PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Am I supposed to know how much soot came out of my chimney? Cos quite honestly I can think of better things to know. ��
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 September 2016 at 11:07AM
    Perhaps we just live sadly inadequate lives???

The amount and 'type' of soot that is in your chimney is determined by the sort of fuel you burn and the temperature at which you burn it. To know how much and what kind is to know if you are being efficient in your stove use and that means you aren't wasting what you've paid for and the 'kind' of sooty deposit in the chimney tells you whether you are burning at the correct temperature range or not.
  • Pooky
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ah see now I don't have a stove which is why I've probably not heard of it being something to consider.

Our chimney was swept on Monday, we used a new man and the house smelt very sooty afterwards which I've not encountered before.
  • Pooky
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Dehumidifier is back out of the garage and started it morning chores of clearing the bathroom condensation, we all shower with the window open (no matter what the weather) but it's nice to clear the extra moisture before it starts causing problems.

Collected lots on pine cones on my morning walks and they're all sitting in a basket drying out ready for fire lighting duties. Does anyone use the longer fire lighting matches? Are they worth it? I really struggle with normal sized matches and buy the longer kitchen ones but I think I'm right in thinking the fire lighting ones are even longer?

Garden is all tidied up so no work out there to do now and I found the thermal curtain linings yesterday so they're currently on the line having a freshen up and I'll start the great curtain sort out over the next few days. They were all washed during the summer so I just need to get the linings in.

DD1 has just started her final Uni year and rather than me having to fill her cupboards with food to keep her going she showed me her stocked up shelves and said she'd been buying a bit each week.......she's got the idea!
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Pooky wrote: »
    Does anyone use the longer fire lighting matches? Are they worth it? I really struggle with normal sized matches and buy the longer kitchen ones but I think I'm right in thinking the fire lighting ones are even longer?

AFAIC the extra-long ones are just something else that the shops can sell at the chattering classes who like to feel smug about having something a little better than what the hoi polloi has.

We tried 'em and decided that even if we had money to burn, they were a waste of time, so it's Cook's Matches for us. Best value for money when you take fire-lighterbility into account :)
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • Pooky
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Si_Clist wrote: »
    AFAIC the extra-long ones are just something else that the shops can sell at the chattering classes who like to feel smug about having something a little better than what the hoi polloi has.

We tried 'em and decided that even if we had money to burn, they were a waste of time, so it's Cook's Matches for us. Best value for money when you take fire-lighterbility into account :)

Thank you for doing the research for me :rotfl::rotfl: I think I need asbestos fingers, I always seem to get the match that burns down in a millisecond.
  • Pooky, make a newspaper spill, light that with the wee match and use the spill to light the fire :)
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Did a sort out of the kids pjs and DS has loads that still fir but DD has had a growth spurt and none of hers fit!

I feel like a bad parent as thought we would just manage as surely she hadn't grown that much - was only when I noticed the marks on her arm where the short sleeves were digging in to her that I realised how much she had grown!��

Anyway got them to try them all on tonight and hers are miles too small - her her summer ones and nightys that were bought more recently are fine but all her other ones don't fit - off to look at new pjs -

we always buy loads too as DD still sometimes wets in the night so looking for a bout 6 pairs - any ideas for cheap decent ones? Not had primarni in ages so might had a look but not sure what they are like now.

Oh and slipper socks ..... Her feet have grown too .... Got a nice bag of winter stuff to pass down to a friend with a younger DD tho I suppose.
    Living the simple life
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Pooky, make a newspaper spill, light that with the wee match and use the spill to light the fire :)

Gosh, spills eh? Does anybody else remember when Woollies used to sell bundles of wooden spills in assorted bright colours, wrapped round the middle with a paper label?

Maybe if they'd kept selling those (and firebricks), they'd still be in business ... :cool:
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I was given some multicoloured wooden spills not long ago. Probably bought online...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback