Mattress From Hell

Options
Hi All,

First post here and really not sure where else to ask for help.

Bought mattress from John Lewis, the mattress is terrible. Collapsed in the middle and gives no support. Spoke to Johnlewis after having the mattress for 12 weeks as per instructions. They say nothing wrong with mattress but its terrible. Both my wife and I are in pain from the mattress. As it stands we have had the mattress less than a year. Cost of mattress lost of lost sleep and £1800. We are close to binning the mattress and getting a new one. Has anyone had problems with a mattress before and who to ask for help. I can supply all email correspondence if that helps.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many many people have a problem .
    Usual reason they bought the wrong mattress as opposed to a faulty mattress .

Has it been inspected by JL ??
    An independant report may help any claim under CR .
  • craigscott81
    Options
    Thank you JJ Egan, we bought the mattress after lots of research and advice from JL.
    Bed inspected and found within standards... We don't know what the standards are!
    We are unsure who to use for a report as North of the border we can only find one company that do reports for what we need and thats who JL used.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I suspect you're stuck if you can't get an independent report to say it's inherently unfit for purpose, unless you can show that the mattress doesn't address any particular requirements you stated to JL.

What advice did they give you in response to what your requirements were?
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    So a examination has taken place and found no problem .
    You will have difficulty pursuing this .
    Another independant examiner is likely to come up with the same result .
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Personal discomfort is not a fault of the mattress. It may just be wrong for you but that doesn't make it faulty.

The fact that you continued to use it will also weaken your case
  • preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    They cant be blamed for your discomfort I doubt its the mattress is at fault
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you JJ Egan, we bought the mattress after lots of research and advice from JL.
    Bed inspected and found within standards... We don't know what the standards are!
    We are unsure who to use for a report as North of the border we can only find one company that do reports for what we need and thats who JL used.

You might check with a Scottish Solicitor, but if there is only one firm north of the border and JL have used them, then I don't see that it would be unreasonable to use a company from South of the Border. You need an independent assessment of the mattress to see if their is a manufacturing fault.

As discussed, I would definitely ask JL for the standard that their company were using.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Furniture Ombudsman ??
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Furniture Ombudsman ??

Are John Lewis partners members?

https://www.thefurnitureombudsman.org/faq-resources/frequently-asked-questions/
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    I don't know who JL use for their inspections, I think it's FIRA? Homeserve Furniture Repairs ltd do operate all over the UK, or a a smaller local company may be able to do the same job for less.
    There's no guarantee that an independent report will state that the mattress is faulty, but it's your best bet at getting a report that is fair.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure