Moving to new platform

Comments

• JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    An in specie transfer from Halifax Share Dealing ISA to II ISA took months. Halifax were at fault for some and then - according to II - the intermediary that they needed to use for the registration had a massive backlog. I got there in the end - with £50 good will gesture after my complaints - and I wasn't out of the market so nothing lost. Just a frustrating process.

I'm having a similar experience with an IG to IWEB transfer, the VWRL transfer registered very quickly, SSGA WOSC is taking weeks and no sign of a resolution yet, they're both claiming that contact with the other received no response, blaming each other for the delay.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    noh wrote: »
    I recently instructed Halifax Sharedealing to transfer my ISA from Alliance Trust Savings.
    It has gone well so far. It took around 2 weeks for the investment trusts to be transferred to Halifax and around 4 weeks for the unit trusts/OEICS to appear in my Halifax account. The cash in the account was transferred at around 5 weeks.
    I told ii they should waive a few months' fees as I am paying double: fixed to them (£25pq) and 0.45% for funds still at HL. But the longer it goes on and the more it is escalated (an email arrived this morning saying "we have now escalated this transfer to management") the more I wonder what level of compensation they will pay if pushed? Can anyone suggest what they typically will pay (if anything) in such cases if they acknowledge fault?
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 2:49PM
    I'm very happy with my current platform, but put this years ISA allowance in a new account at IWeb for diversity after reading posts on here about putting all eggs in one basket. I am amazed how quick it was - the whole process, including opening 2 accounts as a new customer, paying the money in by external debit card and buying the shares only took about 10 minutes from start to finish.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I told ii they should waive a few months' fees as I am paying double: fixed to them (£25pq) and 0.45% for funds still at HL. But the longer it goes on and the more it is escalated (an email arrived this morning saying "we have now escalated this transfer to management") the more I wonder what level of compensation they will pay if pushed? Can anyone suggest what they typically will pay (if anything) in such cases if they acknowledge fault?

I was no longer paying fees to Halifax as they closed their end straight away and issued an invoice for the remaining fees apportioned to the time it was active. II did not know this though. I got £50 goodwill.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • CityOwl
    CityOwl Posts: 64 Forumite
    Quick question
    I’m about to move my SS ISA from Charles Stanley to Halifax to save some money,
    How long does it take for it to be up and running.
    Thank you for any help.
    Transferred a S&S ISA in specie from Charles Stanley Direct to Vanguard in May, everything was done and dusted in two weeks. :)

Was expecting a bit of angst, but both providers were excellent and communication was good during the transfer process. The only reason for the move is that Vanguard are cheaper, but will definitely consider using CSD again in the future.
  • city owl
    Thank you for your comments, like you I am only moving to Halifax to save money. I have passed the point that now I need a fixed fee and not a percentage. For smaller amounts I would recommend Charles Stanley not the cheapest but excellent service and very easy to understand for the new investor.
    I choose the rooms that I live in with care,
    The windows are small and the walls almost bare,
    There's only one bed and there's only one prayer;
    I listen all night for your step on the stair.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    city owl
    Thank you for your comments, like you I am only moving to Halifax to save money. I have passed the point that now I need a fixed fee and not a percentage. For smaller amounts I would recommend Charles Stanley not the cheapest but excellent service and very easy to understand for the new investor.

I know it's probably not relevant to your situatuion but nevertheless it's not always the case that CSD is less suitable or more expensive for larger amounts, it depends on the type and style of investment.

I hold a collection of exchange traded products (ETF/IT) at CSD and make rebalancing contributions using one trade per month with new ISA allowance money.

At CSD the commission cost for each trade is £11.50 and platform fees are waived when making one trade monthly, so a strict one trade per month contribution scheme results in an aggregate platform cost of £138 p.a. all in.

The same process at Halifax would cost an additional £24.50 p.a. and I personally think CSD is a far superior platform and service provider.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 July 2018 at 11:42AM
    This in an email from ii yesterday: "We're getting in touch to give you an update on behalf of Aegon (formerly Cofunds), our provider of unit trust administration services. This update relates to one or more transfers to ii that you have in progress today. If you've recently contacted us to express concern over delays with your transfer and are awaiting a response, we'll contact you directly in due course. In the meantime, we hope you find the following information useful. Aegon advise that they are experiencing delays processing transfers between other wealth managers and, as a result, are falling short of the standards that both you as an investor and we as your broker have come to expect. Aegon apologise unreservedly for the delays and assure us they are working hard to improve their service and are focussing on recruitment and training within their administration team to resolve the delays."

(And in the bumph underneath: "Please do not reply directly to this message. It was sent from an inbox we do not monitor for replies so we won't see your email." And also: "This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email and highlight the error.")
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That is basically what they told me a good 6 weeks ago
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MattR1972
    MattR1972 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi,
    my partner and I have investments with Halifax and Lloyds (the same group) through Scottish Widows - we are also (suffering) Lloyds shareholders. To be honest, we have received very poor service.
    Currently we are both trying to switch funds to AJ Bell, to do this we have to sell the bespoke Halifax funds, take the cash and deposit in our new AJ Bell accounts.

However, the process of selling has been a nightmare. My partners investment was purchased around 15 years ago, when you could do this in branch. Now Halifax branch staff are afraid of interacting with customers. The Scottish Widows help line is terrible and they often ask customers to have identity documents certified in a Lloyds or Halifax branch - staff in both have told us they don't like doing SW's work!

Trying to keep up with your (changes in) investment is also hard with Halifax / SW, on their website under "Key documents > Investors guide" (sounds important)... you get "document under review"!

She has been trying to sell for a month - nothing has happened except receiving a form about money laundering. My partner is now trying to sell all of her Halifax investments as she is worried that if she needs to access her funds - there may be a delay.

So, my reply is to think twice about Halifax as a platform - for us, the charges are still very high (my partner has paid more than £90k in charges over the term of her investment - for rotten service and an average level of growth).

We chose AJ Bell over the others, cutting charges significantly - but there are plenty of providers. What is important to us is the level of charges and the speed of service.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport