for C rules (depends on frequency and length of on calls) - they are complex but it would definately be worth talking to HR!
    If no luck - talk to your union about challenging your emplyer!

Nurses are so bad at sticking up for themselves!!! in our place lots of pofessionals have negotiated local arangements that are well above A for C! Our radiographers and physacists get alot more than nurses on call!
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    * Off topic apologies*

Thanks for the linky to the writing course - I had seen it earlier in the year and decided to do it when it came up, and forgotten all about it - so have just signed up.

They also do a course on Personal finance which is free, I did it earlier in the year, I can recommend that as an overhaul for every aspect of your financial situation.
  • Hi there
    Just wanted to say hi and well done!!
    I just rejoined here as I'm wanting to get rid of my debts and start saving for a deposit for our first place. (I obviously stayed away from here too long or else there may have been no debt eh!!).
    I wanted to say if you fancy the writing go for it! I've been writing a book,(on the side), for a bit and it's a great bit of escapism. Stops the online shopping hey! I, (like the others said before me), like your writing style. I think you'll find many will too❤️
    Good luck with debt busting, fat busting and writing the next fifty shades�� (if only we had E L James bank balance hey!).
    Oh and by the way I just signed up to that course link above!
    Looks fun��
    Now to that debt busting of my own........����
    Clearing the debt and saving for my first home:j Bring it on:j
    September grocery challenge £78.48/£250
    Challenging myself to clear all my stuff on eBay so I can actually move in my bead shed and do classes in there for Christmas! Eek!:xmastree:
    Get to my goal weight 2st 7lb / 5st 7lb:j getting there!
  • Hi,

I'm returning to MSE after being away for a while ( can't seem to remember my old log in details - doh) I have read you posts and really enjoyed following your progress. Well done, such determination and staying power.:T

I think we are in a very similar situation in some respects. I am a single Mum as well. I have 1 about to go to university and another still at school. Unfortunately, my ex husband does not pay anything towards their upkeep, he never has. He told the CSA years ago that he has no income and and has kept up this story. Also, I don't have a secure job, I'm on a contract, it has been extended until the end of March so that's how long I've got to find something else. I don't think they will extend it again as that would mean I have been there over 2 years and I would get employment rights.

Sorry to crash your thread, just wanted to say "well done" early.

Cherry
    1/10/2015 Debt Free
    1/1/2018 Mortgage Free
    Now saving for early retirement
  • MiMi66
    Well, it has been over a year since I've posted anything and I'm here at 2 AM in the morning which I think probably speaks volumes about with my head is at and I am so sorry to say that I have been pretty useless on the debt busting front this last year. Everyone who had been following my posting something so kind and supportive and probably right now but I need someone to shout at me! Ha!:-/
    Tomorrow I will update my signatures which is where my debt is at, simply place to where my head is at - my debt has increased rather than reduced and I feel embarrassed and angry with myself. Disappointment doesn't cover it.
    I have no really good reasons to explain why it's increased to around £28,500 - deep sigh.... I think the inevitable trap of having a spending credit card and the plan to pay that off each month that inevitably fails every few months is the culprit, (The real culprit is me as it is me and presses the button is on the blasted card machines in stores or online).

Also needless to say, is the fact that my weight remains at a very healthy blossomed and pumpkin like state at 70.3 kg and my bedroom looks like a charity shop and an untidy one at that! I am so frustrated with myself and irritated that I have been so weak on so many fronts. I know that I did a lot better when I was using this forum regularly as a point of contact and focus for working on my debts and other challenges so here I am restarting and hoping that I can break this poor habit of my adult life.

Hair shirt well and truly on right now.

On the up side, I am facing this without depression.... Which I am thankful for. And my children are doing fab fab fab! My daughter has started her second year at university in London and she is blossoming in a far better way and her mother! My son has made the transition to college with grace and ease and catching a train every day for an hour each way, he is happy and for 17-year-old boy that is that is brilliant.

The challenges for what they're worth this year have been me having major surgery rather unexpectedly and in the run-up to that I spent irresponsibly in seeking to comfort myself and temper my anxiety - I have never spent so much so quickly! And most of it seemed to be in Boots on health things that were unnecessary. I am seven weeks post surgery now and only just looking at a phased return to work over the next month or so. I am well but sore and easily tired and can't lift more than a kettle for another 5 weeks....

One of my cats had an injury to her leg - very glad she is ok now and that is kept the insurance policy. Other cat needed to have teeth out last Christmas - gummy girl now but she's ok.
    Oh, and the hallway ceiling fell down in the middle of the night last Spring, like a shotgun going off at 3.09am, lathe and plaster everywhere. Dust for several months - bizarre - I became expert with a duster! And then just before my daughter went back to uni and a week before I went into hospital we had a small but very smoky fire in the lounge room - arghhhhh. But while paying excesses on insurance policies seems to have become a habit for both pets and house this last year, I am glad to have had them in place. The fire was a near miss and could have been so much worse - log rolled out of the fireplace and I was asleep on the couch (another expert skill of mine) my daughter had gone up to bed but omitted to put the fire guard in place, so I struggled to awaken but was aware of smoke and the most awful smell of the carpet burning. Doesn't bear thinking about the possibilities does it.

So - while I am deeply ashamed of my finances and my behaviour with money, I sort of count myself as lucky with the non financial challenges as ultimately we are all ok. Deep breath.

So why now, why at 2.33am? Christmas!! The great rekoner to those with debts!! I am determined to not add to the debt due to Christmas. And with a bit of luck no further ceilings will fall in or fires igniting carpets to add to the financial burden, and the forum will help me to be accountable.

So bear with me as I restart my journey with an even greater distance to travel. I am still hoping to get the debt cleared- the 5 year plan still stands, even if I have to sell my bod.... Oops no- not quite that desperate yet!

On a happy note my mortgage continues to go down. Approximately at £98k for the two accounts now. Small blessing.

If anyone is awake now and worried - please take heart, (talking to myself here as well) money is a stress but health and people you love and who care for you are the real riches. Money can be sorted - some of us just take the less trodden rocky path, but I suspect we are in good company.

Good wishes for sleep.
    💤💤💤💤☺️
  • Hi Mimi
    Hope you've managed to get some sleep. As you already know there is a lot of support and help for you here whenever you need it. Sounds as though you have had a lot of stuff going on, so remember to be kind to yourself as well. Small steps.
  • MiMi66
    Hi Mimi
    Hope you've managed to get some sleep. As you already know there is a lot of support and help for you here whenever you need it. Sounds as though you have had a lot of stuff going on, so remember to be kind to yourself as well. Small steps.

Hi Crazy cat lady,

Thank you for kind words and yes I fell asleep at about 3 and have just woken, snuggled by two cats!
    But I've just spotted your signature with great admiration.... You have been debt free from this month to the tune of £28000 ! I am in awe! Congratulations! other than the obvious (don't spend on CC's) did you find any other specific habits or ways to repay the money and keep focuses on the end goal? How long did it take?
    Well done, it is brilliant to hear from someone who has done it. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport