IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parents contacted parking company for me... :/

Options
Despite living 150 miles away, being in my mid 20s and well aware of how to sort my own business out, my parents have decided to contact UKPC for me to 'argue me out of' a parking fine I received in my current property 2 months ago. (Though the details are somewhat inconsequential, the basic gist of it is someone was parked in my space, I moved to a different space but had my old parking permit for my previous place in my car rather than the new car park, so was deemed as having no permit and using someone elses space). My important mail is still in my parents address as I'm a student and don't have a fixed place atm so it's just easier (checked with the DVLA and they were fine with that).

When they received the letter I asked them not to touch it, I'll sort it out. They received a second letter, doubling the fine, and so decided to write to the company telling them it wasn't my fault, with a story about how I was in a hurry and stressed out over someone parking in my space, and giving my current address.

Is there anything I can do about this? They've 'helpfully' sent me an email that they want me to send to the company and advised that I just pay whatever they ask for next to get it done with but I am absolutely loathed to give these crooks any money. Have they stuffed me up or could I salvage the situation?

I think my mum's been reading fake facebook posts about companies taking people to court over one parking ticket and charging them £12k for the pleasure and is now stressing herself out about it thinking that the bailiffs are imminently going to appear on her doorstop.
£2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:30PM
    Options
    You need to either stop your parents opening your post or arrange redirection

Read up in the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum on how these progress.

You are probably too late to appeal and are in the debt collectors stage. You can ignore debt collectors

Get on to the landowner to get this cancelled, and come back if you get Court correspondence for advice on how to defend this

Make sure the PPC has your correct address
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Well whatever your parents say isn't valid anyway, as the debt is yours and the PPC shouldn't discuss it with anyone else.

But equally you should just have your mail sent to wherever you are. It's not difficult to change address
  • kiss_me_now9
    kiss_me_now9 Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:42PM
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You need to either stop your parents opening your post or arrange redirection

Read up in the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum on how these progress.

You are probably too late to appeal and are in the debt collectors stage. You can ignore debt collectors

Get on to the landowner to get this cancelled, and come back if you get Court correspondence for advice on how to defend this

Make sure the PPC has your correct address

Oh trust me, I've tried. When I got it I read through the threads on here and my tenancy agreement - which doesn't mention parking permits in anyway - so was fully prepared to sort this out myself and they just can't leave well enough alone. 27 going on 12 in their eyes I think :(

When you say landowner, do you mean the people who own the place I rent? Landlord or Management Agency?
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Well whatever your parents say isn't valid anyway, as the debt is yours and the PPC shouldn't discuss it with anyone else.

But equally you should just have your mail sent to wherever you are. It's not difficult to change address

Will they disregard it then? I have an awful feeling they sent it in my name - or at least said we're her parents, this is hers etc. etc :(

Important mail like that is sent to my parents address until I get somewhere more permanent as I've moved about 10 times in the last 8 years and it's a PITA to keep changing it on everything! I'm quite happy with it going there, but if they keep opening it and messing around I will have to get it sent here (the postboxes here aren't massively secure so I'm not ok with important documents coming up here - I've been in 3 months and had to have a new post box door fitted twice because it's been broken/the locks been broken into already).

ETA- I am completely aware of how !!!!!!!g ridiculous this post looks. I haven't spoken to them about it yet because honestly I think if I called them right now, I couldn't hold my temper. Please try and refrain from commenting on how ridiculous it is XD
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Complain to whoever arranged the parking enforcement.

The ppc will use the lettes your parents sent if there is any mileage in them for them to use.

But assuming you are outside the appeals window this will either die, get cancelled following your complaints to the ll/agent or result in Court action
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Given this is an 'own space' situation, you'll probably already have seen from other threads that being outed as driver (if indeed that's what's happened here) isn't the worst thing. That said, when you are able to have a civil conversation with your parents, I would want to see exactly what they wrote, just in case things do escalate past debt collector stage in future.

You might also want to tell them to have a look at this site if they want to see how the parking industry really works! And the very best of luck, because you clearly have your work cut out here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure