Do You Enjoy Your Job?

Whilst job hunting, I find loads of reviews on the jobs I go for, from previous employees, many complaining about how they were treated badly and hated working for the company. Obviously you're going to get one or two people like that pretty much everywhere, but some of these positions have soooo many unhappy ex-staff members who are giving awful ratings and claiming unfair treatment.

I've actually enjoyed most of my jobs. It's more often than not been the customers who made them difficult, not the position itself or management. So I was wondering how many of you actually enjoy your job and don't just put yourselves through hell every day for the money? And just out of interest, what are the jobs that you have loved and those you hated? And what were your reasons?

So it's fair, Ill list some of mine:

Night Club Worker - Loved it aside from lots of trouble with drunks, crime, drugs and violence.
Retail Worker - Loved it aside from annoying customers.
Bar Tender at Social Club - Enjoyed overall, bad management means I was left to work entire functions by myself which often included 100+ people, and I was expected to clean both rooms before he returned.
Kitchen Assistant - Hated it, the chef screamed at me none stop, made me cry every single day over something trivial in front of everybody, and I was sick and having panic attacks every morning before work.
Bar Tender at Country Ale Bar - Best Job EVER. Mostly down to having a fantastic manager and a really great team.
Coffee Barista - It's good aside from a colleague screwing me over.

How about you?

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Did you write reviews of any of these jobs? I think unhappy employees are much more likely to write than content ones.

Yes, I enjoy my job. It has some tedious and frustrating moments, but is mostly interesting and worthwhile and my contribution is appreciated.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think most people more or less enjoy what they do, but it's not like they'd carry on if they won the lottery out of sheer enjoyment.

My day job a lot of the time feels a bit like answering queries on this board so who wouldn't love that?

Used to be the deputy manager of an off licence, which mainly involved drinking beer and watching Come Dine With Me. That was good. Cleaning; that wasn't fun, it was actually quite stressful. Worked for the NHS for a bit doing project work, that was interesting. HR in the financial sector I hated but it I learned a lot and it got me on to better things.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Mika134
    Mika134 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Did you write reviews of any of these jobs? I think unhappy employees are much more likely to write than content ones

Not many of them have been on Jobsearch Sites. However, I do write reviews on their facebook pages and websites if they are genuinely good facilities with good positions going. And if we were short staffed, I would always recommend people, and share facebook job vacancy posts. If you enjoy working for a company it's nice to help them out, and help others in need of a job to find an enjoyable position.

I never wrote or did anything for the ones I didn't like as much. I feel that unless someone really likes or really dislikes a job, they probably won't bother.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 May 2018 at 11:53PM
    I'm different I quite like customers above colleagues. Granted you don't hear as many thank you's in telesales as opposed to Customer Service. (The people I work alongside are terrific but I do wonder if it's because we don't do the same job...)

At the moment I do and don't like my current job, though the job title is very misleading for all that needs done in the role - I keep going because I know there is an end date so it doesn't really worry me when someone says I'll pay to get rid of you down the phone on a badish day - perhaps it would if I were permanent and sort of knew the abuse or challenge was going to be a daily occurance. The only downside is knowing I'm part of a FTC culture that won't ever need to use the likes of redundancy when you think about it and if I'm honest I wished I had looked up more the product reviews before I went for job, rather then after so I think reviews can be a good thing. Anyway I've done 5 months, I'm doing same job as started, sat in same seat and have had 2 managers and many colleagues change seats whilst "gainfully employed".

I've looked up past companies on the likes of glassdoor and to be frank, much of it is a pretty accurate description. One time I was spared from going to an interview when over and over again it was said come end of interview, the hirers scrutinise any travelling distance you may have to get to job, plus another time it was good to learn actually what an interpersonal excersise meant when unsure.

Perhaps they should stop employee reviews on workplace treatment esp with lack of reference culture nowadays. It's a bit like a certain consumer programme that feature bad guys and you might sometimes think they have it wrong.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Much of my day is spent on the road driving to sites, this I hate especially with congestion and an inability to get somewhere quickly.

My "customers" often have barriers to understanding (many don't want to hear what they are being informed of), I find that can be frustrating and tiring day after day.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I enjoy it enough to make the hours between 9 and 5.30 Mondays to Fridays tolerable.

I also enjoy being paid, and realise there's a link between the two.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure