Copyright claims for images on website (info only, no question)

Hi all,

Just thought I'd make this thread after my recent experience.

I had an email and recorded delivery letter from a place in the Netherlands claiming I owed money for a copyrighted image. They showed a screenshot of the image and demanded £180 for back payment of the usage of it on my business website. My website has around 50 images on it, all of which were either created by me or purchased legitimately from a online resource.

I immediately removed it from my website, I then attempted to trace where I had sourced it from. It had been at least 6 years, so it was impossible to know how I got it. I would have no issue with paying an individual for it, but the wording was quite aggressive and I don't corporate which people like that.

So I ignored it and it's been 5 months and I've had no follow up from them. I'm not condoning 'photo theft' and in honesty, the market has grown and therefore the price has gone down so much, it's really not worth it. I've bought good quality images for only £5 or so, at high resolution, so if you're creating a website yourself to save costs, avoid potential hassle later on and do it the right way. If you don't have the money, create a quick placeholder until you have the funds.

Hope that's helpful to someone!
If someone is worth thanking - click on the 'Thanks' button on their response. It's just a nice thing to do :-)

Started debt at 17, stopped by 25 :-D ...I'm in debt again because of property :-/

Comments

• GAD1981
    GAD1981 Posts: 15 Forumite
    This is so helpful thank you! I have been dealing with the same and was starting to panic about the fine they mentioned!
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    claims of copyright infringement by use of "other people's" photos has been discussed many times before. Here is an earlier example found using the SEARCH function

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5613162&highlight=copyright
  • bikerchris
    bikerchris Posts: 157
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GAD1981 wrote: »
    This is so helpful thank you! I have been dealing with the same and was starting to panic about the fine they mentioned!
    You're very welcome GAD, it was only my intention to help others, not by way of adding to an out-of-date thread untouched for over 12 months. ;)
    If someone is worth thanking - click on the 'Thanks' button on their response. It's just a nice thing to do :-)

Started debt at 17, stopped by 25 :-D ...I'm in debt again because of property :-/
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bikerchris wrote: »
    not by way of adding to an out-of-date thread untouched for over 12 months. ;)
    LOL, so you waited 5 months and in another 7 your contribution will be as out of date as the ones you are denigrating

I agree that digging up old posts can be irrelevant, but not when all you are doing is trying to share an experience, not ask a specific question looking for help

adding to an "old" post when sharing experiences is much more valuable since it then enables readers to see several examples and perhaps the emergence of a pattern..
    on the other hand your isolated post simply leaves the reader wondering:
    - was he just plain lucky?
    - were they on a fishing trip and have moved to the next target having got no response?
    - have they really gone away?
    - is this just an isolated example related to that specific company in the Netherlands?
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,346
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 23 May 2018 at 11:03AM
    I get the message the OP is sending, namely make sure you have the permission of the copyright owner before you put an image on your website. A sensible message. It saves hassle but in this case did it actually cost the OP anything financially in so far as did they pay up.

It seems that the OP cannot say whether they have the permission of the copyright owner or not, so one must assume that this firm in the Netherlands could quite possibly have a legitimate claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure