Stuck please advise

Hi, I work as a community carer, my car has broken down and is unrepairable, I have no money to buy another car and I'm on a dmp so can't get a loan ect so I have no way of carrying on in my position. Obviously I'm looking for work now but what do I do if I don't get a job straight away, can I sign on if I am still employed? I'm on a zero hr contract so it makes no difference to my employer they are not paying me anything if I don't work but if I put my notice in and leave and still have no job am I right in thinking I will not be allowed to sign on as o left of my own accord?

Comments

• CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    blueye wrote: »
    Hi, I work as a community carer, my car has broken down and is unrepairable, I have no money to buy another car and I'm on a dmp so can't get a loan ect so I have no way of carrying on in my position. Obviously I'm looking for work now but what do I do if I don't get a job straight away, can I sign on if I am still employed? I'm on a zero hr contract so it makes no difference to my employer they are not paying me anything if I don't work but if I put my notice in and leave and still have no job am I right in thinking I will not be allowed to sign on as o left of my own accord?

Dear Blueye,

You may be able to receive some Jobseekers Allowance if you are working less than 16 hours. However to clarify this and the steps you must take, please contact Job Centre directly on 0800 055 6688 (Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.)

You may also wish to get a benefit check to see if your income can be maximized further and to clarify what benefits you could be entitled to(if any.) To do this, you may either visit your local bureau or contact turn2us who provide checks over the phone on 0808 802 2000.

If you decide to resign on your own accord then yes, you may not be able to claim JSA for a certain period (usually 1 to 26 weeks) as you will voluntarily quit without good reason. You may however be able to claim a hardship payment which is a reduced rate of JSA. For more information on this please click on the following link titled ‘Benefit for people looking for work’

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_benefits_in_work_or_looking_for_work_ew/benefits_for_people_looking_for_work.htm#hardship_payments_and_jobseekers_allowance

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure