Pension Input Amount and 60% marginal tax rate

13»

Comments

• EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 July 2018 at 8:51AM
    Gronson wrote: »
    ... So it does appear that you can make pension contributions which receive tax relief at 60% due to income level between £100-123k and which end up being taxed as excess over the £40k annual allowance at either 40% or 45%
    As described in this article? I had no idea this wrinkle existed.
    https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/issues/15-june-2017/37-mark-devlin-turning-tax-trap-tax-relief/
  • Gronson
    Gronson Posts: 13 Forumite
    Thanks for the link
    That is exactly what I was looking for but good to get it confirmed on the self assessment software
  • Gronson
    It is on the list of approved software on the HMRC website

The link in the reply from Edswippet probably explains it far better than I managed
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    It is on the list of approved software on the HMRC website

The link in the reply from Edswippet probably explains it far better than I managed
    Well that's a strange foible - it does seem to contradict the gov.uk link I posted earlier...tax is stupidly complicated when it could be so much simpler and fairer - if stupid rules weren't put in place mainly for soundbite purposes.
  • Gronson
    zagfles wrote: »
    Well that's a strange foible - it does seem to contradict the gov.uk link I posted earlier...tax is stupidly complicated when it could be so much simpler and fairer - if stupid rules weren't put in place mainly for soundbite purposes.

But it keeps forums such as this in business :)
  • ex-pat_scot
    ex-pat_scot Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks to everyone who tried to assist with this. In the end I downloaded some self assessment software which confirmed that the excess pension charge DOES NOT count as taxable income for the purposes of triggering the personal allowance taper. So it does appear that you can make pension contributions which receive tax relief at 60% due to income level between £100-123k and which end up being taxed as excess over the £40k annual allowance at either 40% or 45%

It's a "feature" of the marginal 62% tax rate incurred between £100,000 and £123,000.
    It's a central part of any tax / pensions strategy for anyone in this income band.
    Frankly, there are few areas where you can do tax planning if an employee, and pensions, gift aid and CycleScheme are the main ones. The alternative, which many of my peers follow, is to reduce the hours worked so as to avoid entirely the 62% band. Their (not unreasonable) view is that they don't see the point in working additional hours but losing 2/3 to tax.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    The alternative, which many of my peers follow, is to reduce the hours worked so as to avoid entirely the 62% band. Their (not unreasonable) view is that they don't see the point in working additional hours but losing 2/3 to tax.
    The problem with that (though I assume many on much lower pay would class it as a 'nice problem to have') is that a good proportion of the jobs which pay say, £105-125k a year and cause you to lose your personal allowance are simply not available as an equivalent job for four days a week for 80% of the pay (i.e. £84-100k being purely 40% bracket).

Generally people clocking in and out at the factory or office gate and getting paid by the hour with some voluntary overtime - which they could choose to cut down and avoid earning the last few thousand pounds of income - don't get to six figure wages. Many of those that get there tend to be those on fixed salaries where you get paid an amount per month for your professional output which could sometimes be 40, 45, 50, 60+ hours of work spread over the week from time to time including perhaps some evenings or weekends as the job demands.

Some of those people going to their employers and asking for an arrangement where they only put in 80% of the effort or effectively do 0.8 of the job during Monday to Thursday with a nice long weekend each week, and make the employer recruit someone for the other 0.2 and deal with the inefficiencies of that, will find they get turned down and it would be a career-limiting move.

It can of course work better where you are independent contractor, from, owner of own business etc and have the luxury of turning away clients or extra work once you reach your target income, and perhaps if you're reaching these high salaries when in the twilight of your career it might be easier to "slack off" without consequences for career progression or choice of future opportunities.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'll bet there are plenty of doctors aiming to earn £99k p.a.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport