Is it legal to be double-charged for Broadband?

Options
actresskat
actresskat Posts: 47 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 25 May 2018 at 3:04PM in Broadband & internet access
Hello! Does anyone know if its legal to be double-charged for broadband? We cancelled our Plusnet service on 1st May (because of price hikes), which they accepted and processed. We transferred to our new provider on 16th May. However, we just received an email today from Plusnet saying service would be cancelled on 4th June...is this legal? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plusnet are useless with their billing system.
    You have 2 options:

1. Cancel the direct debit now;
    2. Let Plusnet take the money and reclaim it from them.

Either way tell Plusnet that they have made a mistake and tell them what you want done.
    Also log onto the Plusnet Member Centre and check if they have a debit card details for you. If so, delete them. And check the bill in the member centre too.

And complain - details here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

Also tell OFCOM - they wont help you but if people complain, they will investigate Plusnet's charging of ex-customers. Look for the link under "Tell OFCOM" at the end of the page https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/billing
  • actresskat
    edited 25 May 2018 at 3:47PM
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    You have 2 options:

1. Cancel the direct debit now;
    2. Let Plusnet take the money and reclaim it from them.

Either way tell Plusnet that they have made a mistake and tell them what you want done.
    Also log onto the Plusnet Member Centre and check if they have a debit card details for you. If so, delete them. And check the bill in the member centre too.

And complain - details here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

Also tell OFCOM - they wont help you but if people complain, they will investigate Plusnet's charging of ex-customers. Look for the link under "Tell OFCOM" at the end of the page https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/billing

Thank you, that's very useful. By member centre, I presume you mean I should log into my account? If so, that's a tough one, as they've already deleted my account. I was unable to log in earlier so they've done something.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yep "Member Centre" is the Plusnet My Account portal.
    Well if it's gone, it's gone. They are very quick at blocking access. Shame they cannot do the same for the bills.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 May 2018 at 4:57PM
    Options
    actresskat wrote: »
    Hello! Does anyone know if its legal to be double-charged for broadband? We cancelled our Plusnet service on 1st May (because of price hikes), which they accepted and processed. We transferred to our new provider on 16th May. However, we just received an email today from Plusnet saying service would be cancelled on 4th June...is this legal? Thanks for your help!

How much notice did you give ?

Who did you move to ?, and did you use the proper migration service, or did you just order a 'new' service and cancel the old service ?

If you used the correct migration process and the 'new' provider isn't Virgin Media but a company like Plusnet that uses Openreach's network, then you should get a refund for any days paid to them while not getting Plusnet service presumably you would have been getting service from the new provider.

If you have cancelled your direct debit with PN , this may not happen automatically, as that is how the refund would get to you.

if you effectively just told PN to cancel (so not a migration) they can probably charge you a months notice , Did you call to cancel on the 3rd or 4th of May ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @iniltous
    Plusnet's own community forum is full for people using the correct leaving method but still getting billed after they have left.
    Sadly Plusnet have form in this particular area and were fined £880k by OFCOM last year. They also promised it would never happen again but lied as the Plusnet forum clearly shows.
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2017/plusnet-fined-880,000
  • actresskat
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    How much notice did you give ?

Who did you move to ?, and did you use the proper migration service, or did you just order a 'new' service and cancel the old service ?

If you used the correct migration process and the 'new' provider isn't Virgin Media but a company like Plusnet that uses Openreach's network, then you should get a refund for any days paid to them while not getting Plusnet service presumably you would have been getting service from the new provider.

If you have cancelled your direct debit with PN , this may not happen automatically, as that is how the refund would get to you.

if you effectively just told PN to cancel (so not a migration) they can probably charge you a months notice , Did you call to cancel on the 3rd or 4th of May ?

Yes, Plusnet accepted our cancellation on 1st May and advised we seek a new service within 14 days. We transferred to an openreach provider, as you've mentioned so should've transferred smoothly. We phoned Plusnet today and the first 20 minute call didn't resolve anything. He went off to find a manager and we got cut off. On the second call, we had a very curt advisor inform us that we've been refunded several days ago, although the transaction isn't showing on our accounts (yet). Bizarrely, we can log into our 'closed' account now and see the 'credit note', albeit on a different date to the one she referenced. We are glad to finally be rid of Plusnet (hopefully!) We'll see if the refund shows up or not...My biggest bugbear with customer services advisors is they never apologise on behalf of the company they're working for anymore...really grates me!
  • actresskat
    Options
    @iniltous
    Plusnet's own community forum is full for people using the correct leaving method but still getting billed after they have left.
    Sadly Plusnet have form in this particular area and were fined £880k by OFCOM last year. They also promised it would never happen again but lied as the Plusnet forum clearly shows.
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2017/plusnet-fined-880,000

Thanks for this! I'm pleased we've phoned to try and sort it out...:T
  • ChrisK....._3
    ChrisK....._3 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Options
    Cancelling your direct debit could impact on your credit rating
    You have 2 options:

1. Cancel the direct debit now...
    [/URL]
    If I ruled the world.......
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    plusnet do seem to struggle.

They took line rental after I paid line rental up front and then miscalculated the refund due when I left because of the price rise, at one point claiming that I wasn't due any.

We only hear about when the mistakes is detrimental to the customer and not the other way round, but I suspect they put more focus on things that make them money. Otherwise I can't see how they'd stay in business.
  • ChrisK....._3
    ChrisK....._3 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Options
    If it's any consolation it took me about 6 weeks to cancel Virgin Media after the over charge me 86 quidd and he also forgot to cancel my subscription eventually a phone call from customer service head who told me "you shouldn't have to put up with all that" and I thought "well tell me about it" but she finally fixed the problem and I got my money back and I was cancelled
    If I ruled the world.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport