Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michaela1436
    • By Michaela1436 18th Aug 19, 10:52 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Michaela1436
    Broken Engagement Ring
    • 18th Aug 19, 10:52 AM
    Broken Engagement Ring 18th Aug 19 at 10:52 AM
    Hello,

TL;DR
    Shop took ring to be resized and they returned it late and damaged, had to be sent back for even more work meaning we missed out on getting to show people/having our engagement photo shoot. What are our rights?

My partner purchased my engagement ring back in June this year then proposed with it about 2 weeks later. Unfortunately the ring was much too big (my fault, I hinted with the wrong size...) so we took it to the jewellers to see about resizing. The place he bought it from originally was an online company and so for them to resize it for free we would’ve had to trust posting it to them which neither of us were comfortable with hence going into a shop. The shop checked my size against it and found it needed to be made 2.5 sizes smaller. They told us how much that would cost and gave us no warnings that it could alter the diamonds security or the structural integrity of the ring. They got us to sign a form stating it’s current condition which was fine as the ring had all of its diamonds intact with no scratches as it had only been worn for a few days. They told us it would be back in store on a certain date.

That date comes and I call up to check if it’s ready for collection, they say no and the date we were told was an estimate...they gave us a 10% refund for not advising about the estimate.

The ring was then available to collect so I went to pick it up and found two nicks in the shank. We were due to go show my nana the ring the following day so the manager said he’d make a note of it, to take it with me then drop it back in another day and they’d fix it. Fine. But then I thought I’d stop by my mums on the way home to show her and immediately she spotted that one of the very small diamonds was missing! In the shop we were all concerned (incl. staff) about the two dings in the shank that we forgot to check the diamonds. I immediately tried to call the shop but no one answered and then they shut. I went back the following morning to show them and they apologised and said they’d fix it. I’ve just received it back now almost 6 weeks later, 8 weeks since the first send off. The ring is finally fixed and fits. But the lady in the shop mentioned they’d found impact marks by the missing diamond and tried to say I may have knocked it. I’d understand that logic had I actually been able to wear it!!

We’re going to call up their customer services tomorrow to file a complaint but were wondering what are our rights in this situation. Are we entitled to any compensation? We’ve had to delay our engagement photo shoot and I couldn’t show off my ring to my family in America when they visited because of them. They’ve caused a lot of stress and tears.

Thanks so much for reading this far...
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    • 4,476 Posts
    • 5,955 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    Hello,

TL;DR
    Shop took ring to be resized and they returned it late and damaged, had to be sent back for even more work meaning we missed out on getting to show people/having our engagement photo shoot. What are our rights?

My partner purchased my engagement ring back in June this year then proposed with it about 2 weeks later. Unfortunately the ring was much too big (my fault, I hinted with the wrong size...) so we took it to the jewellers to see about resizing. The place he bought it from originally was an online company and so for them to resize it for free we would’ve had to trust posting it to them which neither of us were comfortable with hence going into a shop. The shop checked my size against it and found it needed to be made 2.5 sizes smaller. They told us how much that would cost and gave us no warnings that it could alter the diamonds security or the structural integrity of the ring. They got us to sign a form stating it’s current condition which was fine as the ring had all of its diamonds intact with no scratches as it had only been worn for a few days. They told us it would be back in store on a certain date.

That date comes and I call up to check if it’s ready for collection, they say no and the date we were told was an estimate...they gave us a 10% refund for not advising about the estimate.

The ring was then available to collect so I went to pick it up and found two nicks in the shank. We were due to go show my nana the ring the following day so the manager said he’d make a note of it, to take it with me then drop it back in another day and they’d fix it. Fine. But then I thought I’d stop by my mums on the way home to show her and immediately she spotted that one of the very small diamonds was missing! In the shop we were all concerned (incl. staff) about the two dings in the shank that we forgot to check the diamonds. I immediately tried to call the shop but no one answered and then they shut. I went back the following morning to show them and they apologised and said they’d fix it. I’ve just received it back now almost 6 weeks later, 8 weeks since the first send off. The ring is finally fixed and fits. But the lady in the shop mentioned they’d found impact marks by the missing diamond and tried to say I may have knocked it. I’d understand that logic had I actually been able to wear it!!

We’re going to call up their customer services tomorrow to file a complaint but were wondering what are our rights in this situation. Are we entitled to any compensation? We’ve had to delay our engagement photo shoot and I couldn’t show off my ring to my family in America when they visited because of them. They’ve caused a lot of stress and tears.

Thanks so much for reading this far...
    Originally posted by Michaela1436
    TL;DR. How much do you want?

Your rights are to have your ring re-sized and fixed, which seems to have been done.

You won't get anything for spurious emotional claims about family not being able to see it. Frankly, that's ridiculous. If you incurred any actual losses from delaying your photo shoot you may have a case but only if you made it a condition of the resizing contract with the shop that it had to be done by a certain date. They were later than they said, for which you've already had a discount of 10%.
    • Michaela1436
    • By Michaela1436 18th Aug 19, 11:10 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michaela1436
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:10 AM
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:10 AM
    Thanks for the response, next time please don’t call me ridiculous as my family missing out was not ‘spurious’ as you call it. They visited for a family wedding and don’t come over often. You only needed to say ‘sorry to hear this but it sounds like you’ve received the best they can offer’ if you thought we were entitled to nothing. The point of the forum is to ask questions, not to be called ridiculous.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Aug 19, 11:20 AM
    • 4,476 Posts
    • 5,955 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:20 AM
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:20 AM
    'Spurious' is perfectly appropriate in this case because your claim for family not being able to see the ring isn't valid. That's exactly what spurious means. I wasn't calling you ridiculous, but your claims are. If you're going to try and claim for any genuine losses or seek a goodwill gesture for your trouble, you need to understand what is ridiculous and what is valid.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Aug 19, 11:25 AM
    • 23,305 Posts
    • 62,946 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:25 AM
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:25 AM
    You probably don't want to hear this either but even though you say "the ring is finally fixed' I'd be concerned that resizing by 2.5 sizes had compromised the integrity of the ring's design.
    But that's by-the-by and only time will tell.
    You are not entitled to any compensation for the ring being absent at the photo-shoot.
    You may be offered a goodwill gesture.

How did you choose the jeweller who did the resizing?
    Is it a small independent or a high street chain?
    Personally, I'd have chosen a manufacturing jeweller to do a resizing job.
    • Michaela1436
    • By Michaela1436 18th Aug 19, 11:27 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michaela1436
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:27 AM
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:27 AM
    ‘Spurious’ - not being what it purports to be; false or fake

It’s not fake as it genuinely happened.

I haven’t made any claims, I told a story then asked if we were entitled to anything. A simple no would’ve sufficed. I don’t want to file a complaint and miss out on something by being taken as a fool by the shop so I thought I’d ask a question.

The opposite of valid is invalid. Ridiculous is just name-calling....
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 18th Aug 19, 11:35 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 11,827 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:35 AM
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:35 AM
    I doubt this is going to be the end of your troubles with this ring. If one small diamond has already been lost then the chances are that more will be. Who will you then be able to claim against? The original retailer will blame the resizing for undermining the integrity of the setting. The jeweller who resized the ring will blame either the poor setting or you.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Aug 19, 11:53 AM
    • 4,476 Posts
    • 5,955 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:53 AM
    • 18th Aug 19, 11:53 AM
    ‘Spurious’ - not being what it purports to be; false or fake

It’s not fake as it genuinely happened.

I haven’t made any claims, I told a story then asked if we were entitled to anything. A simple no would’ve sufficed. I don’t want to file a complaint and miss out on something by being taken as a fool by the shop so I thought I’d ask a question.

The opposite of valid is invalid. Ridiculous is just name-calling....
    Originally posted by Michaela1436
    I don’t dispute it happened but a claim on the basis of family and emotional distress would be spurious and ridiculous given the circumstances. That’s not name-calling, that’s my view of the situation.

You didn’t read beyond the first definition. A spurious claim is one that is not valid. I don’t think yours would be valid and therefore I believe it’s spurious. You disagree. You’re free to ignore my view.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 18th Aug 19, 8:16 PM
    • 9,514 Posts
    • 13,930 Thanks
    meer53
    • 18th Aug 19, 8:16 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 8:16 PM
    You trusted the company to send it out by post, why didn't you send it back to them ? You could have insured it in case it got lost. I don't understand the engagement "photo shoot" thing either, surely family can take photos for you ? It's amazing what you can do with a smartphone these days ! You can even send photos to people in other countries
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 18th Aug 19, 9:01 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    With all due respect, people give up their free time to help out on the forum - you can’t dictate what they should be saying to you in reply to your post.

If you don’t like the answers you’re getting, just scroll on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

432Posts Today

6,263Users online

Martin's Twitter