Advice on Debit Finance overpayments

I took out a gym membership in 2009 and after the 12 months was up, stopped going to the gym. I have just noticed that 2 years on I am still paying the monthly direct debit to Debit Finance Collections, this is an error on my part for not noticing I know :(. Do I have any rights in reclaiming the overpayment back, if so how would I go about it? I am about to write to the company and want to be fully aware of my rights beforehand (if any).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    I took out a gym membership in 2009 and after the 12 months was up, stopped going to the gym. I have just noticed that 2 years on I am still paying the monthly direct debit to Debit Finance Collections, this is an error on my part for not noticing I know :(. Do I have any rights in reclaiming the overpayment back, if so how would I go about it? I am about to write to the company and want to be fully aware of my rights beforehand (if any).

Thanks in advance.

I recommend that you contact your local bureau for further advice on this, taking along any appropriate paperwork such as your gym membership contract.
  • Thanks, unfortunately I have no paperwork now, but I will go to my local bureau.
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Did you cancel the membership or just stop going there.
  • Just stopped going after the 12 months was up but i rejoined April this year with a new membership so have 2 lots of direct debits going out now
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    have a look at the paperwork you have and it should give you an idea of what the cancellation policy is. With mine I could give written notice after the 11th month that I was cancelling after the 12 months otherwise it just rolls on and then would have to give 3 months notice at any time
    Have you at least written to cancel your old contract now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure