Help... I feel like my head is about to explode :(

Comments

• barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    So you've been with this new guy for a couple of months and yet you can't have one night on your own without him going out and getting "smashed" in retaliation?

To be honest, he sounds like the problem, not your ex, and your feelings about your cancelled wedding (which are perfectly normal, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to look back without some regrets or thoughts of "what might have been")

You shouldn't have to spend every single minute of your spare time with your new man, you have a perfect right to time alone and time with your friends and family, without him. When I met my (now) husband, we moved in together after only 3 months or thereabouts. But we still had time apart, I would spend a night in alone when he was out with his friends or his kids, and he was quite happy for me to go clubbing with my mates, even if he had no plans to go out for the night. You shouldn't have to "ask" for a night or two off, you should be seeing him when YOU want to, not when he expects you to.

You need to have a chat with your current squeeze and tell him that you'll happily see him a couple of times a week and at weekends (or whatever suits you) Don't put up with sulks or tantrums, this is the start of controlling behaviour and it can be very hard to break out of that cycle when it becomes embedded in a relationship.

If you want to spend an evening crying over your cancelled wedding, that's perfectly fine. Get it out of your system, you'll feel much better afterwards, and probably a bit daft too. You left your ex for a good reason, that doesn't mean that you're not allowed to think about him ever again. But wallow for a bit, then go out and have some fun. And if your boyfriend doesn't like it, then tough.....that's his problem, not yours.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Pretty sure my post also said that if not in exactly those words - e.g. timing off, haven't moved on from ex emotionally. But the temper tantrums weren't about the ex anyway, the OP hadn't mentioned her feelings to him at that point.
    No I understand, but perhaps the OP isn't as careful with what she says in person as she is on a written forum?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think you know deep down the current BF isn't right and you are worrying about being single again, especially around the wedding date and feeling like a failure (you're not!). Next year, you won't even remember what date the wedding was for.

You're focussing on the wrong thing to distract yourself from your current relationship probs.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Guest101
    Tempus01 wrote: »
    I am very careful and clear with what I say in person. I said to my BF I wanted to have some me time and that I would see him the next day. He decided that wasn't okay, had a go at me and ended up going out getting blind drunk and not remembering his night.

Obvious shouldn't have a go at you, but equally you have no say in what he does on his night out. If he wants to get blind drunk, how is that relevant to you?
  • hazyjo
    I wouldn't say I'm worried about being single and I am more than happy in my own company :) I think everything is just getting on top of me, so everything seems like a big deal and I'm overthinking everything
    He sounds very controlling - and anyone who looks for petty excuses to go get blind drunk has issues (probably with alcohol). It's only 2 months, not 2 years. If anyone spoke to me like that, I'd dump them. You say it's 'amazing' so I guess he must be doing something right...
  • Guest101
    hazyjo wrote: »
    He sounds very controlling - and anyone who looks for petty excuses to go get blind drunk has issues (probably with alcohol). It's only 2 months, not 2 years. If anyone spoke to me like that, I'd dump them. You say it's 'amazing' so I guess he must be doing something right...
    Equally if she wants time to herself and he decides to spend that time having a few too many, what concern is that of hers?

Should he be sat at home waiting for her to call?
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OP also mentioned that he "had a go" at her.....not ok, just because she wants a night alone.

If they had made plans to go out and she cancelled at the last minute, I could understand him being annoyed, but this sounds like him having a tantrum because she didn't want to see him for one night. Personally, I don't think he had any right to "have a go", although getting drunk is obviously his choice and his business.

It sounds a little like emotional blackmail to me though....
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • hazyjo
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Equally if she wants time to herself and he decides to spend that time having a few too many, what concern is that of hers?

Should he be sat at home waiting for her to call?

None - but for the reasons the OP gave (spelt out below), it comes across as very controlling.

If my OH said he was going out, would it be right that I have a go at him, throw all my toys out the pram and go out and get blind drunk because of it?
    I'm not concerened about him drinking, but doing it because he's in a strop isn't great

Exactly that.
    barbiedoll wrote: »
    OP also mentioned that he "had a go" at her.....not ok, just because she wants a night alone.

If they had made plans to go out and she cancelled at the last minute, I could understand him being annoyed, but this sounds like him having a tantrum because she didn't want to see him for one night. Personally, I don't think he had any right to "have a go", although getting drunk is obviously his choice and his business.

It sounds a little like emotional blackmail to me though....
    And that.
  • Guest101
    hazyjo wrote: »
    None - but for the reasons the OP gave (spelt out below), it comes across as very controlling.

If my OH said he was going out, would it be right that I have a go at him, throw all my toys out the pram and go out and get blind drunk because of it?

Exactly that.

And that.
    Can I refer you to the first 7 words in post 21?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hour current partner sounds too clingy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business