Internet of Things

50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
By the end of 2017, there will be 8.5 billion internet of things (IoT) devices, compared with just 7.5 billion people.

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Not money saving related is it? Should you have not posted this on Facebook or Twitter?.
  • 50Twuncle
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Not money saving related is it? Should you have not posted this on Facebook or Twitter?.
    No it's purely for interest !!!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,198 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    By the end of 2017, there will be 8.5 billion internet of things (IoT) devices, compared with just 7.5 billion people.

And I bet half or more of them will be shoved in cupboard / drawer or just not working anyway
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    ... and the other half will be hacked and working as a monster botnet.

I've heard ads about Hive (remote control of your central heating) describing it as life changing. I suppose somebody hacking it and naffing up your heating beyond repair midwinter could well be life changing but I don't think that's what the advertisers had in mind - not that I can see how it could ever be life changing in any other way.
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It amazes me how many devices we have in the home. I used IP Scanner Pro and I have 62 devices connected to the network, there is only two of us in the house!

In the office our IP range goes over 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1 - I dread to think whats connected on that!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    rhysadams wrote: »
    It amazes me how many devices we have in the home. I used IP Scanner Pro and I have 62 devices connected to the network, there is only two of us in the house!

In the office our IP range goes over 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1 - I dread to think whats connected on that!

I'm a little concerned - 62 connections does sound an awful lot for your own home network, even if you have multiple laptops, phones, CCTV cameras, printers, an IPTV and internet fridge, it still sounds like a lot. You may wish to do a little checking to see if they all belong. Most domestic routers will also not issue that number of leases, so it may warrant a little attention :)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    No it's purely for interest !!!

There's a board specially for that:
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    It's a techie subject so what's wrong with posting about it here? If you aren't interested in the topic then don't read it.
  • 50Twuncle
    wealdroam wrote: »
    There's a board specially for that's:
    Go away and read that forum then....
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    it's bl00dy stoopid overkill if you ask me....plus many things have already been hit by malware....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure