national savings account

Options
my ex mother in law opened a national savings account for my daughter when she was born, and me and her son got divorced 2 years later.she has indicated that she has been putting money off my exs relatives in this account for my daughter all these years, but neither her or her son have ever wanted to see my daughter.now she is 18 would she be entitled to these savings does anyone know?if it involves any hassle with the ex mil we dont want to know but i feel this money is rightly my daughters given to her by her dads relatives who dont know what the mil is like!! :confused:
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D

Comments

• ReportInvestor
    ReportInvestor Posts: 3,646 Forumite
    Options
    If it's a National Savings Investment account then it will be in your daughter's name, not your mil's :).

So there shouldn't be a problem. It's her money and it can't be withdrawn without her signature.

But it sounds like your mil has the passbook :(. Would the account also be registered to her address?

If so, your daughter should try writing to National Savings saying that she has an account, has lost the passbook, asking for an up to date statement and giving proof of identity & new address.

She should move the money out of there ASAP as the interest rate is cr@p :).
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    yea the mil still has the book n we are estranged from her so it would be difficult, but i feel its my daughters right to have the money, as all her dads relatives have given the mil money over the years which was supposed to come to her. :confused:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family