Life's a climb. But the view is great.

Options
Narola1976
Narola1976 Posts: 529 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 13 September 2017 at 8:36AM in Debt free diaries
Hey there. So new name and new diary. I was just too ashamed to use my old username because it's just so painful to know that despite reading all the wonderful advice and stories of other people's inspirational journeys I managed to continue to get deeper and deeper into debt. I needed a fresh start. And I hope this is it.

So I was struggling to think of a title, last time it was quite negative and so this time I thought for goodness sake come up with something positive. Even that was hard, so I settled for something I hope I will be saying at some point in the future. I'll let you know if its true when I reach my debt free date some 35 months from now...It's going to be a tough few years; it needn't have been but there it is.

Right enough of my Eeyore mentality from this point on I am going to stop beating myself up; what's done is done - now it's about moving forward.

So what have I done so far:

* I have YNAB and I have reset the budget. Not enough money to fund every category and pay debt but I have done what I can. The main thing is all the bills and debts will be paid.
* Did a Snowball with all the debts listed in my signature (except for Car finance as this is new and on 5 year HP) and it tells me I should be DF in 35 months. Obviously will still have 2 years of car finance left but with no other debt can throw the money at it for the last couple of years)
* Now its a case of just updating the above as the money leaves the bank account.

Happily still waiting for £166 for my work expenses which will come week after next. This will be great help as we go on holiday next Saturday and while the holiday is fully paid as we are renting a cottage in the UK - we book a year in advance and pay it off over the year - there is little in the way of spending. Though we won't spend masses on food as will cook in the cottage and use grocery allowance towards this.

Then just realised today I had forgotten to add the toll charges to my expenses claim so that will be another £11 but will only see that next month I think. Also child benefit due at some point so some of those categories can have a small top up.

Also got a £10 Tesco voucher from Valued Opinions survey. This was helpful for odd bits we needed. I don't do many surveys as I work in excess of 40 hours and so there is no time. Better to just stick with one company and do them as and when I can.

Had to send my mum some money abroad as she is very poor and really struggling and had to use some of my savings- sent £200. £6.70 transfer fee though but at least she got the money the following day. I won't be able to send this much again but hate letting her down. Before I use to buy groceries online using the CC and did not worry about how much I was spending and so set the "tone" but this time, decided that I could not keep doing this, hence me using some money from one of my small savings pots. She would understand but I feel so guilty!

Trying to be frugal with food spend - scratched Waitrose and M&S off the list of approved shops and will be reverting back to Aldi, Tesco and Lidl. Freezers have a reasonable amount of food, and really plan to use this up first. I do have a lot of sandwich ham in the freezer which OH put in there when it was about to expire - he hates waste...*scratching head* how can I use this?? Must google!

Tomorrow will have a small unexpected spend...DD needs medication - I am not allowed to say why LOL, but think childhood issues!

I really need to clean the house. Its a right mess but have been procrastinating - it really is the thief of time. OH has been good (he recently lost his job) and does washing, dishes and hoovering but not much else, not that I am complaining. I am grateful; also he is a better cook than me and makes sure DD is fed. Must get DD roped in to do some chores. Well we have to do it as we have the pet sitter coming in to feed the cat when we are away (I have saved for the fees over the last year so we have it ready which is a relief); great incentive as I would just be mortified if he came into a messy house.

Healthwise - recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes so need to also keep on the LCHF diet which is a challenge in itself as this helps keep the sugar levels down. My eyesight is finally working well again which is a real relief, pretty scary time for a while.

So that's me in a nutshell; lots to do but it will be a waiting game most of the time; payday to pay day to measure progress. I just need to stick to the budget!

So I need a place to keep track of what is happening with my various balance transfers as I have realised they too are in a mess. Having multiple transfers is really messing with my ability to work out a snowball plan because of the way payments are allocated by MBNA. So:

HSBC @ 28.9% - [STRIKE]£7116[/STRIKE] £6524.68
MBNA 1.1 – 0% until 21.09.2018 = £8619.80 (this amount is being paid off now as it was the first BT made onto this card)

MBNA 1.2 – 0% until 20.02.2018 = £217.40 (this will kick in after the one below!)

MBNA 1.3 – 0% until 20.12.2017 = £1435.47 (come December this one is going to hit me hard)

MBNA 2.1 – 0% until 11.02.2020 = [STRIKE]£6834.82[/STRIKE] £6763.48 (this amount is being paid off now as it was the first BT made onto this card)

MBNA 2.2 – 0% until 10.02.2018 = £299.46 (this will kick in come February)
Barclay Card 1.1 – 0% until 01.10.2017 - [STRIKE]£688.32[/STRIKE] £60.69
Barclay Card 1.2 - 0 % until 22.09.2018 - £4079.76
Barclay Card 1.3 – 0% until 01.01.2018 - £304.69
Barclay Card 1.4 – 0% until 01.12.2017 – £31.57
Barclay Card 1.5 – 0% until 01.11.2018 - £2297.08
Barclay Card 1.6 – 0% until 01.11.2017 - £144.26
Barclay Card 1.7 – 0% until 01.01.2018 - £349.06
Barclay Card 1.8 - 0% until 01.12.2018 - £579.21

The best I can hope for is that I will be in a better position to get other BT cards come February but I won't hold my breath!
Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
Current Total = £25534.10
33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!

Comments

• boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello Narola,
    :hello::hello:
    Had to post to let you know you are in good company. I too rejoined under a new username in January all sheepish because our debs was at a record level. There was no need really, there is no judgement here but I do understand why.

Our starting debt levels are similar, I am looking forward to reading your progress.

Paws
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck!

Will follow to cheer you on from the sidelines :D
  • Narola1976
    Options
    Thanks Paws and HI for popping in - always nice to have a bit of company and encouragement.

So a little bit of an update... Spent a bit more than I planned:

* Pharmacy - medication for DD and us (precaution recommended) all to take. This led to OH experiencing an allergic reaction and his face and body was covered with large welts so off I toddled back to the pharmacy because the allergy medication I had expired in 2016! So a total spend of £13.27. Had to juggle the budget to get everything nice in green again!

* Then went to Aldi and got bread, ham, fruit and salad for the week - total £12.91. £3 at pound land to replace face clothes for washing. Came out of grocery budget - £50 left in the food budget.

Decided to check my cashback sites and was pleased to discover I had a small balance on each so that is £10.55 coming my way in the next few days. Will add to the categories I had to raid to pay for the medicine.

Direct debits going out tomorrow for 2 CC. So that's another £300 plus. HSBC is a massive 29.9% and no room for BT's on the other cards. WelI have room but not being offered 0% - definitely a sign that I am not as desirable a customer as I was before!

Next month is my last payment to HSBC for my loan - 8 years of my life gone and nothing to show for it except a lot more debt!! Let that be a lesson to anyone thinking a consolidation loan is the way forward. It is not - been there, done that, got the T-shirt! On the plus side I will be able to throw that £400 towards the other debts. Also just 2 more payments of £12.06 for my bed - it is 0% finance so haven't rushed to pay that off quicker.

I confess I played at tidying up but in reality did very little. I did bake a Keto Pound Cake and despite out of date baking powder and sweetner it tasted rather good - my first attempt at keto baking! I haven't had sugar or sugary stuff in 7 weeks so it was nice to eat something that was a bit sweet. Sugar free jelly doesn't always hit the spot!

Busy week ahead at work, but its a 4 day week! I took Friday off so I can clean the house from top to bottom before we leave for Cornwall on Saturday. Can't wait - hope the weather will be lovely! TTFN

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck :) I'm guilty of the consolidation as well :o

Hope your OH has recovered now.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Narola1976
    Options
    Thanks jwil. He's all better.

So a wee update. Paid £12.06 for my bed loan. Only 1 more payment to go. It's not a lot but still one less debt.

Also forgot to mention I changed my mobile phone plan. I was on a £10.99 SIM only plan with 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB but changed to a 12 month SIM only plan for £10 with unlimited calls, unlimited texts, and 4GB. So not only do I get double data allowance but I also save 99p per month!!

So apart from Bill payments it was a NSD. Yay. Also received my tesco vouchers...£9.50 to spend. Will save it for our holiday.

Tomorrow will be a spendy day. I promised my DD we would go bowling. She hasn't done anything since the school closed. Not easy to entertain 15 year old and she has been good not asking for anything . We agreed to go tomorrow instead of the weekend because it's half price. Tried to use the tesco reward vouchers but they won't accept it because of the special.

Right off to bed. Nite nite

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Have a lovely day bowling tomorrow, you've made a fab start! x
  • Narola1976
    Options
    Thanks HI. The special is only from 6pm which is just as well as I am working all day.

Luckily child benefit has just been paid in today so I can use some of that for the bowling fees instead of rejigging the budget. The rest will be to top up various categories. A few quid each as it won't go very far.

OH desperately searching for a job. Lots of applications but no joy.

Busy day at work. Lots to do in preparation for going on leave. It's crazy - you work like mad to get your work up to date and then when you get back the work has piled up and you almost wished you hadn't gone.

Not doing so well on diet. Not cheating but also not following the plan as I should so not seeing weight loss. I have so many stones to lose I really need to get my act together. I have lost about 12lbs over the last 7 weeks so not a bad start but need to keep the momentum going. My sugar levels are doing well so that's positive at least.

Right off to start the day. TTFN!

• Narola1976
    Options
    Oh oh happy days. Just opened a letter from the finance company for my bed to say that my loan had been paid in full. I thought I still had one payment left but it seems I miscalculated! I even phoned them to double check. Really pleased. I know it's only £12 but it's one less debt on my credit file.

And another good thing. I thought the bowling was going to be £22 but ended paying £18.10. We will sneak our own drinks and snacks in to avoid those exorbitant prices.

Cheers
    Narola

• Doris17
    Doris17 Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on paying the loan, you have made a good start from what I have read.

"Make Everyday Count"

#77 3-6 Months Emergency Fund £2528.11/£5000

• Narola1976
    Options
    Had a great time bowling with OH and DD although I am terrible at it lol. Took drinks with us so didn't have to spend money there.

The YNAB app has been updated and what is brilliant about it is that you can adjust your budget on the phone, add categories, move money, create a new budget etc. Before you could only do this on the PC but now I can do this whenever and wherever I like. I am currently on the free trial and what is also good is that I get the 34 days plus another 34 days so I will truly see if this is for me. But to be honest the changes made to the app has swayed me. When my trial is up in October I will probably sign up.

Today has been a good day. Hoping for another tomorrow. It will be a NSD.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure