Taxing car as new keeper with v62?

lalaluna88
lalaluna88 Posts: 25
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all, bought a car today which I have since discovered only came with a mot certificate and no other paper work ( a family member bought on my behalf so I wasn't there for exchanging money etc).

Assuming all was in order I insured it, and popped to the post office and filled in a v62 but haven't sent it off yet.

Is it a case of I send the v62 off and hope it comes through quickly so I can tax the car asap or is there a way I can get it taxed asap without having to wait for the new log book? Currently borrowing a friends car who needs it back by the weekend hence the urgency.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    You need to wait until the new V5 comes back.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    debtdebt wrote: »
    You need to wait until the new V5 comes back.
    Only if they want to tax it online, otherwise they can tax the car at a Post Office with the V62.

https://www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-without-v11-reminder
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Only if they want to tax it online, otherwise they can tax the car at a Post Office with the V62.

Only the current keeper (with form V62), or a new keeper with the V5C/2 can get the licence at a post office.

A new keeper without the V5C/2 has to send the form V62 to the DVLA and wait up to 6 weeks for their V5C before they can license the vehicle.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    Only the current keeper (with form V62), or a new keeper with the V5C/2 can get the licence at a post office.

A new keeper without the V5C/2 has to send the form V62 to the DVLA and wait up to 6 weeks for their V5C before they can license the vehicle.
    ^ This.

It even says so on the V62 itself.
    Section F - "What to do if you also need to tax the vehicle"
    "If you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle you may not be able to tax until you get a V5C in your name"
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/701449/v62-application-for-a-vehicle-registration-certificate.pdf

But 6wks? Nah, far less. I doubt it'll be two. But it certainly won't be for this weekend...
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But 6wks? Nah, far less. I doubt it'll be two. But it certainly won't be for this weekend...

It depends, if the old keeper has notified the DVLA of the sale, if they have, the V5C will be sent to the new keeper on receipt of the V62 - usually up to 2 weeks.

If the DVLA have not been notified, they will write to the current keeper and there is a delay while wait for a reply before sending the V5C - it is that process that the can take up to 6 weeks.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    Ah, yes. Good point. And since the old keeper's lost the V5C...
  • lalaluna88
    lalaluna88 Posts: 25
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for clarifying, I thought that would be the case but being told conflicting information from friend and family. Will pop in the post and keep everything crossed for a speedy response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure