Architect Advice - Get rid of oil

Options
Ok, we are completely remodelling our bungalow and are in the process of having initial consultations from architects, technical architects etc (CIAT).

One technical architect who was particularly focused on energy saving and efficiency, when discussing replacing/upgrading the current heating and hot water system and options mentioned ASHP, which is something we are considering along with replacing the old oil boiler for a new and more efficient one, told us the government will ban oil, it's already going to be banned for new builds.

Now I can understand new builds without mains gas using ASHP as you will be building with more energy efficient materials etc, but our bungalow is a 1970s bungalow and whilst it does have cavity wall insulation and we will be replacing all windows and want to look at underfloor heating all through, to be told at least over half of your £120k budget will primarily go on making the house more energy saving so the ASHP works more effectively seemed a little OTT to say the least! Even with the government grant if I'd never be spending that much money on making my house efficient.

Was the architect being a bit OTT. I can't see oil being banned, literally every rural property being forced to go onto ground or ASHP? She was talking about gas eventually going. What with the government wanting us to have all cars electric too are we heading for a purely electric world?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    £60K on energy saving?

How much is your current heating bill(not hot water, appliance use etc) £500pa? £1,000pa? even if you cut bill in half what are your savings?

£60k in a long term investment will produce over £1,000 pa and you still have the capital in the bank.
  • todayisagreatday
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    £60K on energy saving?

How much is your current heating bill(not hot water, appliance use etc) £500pa? £1,000pa? even if you cut bill in half what are your savings?

£60k in a long term investment will produce over £1,000 pa and you still have the capital in the bank.

It's hard to answer! We only moved in at Easter. It's a 2 bed bungalow, just us and the oil had just less than half a tank in of oil in it. We have now a quarter tank of oil, but rarely had the heating and hot water on. We have just been using the electric shower and boiling a kettle to wash up rather than use the oil. We are looking at extending up to a second story so it will become a 3 bedroom plus study.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, we are completely remodelling our bungalow and are in the process of having initial consultations from architects, technical architects etc (CIAT).

One technical architect who was particularly focused on energy saving and efficiency, when discussing replacing/upgrading the current heating and hot water system and options mentioned ASHP, which is something we are considering along with replacing the old oil boiler for a new and more efficient one, told us the government will ban oil, it's already going to be banned for new builds.

Now I can understand new builds without mains gas using ASHP as you will be building with more energy efficient materials etc, but our bungalow is a 1970s bungalow and whilst it does have cavity wall insulation and we will be replacing all windows and want to look at underfloor heating all through, to be told at least over half of your £120k budget will primarily go on making the house more energy saving so the ASHP works more effectively seemed a little OTT to say the least! Even with the government grant if I'd never be spending that much money on making my house efficient.

Was the architect being a bit OTT. I can't see oil being banned, literally every rural property being forced to go onto ground or ASHP? She was talking about gas eventually going. What with the government wanting us to have all cars electric too are we heading for a purely electric world?

Shavuot Advice - Get rid of your Architect ;)
  • todayisagreatday
    todayisagreatday Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 May 2018 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Yes we had two, this woman was all focused on energy saving and not into design. Doesn't help us when considering what to do with the oil! We are in the early stages of trying to find an architect. This woman was not one of our choices to take forward!
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shavuot wrote: »
    Shavuot Advice - Get rid of your Architect ;)
    Especially when they make such an unfounded sweeping statement!

One technical architect ...... told us the government will ban oil, it's already going to be banned for new builds.
  • todayisagreatday
    Options
    Yes, not one we will be considering. They also have lots of other incorrect information regarding permitted developments.... Not a good start.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The normal advice for gardens when you move into a property is to observe them for a year before doing anything too drastic. Not sure how long you can manage to do that with living in a house, but it's a bit late to do much this summer anyway.

I'm reasonably focused on energy savings in my three-bed post-war terrace and with solar panels doing much of the water heating and a wood burner use around 6-700 kWh of gas a year. I'd probably agree using oil is to be avoided but those estimates for energy saving seem absurd.

Have a look at Green Building Press and the associated forums, they might give you a different perspective on what is possible
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I expect this architect also thinks that the farmers will soon be using electric tractors as well! I suppose they will eventually, but we're a long way from there at present.

When we began making plans for our rural 70s bungalow, the architect we chose seemed fairly grounded and we knew some nice work he'd done, but when it came to the crunch he let us down badly, also imparting info which proved to be false. Over time, we gained the impression he considered himself suited to better things......Anyway, we took his plans, spoke with a builder, modified them ourselves and just used him as an expensive artist!

Then came the heating stuff, because we knew what we had was all due for replacement. Whatever energy-saving or eco solution we looked-at, it was all coming out at horrendous prices, offset by jam tomorrow via RHI.

At my age, I'm not banking on tomorrow, so we went with oil and saved about £20k,which we spent elsewhere on things that would improve our daily lives immediately. So glad we did, especially when I hear some horror stories about local firms who jumped on the eco bandwagon. Leading edge is often bleeding edge too.

We have great insulation now and the majority of our wood for the woodburner is 'free,' so we're happy enough with our decisions. We could easily add solar, but at the last check, I found we'd only be saving £372 a year, sooooo....I think I'd rather pay for the leccy and have a better set of machines to work the land into my old age.
  • todayisagreatday
    Options
    Davesnave, you hit the nail on the head! My dad who does a lot of agriculture and farm work has always shared a similar view to you regarding the whole move over to electric everything!

On one hand the ASHP appeals and we will get the government £7k ish to help towards this and we would want underfloor heating anyway The other side of it is I just don't think ASHP fits with our lifestyle and I like the instant heat with oil.

Like you we have a pretty good wood supply that is free

We have now got at least two architects that we have shortlisted along with 3 others booked in for initial discussions.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Davesnave, you hit the nail on the head! My dad who does a lot of agriculture and farm work has always shared a similar view to you regarding the whole move over to electric everything!
    I do use a mains electric saw in the yard for sawing up logs. It's just a Screwfix cheapie, permanently fixed to the saw horse thing.

I also have a battery powered Stihl for hedging, and it's brilliant, especially when working next to the road. I do know of someone locally who didn't hear a car coming and dropped a small tree on top of it! Worked out very costly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure