Failure by a luggage transfer service

Options

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    Options
    tbo127 wrote: »
    Then they should have contacted me beforehand. The onus is on them to deliver to the correct address regardless of anyone being there or not. It is not stated in their contract that they’ll take anywhere else and therefore they deviated from the contract with no prior notification expecting me to guess the time there’ll be there and that they’d take it to a different address. I should not have to worry about that since I paid them to fulfil their contract correctly.

Did you not break your side of the contract by not being there to accept the bags?
    Unattended bags at a train station. Can't see what could possibly go wrong!
  • tbo127
    tbo127 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was there 3 hours before the train. The night before I specified to the which train I was getting and told them that I would be there 3 hours before. They chose to deliver earlier to the wrong address. If they had delivered to the station and I wasn’t there and they left it there, that would be my fault since I was not there to accept the bags.
  • tbo127
    Options
    No I was there at the time I communicated to them the night before. And in any instance, I should not have to be doing their work for them. They should be the one communicating with me in advance the arrangements. Despite this, I made efforts both weeks before (in which they didn’t really respond) and the night before where I communicated the time I would be at the station. They chose to deliver earlier.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    I was there 3 hours before the train. The night before I specified to the which train I was getting and told them that I would be there 3 hours before. They chose to deliver earlier to the wrong address. If they had delivered to the station and I wasn’t there and they left it there, that would be my fault since I was not there to accept the bags.

Any sane company would not just leave bags unattended at a train station. (Think terrorism)

How much are you actually looking to try and claim?
  • tbo127
    Options
    It was a rural station with 4 trains a day or something. And if they can’t deliver to a station, they should have communicated that with me. They had plenty of opportunities to do so. In fact, I even have email correspondence where I asked if they can deliver there (it was one of my first emails to them) and they replied that it’s not a problem. I don’t think they have a leg to stand on.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Thats all well and good, but how much are you trying to claim?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    Options

With the way things are in the world right now do you really think anyone can leave unattended bags at any transportation station? A hotel is different because they have luggage holding rooms and probably deal with the company regularly to have a set procedure for dealing with them.

Did they ever agree to an exact time? You telling them the night before that you'll be there 3 hours before might not be suitable notice, most delivery companies need to plan routes in advance so they may have been in the area several hours before you. What time was agreed when you originally contacted them and did you give them any instructions on what to do if you were not there?
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to quantify your losses, the time/fuel to get the bags from your friends versus your time/effort to transport the bags yourself from the railway station to your home. If this was abroad then I'm sure there was a fair amount of effort involved. How far do you friend's live from your home?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • tbo127
    Options
    Either for the fuel to deliver the other bags or alternatively just the last days transfer since I was charged per bag per day.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Either for the fuel to deliver the other bags I thought it was only your bag that was not delivered and I presume they carrier paid to get the bag delivered to your friends, unclear what your losses are or alternatively just the last days transfer since I was charged per bag per day but surely you didn't lose out, the bag was eventually delivered to you and it probably only contained your dirty laundry so what's an extra week.

It's not clear what you are hoping to claim (see above in red).
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure